It can breathe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So tonight I endeavored to remove another restriction to my tire roasting wantonness...

I swapped 40.5 in of sound deadening heaviness for 39.5 in of straight pipey goodness. I had heard tell on here that the stock muffler is not that much of a restriction, but I am not so sure. Maybe it is just the weight savings :p, but I doubt it.

I have few performance mods, 85 mm TB, Volant CAI, no ABS fuse (huge mod lol), and now no muffler. I roasted my tires in the same place I have romped on it many times, and only heard mild squealing in the past. In about 15 feet my truck was on its way to 2nd gear, which has NEVER happened before lol.

I would be interested to see if there is actually a dyno detectable difference, or if it is the EPIC sound alone which is making my panties wet. This thing now sounds almost as good as my 85 chevy. Perhaps I will have to upgrade to an 87 mm TB at some point, and add some headers to this bad boy... lol

Anyone else think they saw a difference swapping exhaust, or does it now just SOUND fast...? :)

DodgeThisRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a thread earlier today about that, everyone who replied said that it was all in your head. It sounds better so you think that it is performing better.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Before I went crazy with the mods on my 03 hemi, I had a cutout in front of the muffler, and opening the cutout on the dyno consistantly showed a 12hp/12tq gain. I see people all the time trying to say that you will lose tq with a free flowing exhaust, but that is false. Track times and dyno numbers backed my claims up as well as every truck that used to race with us at the time. We all ran cutouts, or just unhooked our exhaust at the track because the trucks always ran faster without it.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yes, but he's still got all the piping to restrict his flow. It doesn't sound like much, but with the exhaust bouncing around in the pipes, it can be decent amount of restriction.

Every vehicle responds differently to mods. It really depends how bad it was restricted from the factory IMO.