Locked out of my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put a "real key" behind the license plate on all my vehicles ,a good screwdriver only costs $0.10 as a dime will suffice as a straight blade

I used to have one of these combo locking gas caps way back in the day on my old 98 Ram. Worked pretty good. That stem on the bottom was a secret compartment that held a spare key really nice. Not sure if anyone makes a modern version of these or not. You can still find these on eBay among other places but I doubt it’ll fit anything post-2000.
96c2052352d7b1e99fc6fa9ed2010046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to have one of these combo locking gas caps way back in the day on my old 98 Ram. Worked pretty good. That stem on the bottom was a secret compartment that held a spare key really nice. Not sure if anyone makes a modern version of these or not. You can still find these on eBay among other places but I doubt it’ll fit anything post-2000.
96c2052352d7b1e99fc6fa9ed2010046.jpg

That is really cool never seen any thing like that just the reg. Stant locking cap

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is really cool never seen any thing like that just the reg. Stant locking cap

They make these too but I don’t know how secure they are though. I’ve never seen one in person but I would think a swift blow from a 2 pound sledge would defeat it. 7021a616a1235b53fe234f1c2cbcfb2c.jpg

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to the store last night and for whatever reason, I couldn't lock the truck with my key fob. Used Uconnect to lock it. Went in and bought batteries for the keyfob thinking I somehow accidentally drained it. Came back out, tried to unlock and no go. Unlocked with Uconnect. Got home and the damn keyfob worked just fine.

Uconnect in Texas heat is a blessing. If you can get it during one of their promotions, I'd jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gunpackingsaint,

I had the same problem when I was parked in front of one of our manufacturing plants. Could not figure it out until one day I had to park about 15 parking spaces to the left of my normal parking space. Everything worked fine......WHY???? I noticed a square antennae at about roof level pointing at the space I usually parked in and found out it was the wireless receiver for one of our plant security systems. I found out that it also played havoc with any cell phone signals within two parking spaces either side of the receiver. None of my remote functions would work while parking there.

LoneStarSliver

MrMudstud

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Long Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I did. I also have push button start and didn't want to depend on any electronic device for entering my truck. I bought another FOB (not my house spare) and pulled out the key and secured it with a magnet holder under the truck. Unless you know where it is you will never find it. Then took the FOB wrapped in aluminum foil so not to send any signal, and hid it under the rear seat under the carpet. Again, unless you know where it is, you will never find it.

So if, I lock myself out and misplaced my FOB away from my house, all I have to do is retrieve my key under the truck to unlock the drivers door. Then go in the back seat and get my FOB, unwrap the aluminum foil and start my truck. Yes, it is a sure best way to KNOW you will never be stranded. Works for me. Good Luck. 2015 Long Horn Laramie

O', I bought my RAM FOB at a lock smith for 1/2 the price compared to the dealer.

257Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 and I have tried to lock my keys in my truck but it was unsuccessful. I dropped of my truck for some upgrades and wanted to leave the key hidden for the service tech.

Rockyhammock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought i tested this but will try again later.. It will allow you to lock the doors with the switch but if you close the door with the fob in the truck, they should unlock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That is what mine does

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They make these too but I don’t know how secure they are though. I’ve never seen one in person but I would think a swift blow from a 2 pound sledge would defeat it. 7021a616a1235b53fe234f1c2cbcfb2c.jpg

where would that go in your truck or house

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not if the doors are locked with door switch.
I don't understand what's going on here. I'm on my third Ram with the enter and go system. I have accidentally had my key laying in the console cup holder and exited my truck pushing the lock button shut the door and the lock popped back up I tried 3 times to lock the truck with no success until I realized the key fob was in the cup holder. With this said I don't know how you can lock the door with the key fob inside the cab.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought i tested this but will try again later.. It will allow you to lock the doors with the switch but if you close the door with the fob in the truck, they should unlock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You are correct!

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do have the passive entry and it is active. I tried it several times when I got home. Same issue. It won't lock with the exterior button, but it will with the door panel switch.

Yes the plunger or lock button or whatever you want to call it will go down to the lock position when you push the lock button on the armrest with the key in the console or cup holder. As soon as you shut the door the button pops back up and the door is unlocked.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the passive entry and it is active. I tried it several times when I got home. Same issue. It won't lock with the exterior button, but it will with the door panel switch.

Well, several days has gone by, have you figured out the problem? Talked to the dealer?

Greywolf667

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Remove the key from the fob and have a key made at the local hardware store then place it in my wallet for that time when you need it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, according to Ram and the salesman, it's IMPOSSIBLE to lock yourself out of these trucks. Guess what I did the other day?

I hate these keyless vehicles. That bulky fob is uncomfortable in my pocket at work and risks getting destroyed. So, by the end of the day, I've had it with it. So, on the ride home I usually toss it into the cup holder. When I got home, I got out of the truck and must have hit the door lock button while getting out and voila! The fob was locked in the truck and me out of it. Then I had to find the backup fob (cat had knocked it under the fridge) to get into the truck. It's a good thing it happened in my driveway, otherwise I would have had to bust a window to get into it.

Give me a keyed ignition any day of the week.

When a fob is left in my truck and I lock it and close the door it will honk three times and unlock the doors. This happens often when I jump out and my wife has left her purse in the truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remove the key from the fob and have a key made at the local hardware store then place it in my wallet for that time when you need it.

If his system was working right, he shouldn’t need a spare key like that, at least in that sense because the only time he should be able to actually lock his key in his truck is when either A, it’s remote started and you open the door, throw the key inside, push the interior door lock button and close the door or B, the key’s already in the truck and you use the Uconnect app on your phone to remote start it.

I dunno, supposedly you can lock yourself out after the third time in a row of deliberately trying to lock your key in it by using the door panel lock button and closing the door but I’ve never verified that. Quite frankly I don’t know why you’d want to on purpose three times in a row but that’s just one of those things that should just never happen.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to have my emergency key blanks cut and the key place had a hard time. To make sure my code was correct they cut it to a normal size key where it worked fine.

Eventually got them done, they gave me the normal size key too.

I plan on hiding it in a hide-a-key somewhere on the truck. I dont keep anything of value in my truck anyway, the worst that could happen is someone gets inside....cant start it with the key, so no big deal. And it prevents me from getting locked out.

This is why I carry an extra key cut off of my valet in my pocket whenever I drive truck. But all this IMHO

ADDED: OK, I have a MY 19 Bighorn, keyless start, no passive entry. Turn off truck, put fob on seat, lock close doors. Beep 3 and open. But on third try, vehicle stays locked.

Start truck, put key fob on seat, push lock button down on door, close door, door locks with truck running.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In your receiver hitch.
b05dfe533eec097032fdfb521ce444e5.jpg

Nice thang, sure a tell all to someone that there was something there, LOL,

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OH didn't know it was for the hitch that is kind of silly but I guess somebody would find it to work for them