Kind of disappointed in my 2019 Classic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I bought this truck new in the hopes I would be trouble free for quite some time. Not to long ago I noticed some of my calipers were discolored. Yesterday the right rear wheel just locked up and the left front was extremely hot. Tonight I walked around the truck and every rotor is dark blue and this is at 28k miles. Which really surprises me because the truck does really well on fuel but I also mostly drive highway speeds. I hate to think if I was driving this intown what it would have done to the trans but I am sure this has not helped anyway. I hope the dealer will handle this all but knowing how dealers are and FCA not giving a crap. Might be the time for me to dump tis thing at Vroom or one of those places and go back to driving my old truck. Which does kinda bum me out because this truck is what I have always wanted.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not uncommon at all if you live in the rust belt.

They put very little lube on the caliper pins from the factory and the pads seize up easily against the abutment clips on these trucks in rust belt use. Happened to my 2017 in under 36k miles and my 2019 classic is due and I'm at 33k on it.

Only workaround is to disassemble, clean and re-lube what you can.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
^^^This^^^ It happens. Only thing is to keep it clean and lubed and it should be worry free. Another member had one of the whole brake pad fall out completely and he discovered that all the salt and crud eventually corroded his brakes all the way around.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And this is something that happens to other makes as well. I've had a fairly new Honda lock up a caliper, a Ford that ate through rear pads on 30k miles and another Honda that warped the hell out of front rotors by 20k miles.
If you want to dump a vehicle for a brake issue like you had.... Seems like you're looking for a reason to dump it. Unless you've had other issues with it...

OP
OP
jagman_xjs

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I would not have said it if I had not had other issues with with it, If you had read the last words of my statement it is what I always wanted . Thanks for judging me unfairly.

As far as keeping it clean I do not take it out when slat is on the road nor do I offroad it . I have a winter truck for that. I am sure the ABS module has failed and has fried my brakes as well.

Murdock188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happens sometimes, it's happened to me in 3 different vehicles. I know you said you've had other issues with the truck, what else have you had go wrong with it

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not all dealers suck, should be an easy fix. Might even be covered under warranty.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
really hate to hear other RAM owners having issues with their trucks. Mine has been almost trouble free. The only time it failed me while driving was a brake issue while I was pulling a trailer. The right front brake caliper locked up and smoke the rotor and brake pads. Had to replace rotor, pads, caliper etc. Has been find since though.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, mine has been trouble-free too.

If you've noticed it on multiple brakes, it could be something simple along the lines of perhaps rust on the pads keeps them from freely traveling back 'in' when the pedal is released (hence they 'drag'). That happens on a lot of cars/trucks. Usually minor filing on the pad backing plate can fix that. Overheated rotors might need to be replaced. OR, it could also possibly be a valve within the anti-lock module sticking ...or something along those lines. These are just 'guesses' at this point w/o seeing it. You're not two-foot driving are you (driving with foot resting on the brake?).

Get it to a dealer asap and see if they can work the issues out. Don't let it get you down. It might be something minor. These are really good trucks IMO.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would not have said it if I had not had other issues with with it, If you had read the last words of my statement it is what I always wanted . Thanks for judging me unfairly.

As far as keeping it clean I do not take it out when slat is on the road nor do I offroad it . I have a winter truck for that. I am sure the ABS module has failed and has fried my brakes as well.

For the classic style, cleanliness and keeping it off the winter time roads doesn't seem to matter much. It's being in that climate that does it. Like I say, I'm not sure if it's the lube they use (or the lack thereof), or the poor quality of the rotors. The OEM pads do seem to last a long time, but the rotors get pitted and lumpy very quickly as the pads hang up on the brackets/clips, which happens too soon. Replacement pads, rotors and the process of keeping things cleaned and lubed makes that problem completely go away.

The other brake concern I've posted about, with pics and solutions is the rear parking brakes.

If you don't pull the rear rotors and slather some type of long lasting lube on and around the actuator levers and cams that operate the P-brake shoes (all the metal/metal contact points), the whole works will turn to rusted solid junk on you, resulting in P-brake cable sag, an inop P-brake and a $1200+ shop fix to make it all work again. Again, keeping the cams lubed, will prevent this whole issue.

Jayzonk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suspect this is why my Honda dealer has regular brake maintenance at 40K intervals - they inspect, disassemble, and lubricate. Does Ram have a similar program? At first I thought this was a money grab, but maybe not!
I did two of these services with my Honda Accord, and it did not require new brakes until 110,000km (68,000 miles).

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought this truck new in the hopes I would be trouble free for quite some time. Not to long ago I noticed some of my calipers were discolored. Yesterday the right rear wheel just locked up and the left front was extremely hot. Tonight I walked around the truck and every rotor is dark blue and this is at 28k miles. Which really surprises me because the truck does really well on fuel but I also mostly drive highway speeds. I hate to think if I was driving this intown what it would have done to the trans but I am sure this has not helped anyway. I hope the dealer will handle this all but knowing how dealers are and FCA not giving a crap. Might be the time for me to dump tis thing at Vroom or one of those places and go back to driving my old truck. Which does kinda *** me out because this truck is what I have always wanted.

I had something like you but it was Chevy car. Less than 10k KM. I parked it for winter (Toronto Canada) drove F150.
It was covered but out side. I would start it once a week. Even drove once add more gas.
Two months, winter over. Went to drive it. Extremely hard to stop, and making horrible noise.
Drive to directly to dealer. Said needed new rotors, pads, blah blah. Not covered under warranty cause I didn't drive it and had it out side.
Took while but they did end up covering all costs.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had something like you but it was Chevy car. Less than 10k KM. I parked it for winter (Toronto Canada) drove F150.
It was covered but out side. I would start it once a week. Even drove once add more gas.
Two months, winter over. Went to drive it. Extremely hard to stop, and making horrible noise.
Drive to directly to dealer. Said needed new rotors, pads, blah blah. Not covered under warranty cause I didn't drive it and had it out side.
Took while but they did end up covering all costs.
So it really was your fault. What were you thinking taking your car outside. :happy175:

OP
OP
jagman_xjs

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
They finally covered mine. I periodically hit it with an infrared gun to see how they are doing. So far so good plus now the trans temp is staying down as well like it should.