Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi and I am looking for every possible way to increase gas mileage because I am spending way too much money on gas but I know some people will say to sell it and get a different truck that has better gas mileage but its not that easy because it was my uncles truck and it was given to me after he passed away. Thanks for the help in advnace!

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
All Rams don't get great gas mileage and you can add and take away and for what 3 to 4 extra miles per gallon.The biggest thing you to do is not drive it like a bat out of hell with its wings on fire.

OP
OP
MusicMan14

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All Rams don't get great gas mileage and you can add and take away and for what 3 to 4 extra miles per gallon.The biggest thing you to do is not drive it like a bat out of hell with its wings on fire.
Cut down weight and be light on the pedal

I try to be very easy on the pedal as much as possible as well as I try to coast to stops rather than driving up to them and braking to save some fuel

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Have you tracked your mileage? Put Fuelly on your phone and you will know exactly what your mileage is and can track it over time.

Drive it very conservatively, you can drive it and have fun and pay for it at the pump or you can drive like a grandpa and squeeze every mile out of each gallon. Check out some sites on Hypermiling for some good tips.

How many miles on it, you may want to change the spark plugs and perhaps run some Seafoam through it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
MusicMan14

MusicMan14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you tracked your mileage? Put Fuelly on your phone and you will know exactly what your mileage is and can track it over time.

Drive it very conservatively, you can drive it and have fun and pay for it at the pump or you can drive like a grandpa and squeeze every mile out of each gallon. Check out some sites on Hypermiling for some good tips.

How many miles on it, you may want to change the spark plugs and perhaps run some Seafoam through it.

Good luck.

Well i'm not exactly able to track my mileage because my odometer does not show up on the dash all the time it randomly comes and goes so I don't know how to track the miles because of this. Ive asked in other forums about this problem but i am yet to figure it out. Thank you though for all of your tips i will definitely check into all of that

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lighten it as much as you can, be light on the pedal, change to taller gears (though this will affect your towing ability). Honestly there isn't all that much, my 03 quad cab weighs 5300lbs...I'd say get a smaller beater for daily commute (or like in my case, get an LX lol, still have a hemi plus MDS and mileage if you keep your foot out of it).

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't run aggressive tires, the rolling resistance burns extra fuel.

keep your windows up while driving, this will reduce wind drag.

Try not to use the A/C if equipped as it can heavily affect mileage.

Keep the truck light, don't carry anything you don't need to.

If you do much highway driving than removing the tailgate can reduce wind drag.

Drive like grandpa.

New plugs couldn't hurt but if not at least take them out and clean them.

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I have an 04 4x4 hemi. I literally clocked 14 mpg at last fill up. This is the best I've gotten so far with city/ highway mix. I just go easy on the pedal. Yah I might goose it here or there but not constant mashing the pedal either. Also I drive about 140 miles per week

mperryz24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drive like a Grandma or get a more economical vehicle! No bolt on accessories will make more than 1 or 2 additional miles per gallon.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
We all were your age once and a lot of young people like to see whats under the hood as you have read.Everyone who has wrote will tell you to go easy on the pedal and enjoy your truck I believe your gandpa would like for you too like he did.Take care may God bless you and your family.