Is she just depressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is the best way to describe it. My 2012 has been through a lot. Bought in jersey. Has been to ny to Florida and back several times. Has seen 2 years of a 2 hour twice a day commute on the highways. Complete with full throttle merges. Then took my family and I completely across county to Bellingham WA. TO The ferry to the last frontier. She now resides in ketchikan ak. With almost 50k miles. The last few months she just seems tired, Or sluggish. I still do the 5 k mile oil changes with reg oil, Clean CAI. Every other change. And even try to hammer it every once in a while. But it's hard to even get above 50 here. It's hard to explain but. It Boggs going up hills more than usual, Doesn't seem to shift as ( peppy) as usual. Throttle response sux. And I can't really tell. But my wife says my exhaust sounds different More " gurgley" she calls it. I also notices today while trying to hold at 1000 rpm. Even after warm. It would jump up and down 100 rpm. I'm not sure what gives. Is the lazy rainy island life killing my truck. How do I wake her back up. As I refuse to believe at only 50k. She's tired

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Must........have........tune........up............and clean your throttle body. Do you have a catch can? Throttle body is probably nasty. Please, please, please, post up pictures on here if it has never been cleaned before and you do clean it. For the naysayers etc. New spark plugs, too. Maybe a fuel injector cleaner of some type. Run some super unleaded thru it and see if it helps, if so then maybe the truck is holding back or something from bad fuel. And disconnect your battery to reset the trucks computer, too.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
It almost sounds like your cats have gone bad...

Tune up could never hurt, but get underneath with with a rubber mallet and tap em, see if they rattle.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Bad cats could cause all of those issues, would surprise me no cel emission items tend to be easy triggers. It does explain every thing. But a tune up never hurts either.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't read you changing the plugs, 50,000 miles is way past plug time IMO.
I did it at 35k on my '11 and it made a notable difference.

Another thing, I'm not sure what the elevation is at where you are in AK, but it can make a very notable decrease in power (coming from someone who used to live at 7,500')

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The plugs were done at 38k Right before i drive out here. Ill check the cats, Snd i hate to day it But no ive never cleaned the TB THE front blade looked clean when i put my intake on. Do i use brakleen Or carb cleaner.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 50,000 miles, it's barely broken in.

Fix your truck.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's in Ketchikan, so still at sea level. Maybe he just needs a Catch-it-can. LOL

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hahaha Funny guy. So if it is the cats Y have they
gone bad so early

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Why not take it to the dealer? its 2-3 years old, and has 50K.. Its still covered under the 5yr/100k power train warranty

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A. In on an island with no dealer, And its a 1200$ ferry ride to seattle
B. with no CEL Walkn into the dealer and telling them my truck feels depressed probly wont get me far

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hahaha Funny guy. So if it is the cats Y have they
gone bad so early

Have you ran any additives? Such as ISO heat or anything? Those product typically contain alcohol witch can potentially burn out the cats. And sometime **** happens just could be faulty from the manufacture. I had my transmission rebuild in my f-150 and got a bad converter and it shelled the re built Trans in about 2 weeks. Brand new converter came undone it happens.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do not use throttle body cleaner on electric throttle bodies.

Best to use brake cleaner on a rag and an old tooth brush and scrub away.

Brake cleaner is less harsh than throttle body cleaner?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Best thing you can do is go thru every preventative service you can to start eliminating things. Pull a few plugs that are easy to get to and look, you never know.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
THis is what I would do.

1.) get a oil catch can, sucking in oil through the intake does no good and for some reason the hemi like to suck oil through the PCV system.

2.) get a can of MAF cleaner… its designed to clean highly sensitive MAF sensors and clean out your TB. It drys by itself quickly like brake clean but not as harsh to electronics.

3.) Did you gap the plugs correctly? I thought I saw plug replacement wayyy later than 50k on my 2014 5.7 hemi.

4.) Get a bottle of Cataclean by mr gasket… if you cats didn't crumble when you tap them… might help alittle to clean them out. Before you spend 1200 on a fairy ride.

5.) I would put a super concentrated fuel injector/system cleaner in your tank. I like sea foam, lucas and That super expensive fuel system cleaner that comes in a kit with beaker looking bottles lol.

6.) reset the computer… replace gas, maybe even get a OB2 reader and see if your getting a lot of knock. Reader will tell you things like fuel pressure (often overlooked) and all that good stuff.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3.) Did you gap the plugs correctly? I thought I saw plug replacement wayyy later than 50k on my 2014 5.7 hemi.

2013's and earlier call for plugs every 30K miles. Starting in 14 we have 100K plugs. (nobody should wait 100k miles to change them though, just sayin')