Lifter Tap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say this.

On my 16, IF I run the oem filter after a 100 or so miles, mine will lifter tick on startup.
JUST changing the filter to a NAPA Platinum stops all lifter tick on startup.
Oil doesn't bother mine in the least, dealer blend, full synthetic - it just doesn't care.

The truck sits as a standard practice for weeks and months on end all year every year.
I actually just started in the last week for the first time in 2-3 months (sitting outside in a carport the entire time in the northeast winter). Quiet as a church mouse and that's with dealer blend in it.

With the oem filter, just starting for a few minutes every week or so will guarantee a lifter tick within the next 2 starts - like clockwork.

So far the only oil it doesn't like is Quaker State QSUD 5-20 - motor was a bit noisier with this oil than any other.

MrDelete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try adding Archoil part no. AR9100 friction modifier. They also offer fuel additive that prevents degradation of gasoline formulated with ethanol. I use their products in my Polaris General, toy hauler generator, Kia SUV, and 2016 6.7 Cummins 2500. Extended my oil change intervals and made that Cummins sound like a Chinese made DuraMax.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I will say this.

On my 16, IF I run the oem filter after a 100 or so miles, mine will lifter tick on startup.
JUST changing the filter to a NAPA Platinum stops all lifter tick on startup.
Oil doesn't bother mine in the least, dealer blend, full synthetic - it just doesn't care.

The truck sits as a standard practice for weeks and months on end all year every year.
I actually just started in the last week for the first time in 2-3 months (sitting outside in a carport the entire time in the northeast winter). Quiet as a church mouse and that's with dealer blend in it.

With the oem filter, just starting for a few minutes every week or so will guarantee a lifter tick within the next 2 starts - like clockwork.

So far the only oil it doesn't like is Quaker State QSUD 5-20 - motor was a bit noisier with this oil than any other.

In some cases it can be this simple, I had the same thing happen with a puro synthetic filter and when I changed it to a RP filter the tick was gone. Apparently puro has changed their synthetic filters since I tried them, but that is how finicky these hemi "can" be. I never even heard about any other engines this prone to tick just with the smallest things such as an oil or filter.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
To me, this says oil filter restriction to flow is crucial. More and more evidence pointing to marginal lubrication of Hemi valvetrain.

This is why oil filter low flow restriction is more important than efficiency for these engines. If one can find a filter that provides both, that is good. I see only Fram Ultra Synthetic being that.

Royal Purple provides marginal filtration surface area, but the efficiency and durability is superb.

ttharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4th Gen Hemi 5.7
Hello all. My 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 sits for up to a few weeks at a time on occasion, and only has 52,000 miles. I know that lifter bleed down is a normal occurrence. My issue is the tapping is loud at startup for a good minute, quietens down some, but continues to tap for another 5min+. It will eventually quieten down to nothing, but I can imagine the damage that can be done in this amount of time.

I have always ran 5/20 Penzoil Platinum, and a good synthetic oil filter. I am thinking it's time to let it go and find something different. I just can't stand the thought of owning it as the camshaft lobes are being flattened.

It's a shame that many Hemi owners have to unnecessarily go through this. Ram fixing this issue would be a good start. The best looking most comfortable trucks on the market shouldn't have this ongoing issue.
I have a 2012 1500 Ram with 76k mi. and have never heard the lifter tick. I read about it a lot and I listen for it so guess I've been lucky. I drive it hard sometimes and it sits for days at times. I keep oil changed regularly and I installed a catch can when the truck was new.

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run a synthetic Wix filter and 5/20 Pennzoil Platinum. I wonder if I should make a change to something else. Any recommendations that have worked for you guys is greatly appreciated. Maybe the Wix is too restrictive.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
amazon for 6.85 you can try a 10 ounce bottle of biotech, like the thread says, kills a lot of ticks, just dump it in now.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run a synthetic Wix filter and 5/20 Pennzoil Platinum. I wonder if I should make a change to something else. Any recommendations that have worked for you guys is greatly appreciated. Maybe the Wix is too restrictive.
I ran that same combo from 18k-48k tick free. Only changed cause im an idiot and like to spend money on oil but still tick free at 53k

OP
OP
Bramic71

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran that same combo from 18k-48k tick free. Only changed cause im an idiot and like to spend money on oil but still tick free at 53k
Thank you for your response. Maybe I'll try a moly additive, and drive it a little more.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for your response. Maybe I'll try a moly additive, and drive it a little more.
Lubegard is the best moly additive from what ive read here on ram forum. You get oil soluable moly and esters to. Hope your hemi lives a long time! I should add to i got mine with 7k on it from a dealer and ran that oil til 12k and got a free change which i believe they used service pro conventional 5w20. I ran that till 18k befor switching to pennzoil platinum.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wix XP is (was?) a good synthetic media filter that was a bit coarse on filtration. If memory serves, it was 30 micron 99% where Fram Ultra & Royal Purple were in the 20 micron range. For engines with sensitive oil passages (typically where engine oil is used for hydraulic servo valves in VVt & MDS), this matters in terms of OCI's in preventing roller lifter and cam failures.

Which is why I run Fram Ultra.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wix XP is (was?) a good synthetic media filter that was a bit coarse on filtration. If memory serves, it was 30 micron 99% where Fram Ultra & Royal Purple were in the 20 micron range. For engines with sensitive oil passages (typically where engine oil is used for hydraulic servo valves in VVt & MDS), this matters in terms of OCI's in preventing roller lifter and cam failures.

Which is why I run Fram Ultra.
Hmmm good points. I use wix xp which i will likely keep doing. My second choice will be purolator boss

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Big Horn Hemi, about 77k miles. Have used 5w20 synthetics labeled Shell gas truck, NAPA, Blains Farm and Fleet, Valvoline and Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Syn. Filters only Purolator Pure-1 and NAPA Gold. 5 k mile changes. Added LubroMoly MOS2 additive every 20k. Have never heard the hemi tick. Truck delivers about 17.5 mpg local and 21.5 highway (70 mph) with a honest 23.3 mpg average from El Paso TX to central VA partially laden. Hemi is best engine I’ve ever had in a truck. Never a hiccup.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this now. Not sure how long I have but it has been at Least a Year. My 2011 has 65000 miles.
Running PUP 5/20 with Wix XP Filter and lube guard the past three oil changes which are every 5000 miles.
I was leaning to piston slap when cold but I am not sure.
I did a Blackstone test last oil change for the first time and it came back perfect.
Maby I will have to try a different filter

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2015 Ram 1500 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD

113K miles now, had 28.6K on the odo when purchased in Sept. of 2017

Had the startup tick fairly consistent, seemed worse if I would drive to the in-laws house a block away, on restart.

I use Penzoil platinum 5W-20, usually with Fram ultra synthetic filter. Usually go close to OCI on evic display.

Had upper rear manifold studs on both sides broken just under the head of the studs. Were easy to remove, just time-consuming to do.

New hardware, fel-pro gaskets, belt sanded both manifolds best I could, still slight warp-twist on rear cylinder BOTH sides. One month ago.

Added 15 oz. lubegard biotek (first time for ANY addative) with oil change. K&N oil filter (Fram ultra out of stock).

NO tick, and no tick on in-law 1 block run restart. Oil psi is 50-52 cruising hot 215° oil temp, 35 ish at hot idle.

Going to try 5w-30 or at least 50/50 next change.

Last edited: