Locked out of my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiny Thompson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, according to Ram and the salesman, it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock yourself out of these trucks. Guess what I did the other day?

I hate these keyless vehicles. That bulky fob is uncomfortable in my pocket at work and risks getting destroyed. So, by the end of the day, I've had it with it. So, on the ride home I usually toss it into the cup holder. When I got home, I got out of the truck and must have hit the door lock button while getting out and voila! The fob was locked in the truck and me out of it. Then I had to find the backup fob (cat had knocked it under the fridge) to get into the truck. It's a good thing it happened in my driveway, otherwise I would have had to bust a window to get into it.

Give me a keyed ignition any day of the week.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have the Passive Entry enabled with the Keyless Enter N Go system, if the fob is in the vehicle (or close enough to it), you can still open the doors. Hence the salesman's comment about you can't lock your keys in the vehicle.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, according to Ram and the salesman, it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock yourself out of these trucks. Guess what I did the other day?

I hate these keyless vehicles. That bulky fob is uncomfortable in my pocket at work and risks getting destroyed. So, by the end of the day, I've had it with it. So, on the ride home I usually toss it into the cup holder. When I got home, I got out of the truck and must have hit the door lock button while getting out and voila! The fob was locked in the truck and me out of it. Then I had to find the backup fob (cat had knocked it under the fridge) to get into the truck. It's a good thing it happened in my driveway, otherwise I would have had to bust a window to get into it.

My truck if locked out all I have to do is open it with the uconnect with my cell phone:banana-mario:

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Something similar happened to me..........parked in the garage tossed the key fob into the center console and it must have bumped the lock pad. Had to get spare key.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer a smaller fob you can keep in your pocket and use a push to start button in the truck.

OP
OP
T

Tiny Thompson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the Passive Entry enabled with the Keyless Enter N Go system, if the fob is in the vehicle (or close enough to it), you can still open the doors. Hence the salesman's comment about you can't lock your keys in the vehicle.

Not if the doors are locked with door switch.

OP
OP
T

Tiny Thompson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or if you keep the fob in your truck, at least pop the actual key out and keep it on your key ring. Then if you need your fob just slide it back over the key and bam it’s back on your key ring.

Does removing the key from the fob deactivate the fob?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought i tested this but will try again later.. It will allow you to lock the doors with the switch but if you close the door with the fob in the truck, they should unlock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Then how does this work?

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a Passive Entry RKE Key Fob inside your vehicle, the Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door unlock feature which will function if the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors have been closed the vehicle checks the inside and outside of the vehicle for any valid Passive Entry RKE Key Fobs. If one of the vehicle's Passive Entry RKE Key Fobs is detected inside the vehicle, and no other valid Passive Entry RKE Key Fobs are detected outside the vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times (on the third attempt ALL doors will lock and the Passive Entry RKE Key Fob can be locked in the vehicle).

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the key (no pun) is not that it won't let you lock the doors at all.

You can lock the doors with the switch in the truck and they will lock. But once you close the door the truck will beep, flash and unlock the doors if it senses the fob still in the truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So you have the key-less ignition, correct? Also, do you have the passive entry, meaning that you don’t have to push a button on the fob to enter the truck?

I’m not sure if that would matter or not but I would think that no matter what button was pushed, the truck wouldn’t allow itself to lock the driver door of it sensed the key was in the vehicle. The only time I’ve ever been able to lock the truck with the key in it was when I used my phone with the Uconnect app to remote start it.

Maybe you have something wrong with your fob, or the battery might be low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Octane

Reaction score
I tested my Ram by letting window down and leaving fob on the seat.When exiting I used the lock button on the door and closed it. Yep, key fob would have been locked inside the truck. I don't have key and go system

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tested my Ram by letting window down and leaving fob on the seat.When exiting I used the lock button on the door and closed it. Yep, key fob would have been locked inside the truck. I don't have key and go system

That should be why.

I’m not sure if the passive entry system and the key-less ignition go hand in hand but I would think that since there would be no ignition cylinder to detect a key that the passive entry would protect you from locking yourself out of the truck if you just layer the key on the seat or in the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YES, depending upon trim level on truck, U CAN lock the fob in the truck. U can leave truck running and lock key in it. WHICH is why, hee hee, I took out my valet key, went to HEB and had a extra Valet key made. I put a large ring on it and WHENEVER i go ne where in the truck, I always have that "extra" key in my pocket, just in case I have a Brain Drain and do something stupid. The extra valet key trick is 250% important say U go on a trip somewhere far from home, and yer extra key is at home, or maybe in another locked bag in yer truck, Just Saying. I do not have the passive entry, that too much Bling for Bighorn, LMAO.....all IMHO...