Loosing coolant....Help!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVFISHN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New member and new Ram owner here. Bought my first diesel 2500 a couple months ago. 2017 2500 6.7. 100K miles. I absolutely love the truck. My low coolant light came on about a month ago. I added about 1/2 gallon. Now it’s getting worse. Having to add coolant about every other day. Never seen any leaks or coolant under truck. Left it running in the driveway about 30 min, no leaks, nothing under truck. Took it to the shop 2 days ago. They did a pressure check and no leaks. It held original pressure. They left it over night with operating pressure on it. No leaks, held pressure.... Where the hell is my coolant going???? Could it be a bad coolant cap??? Need some ideas as to why it’s loosing coolant. I do know it’s not a head gasket, shop changed oil and no trace of water. Help!!!!!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you seeing it on the ground? Is it smoking when idling or going down the road?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Coolant has to be going somewhere.If no lea ks, it is either in your exhaust or or in your oil.

OP
OP
L

LVFISHN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They changed oil. There was no sign of water. Oil looked good. Could it have to do with the EGR?? Like I said, no white smoke from exhaust, even under full throttle, while pulling a boat......

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Some HD hemis also have this problem (like mine) a stant locking cap helped a bit but im thinking something isnt 100% sealed when cold so I probably lose a drop here and there on warm up or something

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After it has sat for a day or two, loosen your oil drain plug just enough to allow it to slowly drip.

Watch the drip. If there is coolant in the oil, you will see it pretty quickly since oil floats on water.

bigdodge

Reaction score
I had a radiator that had a pin hole in it that would leak just enough that I would have to add. Then one day I just got lucky and saw it shooting out of a tiny hole a few inches. It was just enough that it would all stay on the radiator and would evaporate so quick on the hot rad that you never saw any sign of it leaking.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Test the coolant for combustion gasses to probably rule out the head gasket.
Usually when coolant starts disappearing in a diesel with EGR cooler, that's probably the first thing to suspect. The exhaust system will get trashed the more coolant goes through it.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
New member and new Ram owner here. Bought my first diesel 2500 a couple months ago. 2017 2500 6.7. 100K miles. I absolutely love the truck. My low coolant light came on about a month ago. I added about 1/2 gallon. Now it’s getting worse. Having to add coolant about every other day. Never seen any leaks or coolant under truck. Left it running in the driveway about 30 min, no leaks, nothing under truck. Took it to the shop 2 days ago. They did a pressure check and no leaks. It held original pressure. They left it over night with operating pressure on it. No leaks, held pressure.... Where the hell is my coolant going???? Could it be a bad coolant cap??? Need some ideas as to why it’s loosing coolant. I do know it’s not a head gasket, shop changed oil and no trace of water. Help!!!!!

With 100,000 it has to be evaporating in the overflow tank since it's the only portion not considered sealed in the Ram 1500 system. If everything else is operating properly of course.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just a guess, but i think your loosing water out of somewhere, after the coolant begins cooling off

Did your town really get a facelift ?
Did it help bring business back to town ?

OP
OP
L

LVFISHN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. They actually did a very good job. It boosted business downtown tremendously. In fact, some restaurants had to shut down a couple days a week because there was so much business they could not keep up with the demand. Lots of people from surrounding towns coming to visit and see everything.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know a lot about current model trucks
Could it be that the coolant tank has a crack right at the bottom ?
It is right beside the windshield washer tank.

You would have to remove the grille, which is held on by 4 bolts, ( 2 plastic, 2 metal , remember which go where )
You would have to remove something like 6 plastic xmas tree pins that hold on the black cover that hides the tops of the grille & radiator

F4F16driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I bought a 2017 6.7 diesel 2500 last Nov and got a coolant low warning after six months. Added hoat antifreeze instead of oat so had my guys flush and refill. Got low light again. Could not find the leak until last week. Coming from y hose fitting just behind radiator. Now the next day I took it straight to the shop 5 miles away and no leak. Drove it and ran the heater about 30 min and the leak showed up again. I don't know if running the heater has anything to do with finding the leak. Worth a try. Good luck