IS IT TIME 5.7 TO GET DROPPED ???

do you think CHRYSLER need to drop the 5.7 hemi

• 5.7 hemi is ok in ram1500

Votes: 85 73.3%
  • TIME FOR CHANGE !!!! need more power to keep up with competition

Votes: 32 27.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree. Sunday is my only day off as it is and the wife and I on average will ride more than 300 miles just sight seeing and going to different places. Guess I'll have to add an extra hour to our already time strapped trips to charge my battery. We love back roads with sights. If they ever put the "Horse in front of the cart" this probably won't happen as fast as home bodies are hoping for. (My hopes at least).
For the overland guys it will be gas cans still, but the addition of a generator to put the "gas" in the car/truck. I wonder if you can charge while driving for more range or the charge point is disabled while driving. Be a good time saver if you can charge and drive knowing you'd have to stop to charge anyways.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, there are already waaaaay too many pages here debating the claimed mpg of other brands for me to read them all, but my take (maybe already suggested in the previoues 26 pages) is that rather than ditch the 5.7, Stelantis should add twin turbos to it. They probably wont though, all manufacturers have already started putting all their R&D money into full EV, so that is when the 5.7 will go away.

Kermudge

U.S. Navy Retired 68-95
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 3:92 Gears. LSD, 8 speed.
Consumers drive the market. Hence don't buy electric and then what will the manufactures do?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Sure, until "they" make fuel stupid expensive.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If we keep buying gas the manufacturers will keep making them, but as more and more government levies are applied on gas and gas powered vehicles eventually they'll get so expensive we'll want them, but won't be able to afford them and settle for what we can manage. The government incentivized, but still more expensive than we've become used to electrics. They may become luxury items for the wealthy objectors. We'll be like the people who dream of driving a Ferrari, but are forced to settle on a 20 year old neon with 500,000 miles on it.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If we keep buying gas the manufacturers will keep making them, but as more and more government levies are applied on gas and gas powered vehicles eventually they'll get so expensive we'll want them, but won't be able to afford them and settle for what we can manage. The government incentivized, but still more expensive than we've become used to electrics. They may become luxury items for the wealthy objectors. We'll be like the people who dream of driving a Ferrari, but are forced to settle on a 20 year old neon with 500,000 miles on it.
LOL, I can be pretty head set when something is being forced on me.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
LOL, I can be pretty head set when something is being forced on me.
You're not the only one, but sometimes winning just costs too much. For now I can still get my way in my budget so I speak with my wallet and stick to gas and plan to as long as I can. I'm open to change though as long as I see it as an actual benefit. If I start seeing high mileage electrics running strong and charge times drop to 15-20 minutes tops and similar to gas range without causing rolling blackouts to keep up with charge demand I'll probably come around.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You're not the only one, but sometimes winning just costs too much. For now I can still get my way in my budget so I speak with my wallet and stick to gas and plan to as long as I can. I'm open to change though as long as I see it as an actual benefit. If I start seeing high mileage electrics running strong and charge times drop to 15-20 minutes tops and similar to gas range without causing rolling blackouts to keep up with charge demand I'll probably come around.
For me it's not about winning, it's about me having the same right as the one's wanting change. I want them to have what they want and them to leave me alone and allow me the same choice. At my age I don't think I have to worry about all the used gas powered cars being gone anyway, heck they may start being so cheap to buy with all this EV stuff going on it may work out to my advantage!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I've said it a thousand times, why does anyone buy a Mopar and brag on other brands? If the others are better, stick with them. That question will NEVER be answered!
For the same reason you don't brag about your ex-wife...You found a younger, better model...She's just (insert race here) instead of (insert race here). o_O

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree more careful reading is required, read it again, he is not specifically speaking SRT, he references SRT but moves on. Nore specifically ...

"Then when it came out recently that the Hellcats are getting canceled at the end of 2023 I predicted that would also be the curtain call for all the Hemi V8s, something which was just confirmed.
Replacing the Hemi V8 will be the GME T6 or the Global Medium Engine Turbocharged 6, a name which just rolls off the tongue. It will be used for all Stellantis Global medium platform models, which include the Dodge Challenger and Charger."
If taken out of context you can read it that way. But the evidence is he was specifically talking about SRT, then Dodge, then all medium car platforms. As you pointed out in the second example, the "new" engine will be used in all "Stellantis medium platform models." Ram is not of this group, and he noticeably doesn't mention Ram.

In his previous article on the same subject (Where Does Dodge Go with No More SRT Division" (Feb. 2021), he states "In other words, those wonderful Hellcat V8 engines are likely on the chopping block. We’re not sure if other Hemi engines will survive long term, but to be honest it looks grim." This is far from a positive statement that ALL Hemi V8s will disappear immediately or even in the near future, outside of cars.

