Locked out of my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tiny Thompson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you have the key-less ignition, correct? Also, do you have the passive entry, meaning that you don’t have to push a button on the fob to enter the truck?

I’m not sure if that would matter or not but I would think that no matter what button was pushed, the truck wouldn’t allow itself to lock the driver door of it sensed the key was in the vehicle. The only time I’ve ever been able to lock the truck with the key in it was when I used my phone with the Uconnect app to remote start it.

Maybe you have something wrong with your fob, or the battery might be low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do have the passive entry and it is active. I tried it several times when I got home. Same issue. It won't lock with the exterior button, but it will with the door panel switch.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the passive entry and it is active. I tried it several times when I got home. Same issue. It won't lock with the exterior button, but it will with the door panel switch.

Well you might wanna take it in then because passive entry is not supposed to let that happen if the key is anywhere in the truck.

Octane

Reaction score
My Challenger had key and go and if I left my fob in car and tried to lock door it would auto unlock door as soon as I closed it and honk, after hree attempts and it would lock my fob in car.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco
Went to the store last night and for whatever reason, I couldn't lock the truck with my key fob. Used Uconnect to lock it. Went in and bought batteries for the keyfob thinking I somehow accidentally drained it. Came back out, tried to unlock and no go. Unlocked with Uconnect. Got home and the damn keyfob worked just fine.

Uconnect in Texas heat is a blessing. If you can get it during one of their promotions, I'd jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost sounds like a feature isn't enabled. There is a specific setting that prevents the fob from being locked in the truck. Not accessible other than using alfaobd or the dealer computer.

Fobik Safe, it's called

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just verified it on mine. 2018 1500 Limited. Threw the key fob on the seat, pushed the interior lock button and closed the door... horn chirped twice, hazard flashers flashed and unlocked the driver door. Did it twice and both times, same thing. Horn honked, lights flashed, and unlocked driver door.

Get yours checked out if you have keyless ignition and your passive entry is indeed turned on- i.e, you can unlock your doors just from grabbing your front door handles and you can lock the truck just from pressing the button on your front handles with your key fob in your pocket.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Challenger had key and go and if I left my fob in car and tried to lock door it would auto unlock door as soon as I closed it and honk, after three attempts and it would lock my fob in car.

Hmm. I only tried twice in mine. Never thought to see what would happen if I tried it a third time.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's happened to me in my 2015 Laramie twice...
I remote started it, unlocked passenger door with passive entry, put fob in console and closed door.
By time I walked round to driver side it had locked itself.

Being rhd, drivers side is your passenger side....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Whitd5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My challenger was also great at preventing accidental lock outs or even shutting the keys in the trunk.... But ask me why I know how to break into a challenger in about 30 seconds. How ridiculously easy unlocking a challenger is a whole ‘nother thread topic.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, according to Ram and the salesman, it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock yourself out of these trucks. Guess what I did the other day?

I hate these keyless vehicles. That bulky fob is uncomfortable in my pocket at work and risks getting destroyed. So, by the end of the day, I've had it with it. So, on the ride home I usually toss it into the cup holder. When I got home, I got out of the truck and must have hit the door lock button while getting out and voila! The fob was locked in the truck and me out of it. Then I had to find the backup fob (cat had knocked it under the fridge) to get into the truck. It's a good thing it happened in my driveway, otherwise I would have had to bust a window to get into it.

Give me a keyed ignition any day of the week.

The salesman's comment
Well, according to Ram and the salesman, it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock yourself out of these trucks. Guess what I did the other day?

I hate these keyless vehicles. That bulky fob is uncomfortable in my pocket at work and risks getting destroyed. So, by the end of the day, I've had it with it. So, on the ride home I usually toss it into the cup holder. When I got home, I got out of the truck and must have hit the door lock button while getting out and voila! The fob was locked in the truck and me out of it. Then I had to find the backup fob (cat had knocked it under the fridge) to get into the truck. It's a good thing it happened in my driveway, otherwise I would have had to bust a window to get into it.

For piece of mind I just tested mine. I exited the vehicle leaving the fob in the cup holder:

1. Pushed the lock button down on the drivers door, closed the door. After one second the door lock button popped back up.

2. Pressed the lock switch on the drivers door, closed the drivers door. After one second the door lock button popped back up.

3. Closed the drivers door and pressed the exterior lock button on the door handle. Headlights flashed and the horn sounded three times. Exterior button would not lock the doors.

I didn't experiment further, but I have the door locks set to unlock all doors upon the driver exiting.

I don't know what trim model you have. This is the way it works on my Laramie, but I would think they'd all operate the same. From what I know about this system, there are two detections that allow the doors to be locked, 1) weight detection for the drivers seat. In other words a person sitting in the drivers position, or 2) the fob in close proximity to the door and pressing the external lock button.

Yours may not be working correctly.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Dogs eat things, cats lose things!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 018447 miles.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know in my 200 with keyless entry and start and go if the fob was in the same pocket as my cell phone it would not work right. somehow the cell phone was screwing it up

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tested my Ram by letting window down and leaving fob on the seat.When exiting I used the lock button on the door and closed it. Yep, key fob would have been locked inside the truck. I don't have key and go system

because i think the salesman meant its impossible to lock it with key in ignition...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
because i think the salesman meant its impossible to lock it with key in ignition...

I’m thinking trucks with keyed ignitions might be a little different, I don’t know. I can’t answer that question because even though my last truck had a keyed ignition, for the whole 5 years I owned it, I never once remote started it, put the key in the ignition, not turn the key on and accidentally press the lock button on the door panel as I was hopping out and close the truck, just to see if the door would still remain locked after the door got shut so, I can’t say it would be different.

But who knows, since the truck is not technically on and running with it’s remote started, maybe the salesman who said it was impossible to lock yourself out of the truck wasn’t banking on the fact of number one, getting in the truck without hitting the start button and two, hitting the lock button by mistake when exiting when the truck is only remote started.

But that’s weird because you would think that since so much design was put into protecting yourself from locking yourself out of your truck that they would’ve made it to where even in this if this situation that you’re still not gonna be able to lock yourself out.

Henry50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

Try having someone call you if they can get your extra fob.hold your phone next to your door and have then

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This may have been mentioned a time or two, but I recently locked my keys in my 2500. Before breaking any windows or getting all upset or freaking out, I remember reading something about having a Uconnect app that will unlock your vehicle remotely and start it if you have the remote start system hooked up. Did anyone ever think of that by chance or am I just blowing air in the wind while catching my breath?

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Been there, done that. Wife was REALLY happy to drive 22 miles after work to bring me the spare key.

Tonino

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to have my emergency key blanks cut and the key place had a hard time. To make sure my code was correct they cut it to a normal size key where it worked fine.

Eventually got them done, they gave me the normal size key too.

I plan on hiding it in a hide-a-key somewhere on the truck. I dont keep anything of value in my truck anyway, the worst that could happen is someone gets inside....cant start it with the key, so no big deal. And it prevents me from getting locked out.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
I went to have my emergency key blanks cut and the key place had a hard time. To make sure my code was correct they cut it to a normal size key where it worked fine.

Eventually got them done, they gave me the normal size key too.

I plan on hiding it in a hide-a-key somewhere on the truck. I dont keep anything of value in my truck anyway, the worst that could happen is someone gets inside....cant start it with the key, so no big deal. And it prevents me from getting locked out.
I put a "real key" behind the license plate on all my vehicles ,a good screwdriver only costs $0.10 as a dime will suffice as a straight blade