LT Headers - I am making true duals and want to use Borla Pro XS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I have a set of JBA coated long tubes about to go into the truck and I will be making a custom "true" dual setup using an X pipe. The piping will be 2.5" and then I'll reduce to reuse the 2 1/4" tails and resonators...for now.

Thanks to Youtube and my experience with Magnaflow mufflers (14" & 18") I have settled on Borla Pro XS. To me the sound is that of Magnaflow but much much smoother and the mufflers won't burn out, so to speak, and get louder.

I don't want loud...infact I am going to be using catalytic converters. This is my DD and I have kids and an upgraded stereo I like hearing at highway speeds. I don't want any drone. NO DRONE ZONE!! lol

Anyways, I am uncertain if I should be using the center/center muffler or the offset muffler OR does it even really matter? The mufflers are going to likely end up side-by-side placed vertically underneath the passenger side of the truck where fitment permits. I intend to use the 19" version of the muffler (24" in total length I believe)

And yes....the truck will be getting a tune after!

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only attest to the sound, Sask, as I have the stock 1-in-2 ProXS model...in a word, it's awesome! Drone, IMHO, is only slightly present with MDS engaged, but it's still quite tolerable in my '16 Rebel. Cold startup sounds nice and loud, but doesn't wake the neighbors. The quality is excellent...I sure wish I could see that thing without crawling under the truck. It's nice kit. With two of 'em under your rig, the exhaust notes will be glorious!

TXCOMT

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi all,

I have a set of JBA coated long tubes about to go into the truck and I will be making a custom "true" dual setup using an X pipe. The piping will be 2.5" and then I'll reduce to reuse the 2 1/4" tails and resonators...for now.

Thanks to Youtube and my experience with Magnaflow mufflers (14" & 18") I have settled on Borla Pro XS. To me the sound is that of Magnaflow but much much smoother and the mufflers won't burn out, so to speak, and get louder.

I don't want loud...infact I am going to be using catalytic converters. This is my DD and I have kids and an upgraded stereo I like hearing at highway speeds. I don't want any drone. NO DRONE ZONE!! lol

Anyways, I am uncertain if I should be using the center/center muffler or the offset muffler OR does it even really matter? The mufflers are going to likely end up side-by-side placed vertically underneath the passenger side of the truck where fitment permits. I intend to use the 19" version of the muffler (24" in total length I believe)

And yes....the truck will be getting a tune after!

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Word of advice even coated,it's still worth header wrapping them.The majority of coatings don't last all that long up here.You probably know you need an unlocked PCM to tune it,but who are you using to tune it.There's a good HP tuner in Edmonton,and he does tuning out of Saskatoon fairly often.His name is Chris Zelinsky,and he's Player 3 Preformance tuning in Edmonton,you can find him on Alberta Regular Cabs /Badlands Rams /Calgary Truck Club or facebook.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just thought I’d update this post in case someone in the future uses it for reference.

The LT headers are on and we custom made a mid-pipe using the stock catalytic converters. We crosssed up over the drive shaft to the passenger side after the tranny and brought the 2 2.5” pipes together with an X-pipe. Flowing from the X we hit each 19” (24” total length) Borla Pro XS muffler. Right after the muffler, the system is immediately reduced to 2 1/4” to re-use the stock tail section and resonators.

To summarize the sound I would have to say that this entire system is quieter than the stock setup with just an 18” Magnaflow muffler swap which is what came off the truck. The interior drone is absolutely 0 in my opinion even with MDS. The note is incredibly smooth and very very refined. “True” duals always change the way things sound as well as LTs. I can definitely hear the header noise (I hear this over MDS) since LTs tend to magnify engine noises and bounce some sound around from the collector.

Part of my wishes I would have put in the 14” Pro XS which is what I originally had on order then changed it up last minute.

I don’t really want to delete cats nor do I want to pull out the resonators.

Oh and no check engine lights (500km already) and I’m untuned. Tune coming soon

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought I'd post some pictures of the final setup since I had the truck up in the air to repair the fuel sensor issue. Don't mind the "leaks" as thats all penatrating spray to help loosen the tank bolts. I've recently added 5" tips, removed the resonators and went 2.5" from the mufflers back to finish this off. Don't mind the dirty under carriage as this is Saskatchwan after all! lol

$R5RRS25.jpg

$R1YO6L7.jpg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweetness! Got some video so we can hear those pipes growling?

BTW, Corner Gas is one of my favorite shows...you don't happen to live near Rouleau, do ya?

TXCOMT

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Curious on how tame a X-pipe to dual muffler will be with LTs, are you catted or open?

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweetness! Got some video so we can hear those pipes growling?

BTW, Corner Gas is one of my favorite shows...you don't happen to live near Rouleau, do ya?

TXCOMT

Sadly no good videos yet due to malfunction equipment.

Lol and no I’m far away from there.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious on how tame a X-pipe to dual muffler will be with LTs, are you catted or open?

It’s tame since I’ve re-used the factory cat (look up up the transfer case). Without cats this setup would be loud loud and very stinky lol.