Level kit completed and Conversion Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I completed a 2.5'' level on my 2011 SLT 2wd and I must say it was a PITA! The alignment is done and after driving it for a few days and letting it settle it sits a hair higher in the front. So I'm thinking about going ahead and doing a 1" in the rear.

While I had everything apart I noticed the hubs looked like they are also used for the 4wd models. This got me thinking how hard would it be to do a 4wd swap. I know It would involve extensive part swaps (transfer case, tranny, axles etc. etc. ) But for a long term project collecting pieces at a time it might be worth it.

So what are your thoughts has anyone done a 2wd to 4wd conversion on a 4th Gen?

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Not worth the time and money. You would be better off trading in for a 4wd

Sent From My DROID RAZR MAXX Using Tapatalk 2

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you could find a donor ram for a decent price that was wrecked, you might be able to do it for a decent price. But from a cost/benefit standpoint of picking up parts one at a time, no, most definitely not. Just trade up after you get some mileage out of it.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good! Measure from the ram head in the wheel to the top of the wheel well opening front and rear to see how unlevel you are. A 1" spacer will most likely give you a rear high rake again

OP
OP
carcandy

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Looks good! Measure from the ram head in the wheel to the top of the wheel well opening front and rear to see how unlevel you are. A 1" spacer will most likely give you a rear high rake again

As it sits right now the front is about 3/8's higher than the rear. I think because I have the 4.7 vs. the Hemi Its lighter in the front therefore sitting higher. I'd rather have the rear sit a little higher than the front. I ordered the 1" spacers yesterday, they should be here Wednesday.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rear should sit a touch taller than the front. Just looks right this way.

How does the suspension look when sitting at ride height? Are you close to hitting bump stops etc?

Did you replace the shocks with the longer 2500 shocks?

OP
OP
carcandy

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
The rear should sit a touch taller than the front. Just looks right this way.

How does the suspension look when sitting at ride height? Are you close to hitting bump stops etc?

Did you replace the shocks with the longer 2500 shocks?

Everything looks pretty good at ride height, when I ordered the spacers I also got the shock extensions which ended up being too small so I'm waiting for the new ones to swap those out. So it has the stock shocks right now.

So stock 2500 shocks will fit right in, just longer though? I might end up doing that. What about the rear shocks? Should I have to upgrade with just one inch? (That's what she said, sorry had to get that in there)

OP
OP
carcandy

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
what kit did you end up getting?

The front was a ebay buy from performex. The rear is a Daystar which I just put on tonight. I'll get pictures of it up tomorrow. It sits perfect now, just about 1/4'' higher in the rear. The rear was a heck of a lot easier than the front. I love the overall stance now.

OP
OP
carcandy

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Here is the final Product with the 2.5" in the front and 1" in the rear. The final measurements are 32 1/4" in the front and about 32 1/2" in the rear from the bottom of the wheel to the fender lip.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That looks great!

I don't know for a fact that 2500 shocks would work, a competent parts guy could tell you.