Lifter tick after sitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think that this brief tick/tap at startup is actually a lubrication issue, but rather a hydraulic one. Sounds like a lifter is just bleeding down over time in your case if you've narrowed it down to only doing it after sitting. I also don't think that this brief tick is really all that big a deal. Not ideal for sure, but it is what it is.

Mine can sit for several days and not tick at startup, but if I start it cold and just move it across the driveway etc then shut it down it will tick/tap at the next startup even if it's only a few minutes later. If I hold revs to build oil pressure for 10-15 seconds it won't do it.
My '15 SLT will tap upon startup after every short-trip, unless I hold RPM's at about 2k for 10-15 seconds before turning it off after the short-trip.

It has done this EVER since I got her with 28,600 miles in Sept. Of '17.

She's inching up on 174,000 miles as I write this.

Believe me, I cringe whenever I hear it tap, because it sounds like sh*t for a few seconds. But if I do the hold rpm thing it does not happen.

Last edited:

NashTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I learned early on that I can’t park my ‘08 5.7 with the front end facing uphill. If I do even over night when I start it it sounds like gravel is being thrown around inside the engine. Park facing down hill no problem at all. Of course back in ‘08 the dealer couldn’t replicate the problem. So, for the past 15 years I’ve backed in facing downhill and it starts and runs absolutely quietly. Sounds strange I know, but with my truck it’s a fact.