Lifter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tn14outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm getting a camshaft and lifters replacement this week. My mechanic has already turned off the MDS. Which kind of lifters should be put in or does it matter?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Are you putting in a non mds cam? If so you need to replace the 8 mds lifters.

OP
OP
T

Tn14outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not doing it my mechanic is and he will use stock parts. He's already turned off the MDS.Should I tell him to use aftermarket lifters?

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 5.7 Hemi. If I could turn back time I would use Mopar OEM cam, lifter, and head gasket. I unfortunately used mopar cam, with aftermarket MDS lifters, and Fel Pro head gasket. I have a fairly loud ticking when the engine warms up. Not sure if its cheap lifters or the MLS head gasket being thicker causing more valve train clearance.

OP
OP
T

Tn14outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think he told me that he was going to use MDS lifters but I didn't understand at that time that you could use them even though it was turned off. I remember him saying that it could be turned back on at any time though.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 5.7 Hemi. If I could turn back time I would use Mopar OEM cam, lifter, and head gasket. I unfortunately used mopar cam, with aftermarket MDS lifters, and Fel Pro head gasket. I have a fairly loud ticking when the engine warms up. Not sure if its cheap lifters or the MLS head gasket being thicker causing more valve train clearance.

Not the head gaskets felpro is good what brand lifters did you use? I want to see if you used the same **** aftermarket once i used lol

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Said no one ever...lol..

I'm with you. I'm doing a Greene cam without chop so I can emissions. No mds. 2600-2800 stall at some point. Gotta try this mod out to.

For the OP sounds like they were just doing a stock cam replacement. I wouldn't put extra into the valve train with stock cam.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never had issues with Felpro head gaskets and head bolts. Heck 90% of the gasket on my ram is Felpro...lol...

The only OEM parts I used were the Water pump , Non-Mds Lifters and chain tensioner and guides. since Jay green said to use it and I trust the dude that tunes these for a living to have better info over random dudes on a forum... lol..

154896512_10159368501288552_5450701271224691301_o.jpg

Last edited:

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the head gaskets felpro is good what brand lifters did you use? I want to see if you used the same **** aftermarket once i used lol
It was some **** like GELUOXI from Amazon. Not sure, but I've put almost 16,000 miles on them and the same hot idle tick. No performance loss, just tick, tick, tick. Redline has definitely helped.

OP
OP
T

Tn14outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm with you. I'm doing a Greene cam without chop so I can emissions. No mds. 2600-2800 stall at some point. Gotta try this mod out to.

For the OP sounds like they were just doing a stock cam replacement. I wouldn't put extra into the valve train with stock cam.

Larry Meares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that the quality of Fel Pro is good. The Fel Pro head gasket is approximately .013" thicker than the OEM Mopar (at least I believe this to be correct). I have read a lot of post about longer pushrods eliminating the ticking

OP
OP
T

Tn14outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Would this be a good time to upgrade the problem of broken manifold bolts with a set of headers? Do they make any that bolt right up to

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Would this be a good time to upgrade the problem of broken manifold bolts with a set of headers? Do they make any that bolt right up to
these are direct bolt on to factory exhaust and I have them if you want I will sell them to you I done the lifter cam deal on mine and the damn weather in Nashville hung them up at UPS for days and I said I am not letting the headers hold me up on my reassembly a week so I went ahead and went back with the manifolds with new bolts. I want the headers but I not fighting the install in truck my plan was install on table like I did the manifolds before heads went back on I am returning them but its just as easy to sell vs going through the process of return nice headers It blows not getting to put them on mine here is amazon link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X3SHNYP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
71n1kPT85oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg