Loss of power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That could take yrs to move forward on.... o_O

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is currently going through this (out of the original recall of course). I'm really hoping to avoid pay ing thousands to put a new system in a truck with only 60k on the clock...

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just lost power steering last week on my 2014 1500. 110k miles. Was pulling into a store and it started flashing the steering light and had no power on it. Super dangerous and glad I wasn’t on a curved road. Seems that you can’t find a new one for under $2k if they’re in stock, really the only option for replacement is a used junkyard one that will inevitably have the same issues. This needs to be recalled before you see rams flying off the road everywhere. I actually took the access panel off my EPS to see the circuit board and you can definitely see some corrosion on the board, but no noticeable moisture inside the unit.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just lost power steering last week on my 2014 1500. 110k miles. Was pulling into a store and it started flashing the steering light and had no power on it. Super dangerous and glad I wasn’t on a curved road. Seems that you can’t find a new one for under $2k if they’re in stock, really the only option for replacement is a used junkyard one that will inevitably have the same issues. This needs to be recalled before you see rams flying off the road everywhere. I actually took the access panel off my EPS to see the circuit board and you can definitely see some corrosion on the board, but no noticeable moisture inside the unit.
This is the one thing that scares me about my 2014 if it ever fails i think i am going to try and convert it back to the better more reliable non eletric power steering. I would have to change the timing cover and some other things from the looks of it all would bolt up fine and im sure id have a check engine light forever but would be better then paying 2-3k for a rack.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do an Advanced Search for "Steering" or "EPS" (select Search Titles Only). There's only been about 20 steering posts in like the last month and a half. More than likely a: Bad/corroded connector, Fuse, Worn belt, Waterlogged control housing (on the unit), Or some other issue. Unless you have a mechanic who's ready to pull the end off and check or do some unit diagnosis, then just see if you can find a rebuilt one (or used).

_____

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Do an Advanced Search for "Steering" or "EPS" (select Search Titles Only). There's only been about 20 steering posts in like the last month and a half. More than likely a: Bad/corroded connector, Fuse, Worn belt, Waterlogged control housing (on the unit), Or some other issue. Unless you have a mechanic who's ready to pull the end off and check or do some unit diagnosis, then just see if you can find a rebuilt one (or used).

_____

Wow, that looks like a fun swap changing that little belt.

Hope I don't have to do this in my 2018

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine starting failing about 2 days after the investigation was in the news!
Turns out I got lucky! Wasn't my steering box or assembly actually..just a seized up fork!! Some lube and working it around and it loosened up!

Last edited:

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bit the bullet on a new rack since I need my truck, cost around $2k and is arriving today. Called around everywhere and a dealership in Detroit had one in the back and didn’t even know it. Apparently it’s the newest revision, guy said they’ve gone through a lot of revisions. Don’t think it should be a hard job. Going to keep the old one if the recall ever goes through.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bit the bullet on a new rack since I need my truck, cost around $2k and is arriving today. Called around everywhere and a dealership in Detroit had one in the back and didn’t even know it. Apparently it’s the newest revision, guy said they’ve gone through a lot of revisions. Don’t think it should be a hard job. Going to keep the old one if the recall ever goes through.
Wonder when the latest revision was was done? Were they still doing them on 2019 classics?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Wonder when the latest revision was was done? Were they still doing them on 2019 classics?
I got my entire steering rack replaced at the dealership with the latest revision part available, too. Mine is a 19' Classic!

My tech noted weeping from a boot and showed me and suggested we get it done as there are issues with the electric steering on more recent Ram's.

Here in Ontario there have a national backorder on these new electric power steering racks, and I'm told Canada wide as well.

My friend in Parts there put my vehicle on VOR (Vehicle Off Road) and got me a new rack within two weeks.

Got the new rack installed and aligned and all is good to go!

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new rack I was able to get works on models from 2013-2022, so could be the same one they have on the new classics or the new ram models depending if it fits.

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you still drive it as it was?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did they indicate what the revisions were?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my entire steering rack replaced at the dealership with the latest revision part available, too. Mine is a 19' Classic!

My tech noted weeping from a boot and showed me and suggested we get it done as there are issues with the electric steering on more recent Ram's.

Here in Ontario there have a national backorder on these new electric power steering racks, and I'm told Canada wide as well.

My friend in Parts there put my vehicle on VOR (Vehicle Off Road) and got me a new rack within two weeks.

Got the new rack installed and aligned and all is good to go!

Oh wow. So you needed a new one on your 2019. That sucks

You just had some weeping from the boot? Is that how they fail?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Oh wow. So you needed a new one on your 2019. That sucks

You just had some weeping from the boot? Is that how they fail?
It did suck, but it was fully covered by warranty, including the alignment afterwards.
However, the dealership I go to has friends in good places within their walls, so maybe that helps a bit ;)

I'm not sure if the leak is the definitive failure overall, but it was noticed and because of it I got it changed out. My steering was not compromised at the time of replacement, but we did it just because of the leak.

I've heard tell that the major issue is a loss of steering/control. Something to do with the board getting wet/corroded and causing issues. Others here may have more input on those specifics though.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It did suck, but it was fully covered by warranty, including the alignment afterwards.
However, the dealership I go to has friends in good places within their walls, so maybe that helps a bit ;)

I'm not sure if the leak is the definitive failure overall, but it was noticed and because of it I got it changed out. My steering was not compromised at the time of replacement, but we did it just because of the leak.

I've heard tell that the major issue is a loss of steering/control. Something to do with the board getting wet/corroded and causing issues. Others here may have more input on those specifics though.

That probably does help. lol

I just looked up a rack for my truck and it's like $1700 so this would be a expensive repair.
Thanks for all the info.

Nodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you still drive it as it was?
Yeah I can still drive it, but without power steering is like moving a mountain anywhere I go. Definitely wouldn’t want to drive it far.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They must fail or have problems enough, that perhaps Chrysler has a service bulletin to inspect them when they come in for service. That's conjecture, not something I've heard or seen specifically.