Issues already with 5k miles...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understood the binding issue in 4x4 but equated snow with easily spinning tires, which isn't really the case with a 900# plow.

After a little digging, this hopping issue is common with the solid axles and Ujoints. I think my Jeep was smooth because it had a full time 4x4 setting also so it may have allowed some slippage from the tc. My 1500 and the Silverados are smooth because of the CV's. I guess I'll have to be careful turning and understand that this is a normal characteristic.

I generally try to turn the wheels while moving as it feels easier on the steering.

Thanks for the feedback.

"TC"?

Matt ott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If you want to plow snow buy a tractor.. Adjusting a wheel bearing is simple, adjusting hood again simple....

OP
OP
NH RAM

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
If you want to plow snow buy a tractor.. Adjusting a wheel bearing is simple, adjusting hood again simple....

I'm not sure if you're trying to be a smart___ or not, so I'm not going to make an assumption. I have no need for another piece of equipment, so spending money on a tractor wouldn't work for me, as much as I'd like one. I'm a first responder, so if I'm called in or my wife (cardiac catheter lab nurse and on-call emergency cath lab nurse) is called into work after our scheduled hours, we need a fast exit. Lives quite literally depend on it. A tractor wouldn't provide that. I also put a salt spreader / sander in the bed of my truck since my winding, hilly 600' driveway tends to ice over rather easily and I was going through too many bags of ice melt and buckets of sand. Lastly, I, like a large number of folks plow snow to make some extra money, which is not going to happen with a tractor.

As for adjusting wheel bearings, aren't they preset on these trucks? The truck has 5,000 miles, I figured that it's warrantied, so I'll let the techs sort it out nonetheless.

I know adjusting the hood is easy, I did it on my 2016 Ram. The reason I had the dealer check was because there is a TSB on the 1500's for the same issue and it required adding urethane to the inner hood panel. I wanted to be sure that I didn't need a similar remedy.

OP
OP
NH RAM

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
To accommodate the crown in the road, wouldn't the wheel be pointed right?
Sorry, should have clarified, I have it turned slightly left to maintain straight. Yes, on it's own, the wheel would want to drift right. No issues on flat areas, which almost don't exist.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
After reading all posts, I think a subtle but important detail got missed early on. That is, steering turned all the way to "locked" position vs turning only part way to lock.
I don't think everybody is on the same page here. Maybe I'm wrong.

My '17 2500 binds when turned to lock. Learned that very early on in snow in North Jersey. I just don't turn the wheel that far any more. This is in 4WD Low. In 4WD High, it only happens on pavement, again, at lock position.

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I just took my 3500 in because at 11,444 miles both upper ball joints had some play. I rotated my tires at our shop and we could all feel the play in the upper ball joints and at that low of miles I would expect zero play. I was told by the sealer that they were within tolerance. If at this low mileage they have play already then what will they be at 50,000 ? Thats BS to me there shouldn't be any play as far as I am concerned. I will just put a new set on myself that is greaseable.