Jumping Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamacommander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been told not to jump off either the truck or other cars because of all the electronics in today’s trucks/cars. These trucks are upwards of 60 to 70k, if you get an electronic issue they are sometimes hard to fix. Any thoughts?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There’s nothing wrong with jump starting another vehicle.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the electronics in the vehicle.
There are specific points on the battery for the jumper cables. If ya look at the battery in your Ram there’s a tab over the positive that is for the cables.
I had a 2010 Camaro with the battery in the trunk. Under the hood was a red plastic box for the positive cable and a metal bar with a stamped emblem for the negative cable.
Even in the owners manual it shows the correct way to jump a dead car battery.
I hope this helps you help others.

The Blue Mule

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree that there is nothing that should cause a problem, as long as the basic process is followed correctly.

Connect the dead side positive first, then the two cables to the good battery, then the ground to the dead one. Better if you can find a good ground that is not on the battery. When charging, the batteries give off a bit of acid fumes, which are flammable. A spark can ignite them. Connecting the last cable away from the battery prevents a spark close to the battery. This is nothing new, been this way forever. Fact is, with today's sealed batteries, it's less of an issue.

Start the car, disconnect in the reverse order.

Only way you can really get into trouble is to connect backwards (Positive to Negative). That could well cause some trouble with the electronics.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ive jump started other peoples cars with my 2019.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like POLARIS said. Make sure when U do the negative to vehicle being jumped, to frame, and not to battery. The ole thing was when U do battery to battery at times an alternator surge on jumped vehicle could go back through cables to good vehicle and cause problems.

When I had to jump off my work vehicle, HAD to pull the fuses on all of the "added" stuff, until jumped off and battery charged. A lot of stuff was installed through a pigtail off of Positive side, bout 10K worth of stuff. I knew better then to be on the hook for that, LOL///////

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007