Lease Return Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zerokoo149

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 Ram Hemi, I swapped out the muffler and stock air box at around 500 miles with a Magnaflow muffler and a K&N intake. I've been keeping all the stock stuff for when I eventually need to return the truck this coming summer.

Now I'm moving though, and I don't want to take that stuff with me if I don't have to. Has anyone had any trouble returning their lease with an aftermarket muffler and intake?

Also, I have some scratches from normal wear and tear from loading lumber and other things in my bed. The scratches are only in the bottom of the bed, the rest of the truck is in perfect condition, should I bed line the truck so I don't have to pay Ram to repair it?

Thanks!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You need to read the terms of your lease for the answers that apply to your situation. For scratches in the bed, doing anything to repair will probably cost you more than the amount they may deduct. But bed scratches are normal wear and tear so doubt there is any impact. But for modifications, you could hear stories all day and it won't matter. What does matter is what your contract says. Even if the parts indicate they don't void warranty it only matters what your contract allows. If unsure, contact your dealer and get, in writing, their opinion.

Good luck.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC once you are within 90 days of an FCA lease expiration you can call and schedule a lease inspection. This inspection is specifically designed to point out any items that may need attention prior to actual lease expiration - so if there are any question marks with respect to lease termination costs, you would know in advance. You may not yet be within the 99 day period however. Some dealers also perform these inspections, so you could always contact the dealer and ask if they could perform a lease inspection for you.

In general, IME the vehicle must be returned to stock parts before lease termination and you may be charged for aftermarket parts replacement, even if they don’t actually realize there are aftermarket parts on the vehicle during initial inspection. As someone else said - it’s all about what the legal contract states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lee955i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bed scratches are normal wear and tear as long as it's not gouged badly or dented. As far as the rest, well, it's never a good idea to mod a rental ;). Personally, i'd put it back to stock now so i'm not scrambling later. If you don't want to keep the mods, we have a classified forum :33:

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i wouldnt think the muffler would be va big deal, just depends on how sticlter the contrack is. the k&n intake i would take off and put oem back on to play itsafe

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Get a pre-return inspection done by the dealer you're returning it to. You may be surprised what they don't care about.

In my experience with lease returns, the lien holder won't care (likely won't ever see/hear them) about the mods, and your dealer will probably buy it from the lien holder and sell it as is.

As someone else said, you could always remove your bolt-ons and sell them in the FS section.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said above, there's the contract which will state everything in black and white, then there's the actual deal you get based on what you want to do.

If your plan is to follow FCAs procedure for turning it in and walking away, you will most likely be nickeled and dimed.

If you are going to re-lease or buy something outright, the sky is the limit and in my experience, I walked away from my leases with no additional cost to me.

I was turning it in early, over miles with worn tires and brakes as well.

When they wanted to make the deal, my stipulation was take the lease free and clear.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With the prices trucks are going for, it might be worth it to buy the truck, you could end up with a great deal and then even if you want to trade in later on, you might end up better than trying to buy a truck right now.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just for kicks, contact Carvana. carvana.com. Their purchase offers are very generous, and letting them wind down the lease saves you paying state sales tax if you buyout yourself.

I made almost $9k clear ending a lease early on a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab 4x4 last August. Very easy process and no surprises.