Just discovered another great thing about the Pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The catalytic converters would be very hard to steal from under the truck. A neighbor had his converter stolen the other day, and other people on the Nextdoor app were saying how they've had theirs stolen as well.

I took a look at my Ram and because of the way the V6 is designed, with the exhaust manifolds cast into the head, it has a catalytic converter on each side and they're way up into the engine compartment. There's no way you could cut off the upper end of it without opening the hood, and even then it would be difficult. Probably easier to unbolt it, but what druggie thief is going to take the time to do all that?

Most vehicles have the catalytic converter(s) under the vehicle, where it's very easy to cut the pipe on each end in a minute with a cordless sawzall.

So just another plus for the Pentastar!

Last edited:

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The catalytic converters would be very hard to steal from under the truck. A neighbor had his converter stolen the other day, and other people on the Nextdoor app were saying how they've had theirs stolen as well.

I took a look at my Ram and because of the way the V6 is designed, with the exhaust manifolds cast into the head, it has a catalytic converter on each side and they're way up into the engine compartment. There's no way you could cut off the upper end of it without opening the hood, and even then it would be difficult. Probably easier to unbolt it, but what druggie thief is going to take the time to do all that?

Most vehicles have the catalytic converter(s) under the vehicle, where it's very easy to cut the pipe on each end in a minute with a cordless sawzall.

So just another plus for the Pentastar!

I’ve noticed thousands of pluses with the Pentastar vs the other V6 engines on the market. Thank you for adding to the list.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Boom... me like... thanks for that... I was just looking at them yesterday when changing oil... noticed they looked tucked away

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tap4154

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Boom... me like... thanks for that... I was just looking at them yesterday when changing oil... noticed they looked tucked away

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

As you were so easily changing the oil and filter because the filter is on top of the engine on the Pentastar...

Yes, it was a great thing to discover. After I saw cats were being stolen around here, and I keep my truck on the driveway, I was getting worried. But they'll have to look for a Ram Hemi, with 2 cats underneath and easily accessible. Probably more accessible than the oil filter on the Hemi :cool:

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So whats the deal with the cats now?? Why do these worthless idiots want to steal them?? For the guts??
Be nice to catch one of them in the act - "What? There was a guy under there?? I didn't even see him, just got in leaving for work"

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So whats the deal with the cats now?? Why do these worthless idiots want to steal them?? For the guts??
Be nice to catch one of them in the act - "What? There was a guy under there?? I didn't even see him, just got in leaving for work"
The metals. I used to drive ambulance for the red cross. We kept on getting them stolen until we steel fenced with wire. In 2014 the police said the going rate on them was 300-400 canadian per cat converter. Its the rare metals used in a cat that are valuable that do the converter process & make them worth so much. A new cat converter for an e450 I seem to recall was like 3000 canadian from the ford dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
As you were so easily changing the oil and filter because the filter is on top of the engine on the Pentastar...

Yes, it was a great thing to discover. After I saw cats were being stolen around here, and I keep my truck on the driveway, I was getting worried. But they'll have to look for a Ram Hemi, with 2 cats underneath and easily accessible. Probably more accessible than the oil filter on the Hemi :cool:

Which is why i got a 2020 RAM Limited with the 3.6L instead of the 5.7L. Still hasn’t been delivered yet, but the time will come. I’m absolutely in love with the 3.6L, completely destroys the old 3.7L, and has more power than i’ll need and is paired to an amazing transmission. And not to mention it’s incredibly reliable too.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

OP
OP
tap4154

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
The metals. I used to drive ambulance for the red cross. We kept on getting them stolen until we steel fenced with wire. In 2014 the police said the going rate on them was 300-400 canadian per cat converter. Its the rare metals used in a cat that are valuable that do the converter process & make them worth so much. A new cat converter for an e450 I seem to recall was like 3000 canadian from the ford dealer.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

I have a motorhome in the backyard on a e450 chassis, and that's one big catalytic converter. Would be very easy to cut out as well.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
This was moved from the general discussion area because no-one is allowed to post in the V6 engine forum.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the mods didn't want to upset all the hemi owners who already have all kinds of negative issues to deal with? :D

LOL buying a ram with out 4x4 and a Hemi is like buying a V6 mustang.....my wife had one lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
tap4154

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Driving a V6 is like attending community college. When it comes up in conversation, it always come with justifications.

I am way past the testosterone need to drive a HEMI V8 and have 4 x 4 with the biggest tires in the world. My last Ford F-150 had a V6 and it was a great engine. Went 300,000 miles. This Ram V6 is even a better engine, and with the 8-speed transmission is a great package.

So I'm not justifying my purchase at all. I'm just SO happy I chose the V6, because I almost did pick the very same truck with a hemi in it. Oil changes much easier, gas mileage much better, catalytic converters harder to steal, if not impossible. No hemi tick, no MDS, and doesn't sound like a sewing machine. Six spark plugs instead of sixteen, what's not to love?

By the way mine is actually used for work, not just to prance around town looking like a tough guy :cool:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I would argue you're justifying your purchase by criticizing me for saying how much I love the V6 powertrain. There's more than enough V8 threads that you can post in, you don't have to invade the V6 threads with your Hemi tick sour grapes :D

I put a few Frontline chewables in the air filter housing. The box said it'd keep ticks away and so far so good.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I love it when the hemi guys feel inadequate. I mean, I REALLY love it... Those of us that have the 3.6 are happy and unless it was someone with $h!t credit or they couldn't afford more, we all purchased because it fit what we wanted.

I guess it's like a lot of other contests in life, if you feel a need to compete with someone who isn't trying to compete with you, the problem is yours and it's obvious to others that you lack the confidence in what your packin.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY Docwagon1776!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I love it when the hemi guys feel inadequate. I mean, I REALLY love it... Those of us that have the 3.6 are happy and unless it was someone with $h!t credit or they couldn't afford more, we all purchased because it fit what we wanted.

I guess it's like a lot of other contests in life, if you feel a need to compete with someone who isn't trying to compete with you, the problem is yours and it's obvious to others that you lack the confidence in what your packin.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY Docwagon1776!
^^Exactly that^^

Blue Mule