Installed home link. Cant get it to work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. New to the site.
I just installed a overhead console with complete wiring harness into my 14 tradesman.
I have the 7" EVIC installed too. I know I probably don't have the CV2 option turned on, which I probably my problem.
Wondering if anyone knows how to turn it on with the Alfa OBD tool?
Any help would be appreciated.
Not new to vehicles and diagnostics. Im a master tech for Cadillac. But I have no access to Rams description and operation of systems or flashing modules.

Thanks!

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don’t think you have to flash anything for home link. I had the overhead console without home link, swapped out panels and homelink worked as advertised. I did follow the the directions for clearing old codes and reprogramming to my garage doors.

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think you have to flash anything for home link. I had the overhead console without home link, swapped out panels and homelink worked as advertised. I did follow the the directions for clearing old codes and reprogramming to my garage doors.

Yea, but i didn't have a overhead console or anything. I think that my issue. i think i may need to turn on the CV2 or CUN codes in the BCM. I would think it should work as long as it had power ( and it does) but when i press the button it doesn't show anything on my EVIC. So i have no idea it its really working or not. I have the Alfa OBD tool, but i havn't found anything in there for Home Link or console that will get it working.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, but i didn't have a overhead console or anything. I think that my issue. i think i may need to turn on the CV2 or CUN codes in the BCM. I would think it should work as long as it had power ( and it does) but when i press the button it doesn't show anything on my EVIC. So i have no idea it its really working or not. I have the Alfa OBD tool, but i havn't found anything in there for Home Link or console that will get it working.

Did you have a wiring harness to plug it and power up the homelink?

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have a wiring harness to plug it and power up the homelink?
Yea. I got the console with the complete harness out of a laramie. Has homelink, sunroof and rear slider switch.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys. New to the site.
I just installed a overhead console with complete wiring harness into my 14 tradesman.
I have the 7" EVIC installed too. I know I probably don't have the CV2 option turned on, which I probably my problem.
Wondering if anyone knows how to turn it on with the Alfa OBD tool?
Any help would be appreciated.
Not new to vehicles and diagnostics. Im a master tech for Cadillac. But I have no access to Rams description and operation of systems or flashing modules.

Thanks!
There’s no actual sales code or setting for the homelink itself, but, the overhead console contains the compass, and that’s what gets enabled when you add the CV2 sales code. Those who already have the overhead console/compass without homelink only need to plug in the homelink module for it to work. Check these settings in alfa car configuration change:

VehConfig 3- display compass heading present- yes

LIN and misc- compass mounting orientation- upside down

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s no actual sales code or setting for the homelink itself, but, the overhead console contains the compass, and that’s what gets enabled when you add the CV2 sales code. Those who already have the overhead console/compass without homelink only need to plug in the homelink module for it to work. Check these settings in alfa car configuration change:

VehConfig 3- display compass heading present- yes

LIN and misc- compass mounting orientation- upside down

Just checked. Both of those options are set correctly.
I not really sure what I'm missing here. My EVIC came out of a 14 BigHorn.
My overhead console setup is out of a 2016 Laramie.

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
id really like to see the connector end view for the HomeLink module.
Im thinking there might be a issue with the data link between the homelink and EVIC since i never get any message on the EVIC when i press the button. i know i have power because the homelink back lighting is on.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
id really like to see the connector end view for the HomeLink module.
Im thinking there might be a issue with the data link between the homelink and EVIC since i never get any message on the EVIC when i press the button. i know i have power because the homelink back lighting is on.
xkDLrUM.jpg
the lin bus wire must be used.

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
xkDLrUM.jpg
the lin bus wire must be used.
Any idea where pin 3 (Lin Bus) goes? Front connector at A-pillar or back C pillar. I can then check the other side of that connector and see if i have a pin there.

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok i found it. It goes into front a-pillar connector, cavitiy 2. I've got a wire on the other side too. So data line should be fine. I wonder if i have a bad HomeLink

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just checked. Both of those options are set correctly.
I not really sure what I'm missing here. My EVIC came out of a 14 BigHorn.
My overhead console setup is out of a 2016 Laramie.
Check this one also:
LIN and misc- EOM present- yes

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Ill check that when i get home tonight.
I also just noticed last night the small light in the console that lights up the cup holder area isn't on. It's just a simple two wire LED.
Wondering why it's not on? Any chance you know the schematics on that or how it's powered up? I would assume it's always on with ignition like our Cadillacs.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks. Ill check that when i get home tonight.
I also just noticed last night the small light in the console that lights up the cup holder area isn't on. It's just a simple two wire LED.
Wondering why it's not on? Any chance you know the schematics on that or how it's powered up? I would assume it's always on with ignition like our Cadillacs.
That should be it’s own separate 2 position connector. What do you have it hooked up to?

2HXKo68.jpg

NUeyL6n.jpg

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmm.... wondering if Im missing part of my harness in the roof.
I know i had two spare connectors i left up in the headliner. I know one went too the sunroof motor(which i don't have). Wasn't sure if the other one was maybe a over head DVD player.
Only two plugs i have plugged in from the headliner are the one at the L/F A-pillar and L/R C-pillar. Assumed most everything through those two. I never had anything run down the R/R or R/F pillars

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok i found it. It goes into front a-pillar connector, cavitiy 2. I've got a wire on the other side too. So data line should be fine. I wonder if i have a bad HomeLink
Is that the green connector on the drivers side?

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check this one also:
LIN and misc- EOM present- yes
That was it!!!! Works like a champ now and programed right up!! Thanks a lot man. I had a feeling it had too be data related.

OP
OP
JayTee82

JayTee82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That should be it’s own separate 2 position connector. What do you have it hooked up to?

2HXKo68.jpg

NUeyL6n.jpg
Ok so i found the plug on the R/R c-pillar, and sure enough there is a connector there with a white/green wire in cavity 6. I bet that second plug was supposed to go down there. I'll have to find out how i can reroute that harness up there to come down now.