As pointed out by a few others, the heavy-duty side of the light duty truck market has yet to embrace turbo charged 6's in their gasoline engines in the 2500 and up class. That's not to say nobody will in the future. But if you already have capable power plants in your stable, why develop something new.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062760 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just read an article about the mad hunt for lithium to mine. THAT should be interesting. And cobalt for the cathodes.
...and there's a world-wide shortage of copper predicted as well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062760 miles.

Sammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no way your 5.0 gets twice the mpg of the 5.7, same with the 3.5 - towing, unloaded, sitting in the garage. Not one of those motors gets 30+ mpg on the highway. You said they use half of the gas of the hemi, which means twice the mpg of the hemi.
I know for sure, they almost all get the same mpg as the hemi when towing at highway speeds.
I get 12.5-13.5 mpg towing my boat (about 5000 lbs or so) @ 74 mph on the level - so which ford truck do you have that will ger 24-26 mpg under the same conditions???
It’s not half as much as 5.7 that is exaggerating.
I still put half the amount of fuel in my ford, then I did any of my 5.7s
I would get 13 mpg normal driving and 7mpg towing with 5.7
According to the lie-o-meter on I’m getting 20 mpg combined and
10.5 mpg towing with 3.5.

I worked out my totals with ram when I still had them. I have not done a rock solid test with 3.5 BUT my fuel bill is backing that up.
On the highway cruising 120kph 5.7 would get 18mpg
3.5 will do 23.5 mpg
I don’t have flat country where I live. This is why 5.7 isn’t close to fuel economic as 3.5 for me. I’m going to burn more fuel at 4000 rpm pulling a hill then I am at 2000 rpm pulling same hill towing.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If taken out of context you can read it that way. But the evidence is he was specifically talking about SRT, then Dodge, then all medium car platforms. As you pointed out in the second example, the "new" engine will be used in all "Stellantis medium platform models." Ram is not of this group, and he noticeably doesn't mention Ram.

In his previous article on the same subject (Where Does Dodge Go with No More SRT Division" (Feb. 2021), he states "In other words, those wonderful Hellcat V8 engines are likely on the chopping block. We’re not sure if other Hemi engines will survive long term, but to be honest it looks grim." This is far from a positive statement that ALL Hemi V8s will disappear immediately or even in the near future, outside of cars.

As pointed out by a few others, the heavy-duty side of the light duty truck market has yet to embrace turbo charged 6's in their gasoline engines in the 2500 and up class. That's not to say nobody will in the future. But if you already have capable power plants in your stable, why develop something new.

Regards,
Dusty
Hence the reason I didn't mention RAM either. Just pointing out it is coming and sooner than later. None of the current engines will meet the emissions standards currently set for 2026MY and now the EPA states they have a new proposal which is even more stringent than that, 10% over 2023MY and 5% every year after. Also the EPA lumps light duty and medium platform vehicles into the same category so what hits one gets the other. My guess it will happen whether it's embraced or not, capable engines or not. Their not doing this because they want to, their doing to it because they have to and it will also save money in the long run. Their doing what the others are, prepping for zero emissions.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
For the same reason you don't brag about your ex-wife...You found a younger, better model...She's just (insert race here) instead of (insert race here). o_O
LOL. You're talking to someone that has been married to the same woman for 42 years and still don't want a different model! A good reason I don't have an ex wife! So still doesn't explain it to me!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not half as much as 5.7 that is exaggerating.
I still put half the amount of fuel in my ford, then I did any of my 5.7s
I would get 13 mpg normal driving and 7mpg towing with 5.7
According to the lie-o-meter on I’m getting 20 mpg combined and
10.5 mpg towing with 3.5.

I worked out my totals with ram when I still had them. I have not done a rock solid test with 3.5 BUT my fuel bill is backing that up.
On the highway cruising 120kph 5.7 would get 18mpg
3.5 will do 23.5 mpg
I don’t have flat country where I live. This is why 5.7 isn’t close to fuel economic as 3.5 for me. I’m going to burn more fuel at 4000 rpm pulling a hill then I am at 2000 rpm pulling same hill towing.
Your 5.7's got much worse mpg than mine does and stock mine would only get 17 mpg highway. I don't live in any flat area either but my overall driving I ave. about 14-16 depending with no highway driving.
I can believe the 20 combined and 10.5 towing with the 3.5.
Even towing the boat through the mountains, I still averaged 11-12 mpg.
The turbos would really shine in high elevation with a load on and even then some running empty. I get pretty decent mpg at 9000' running empty usually around 19-20 mpg. depending on winds. The thinner air helps with air resistance.