Mechanical fan delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So couldn’t see that this has been talked about recently. Has anyone here deleted the mech fan on a 4th gen and run just the electric fan with a 180 thermostat? I have a trinity so I’ll lower the fan temp. I live in northern michigan so it doesn’t get super hot for long. Also is it worth it? Legit power increase or fuel savings? I may add the v6 fan down the road but wondering if that’s completely necessary. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly unless you are towing a lot I wouldn't worry about it. In some cases the vehicle could stay in closed loop and you would get worse fuel economy. I live on long island. It gets no hotter than 90s usually in the summer and even sitting in traffic, I'd worry more about the transmission temp vs engine temp. My engine temp is usually no more than 205-210 on an extremely hot day and I'm ok with that. I've had engines with 300+k miles that ran that hot. But I invested in an aux transmission cooler that I mounted in front of the radiator in front of the electric fan and my trans temp has stayed nice and cool even in long island/NYC traffic

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
^^^
As said works fine as long as not towing.
Engine warms up faster
Less wear on water pump
No noticeable power or mileage increase but if you turn fan on around 195 for the 180 t-stat & burn premium gas you could bump up timing for more power & possibly 1-2 mpg increase.
Only benefit from the power increase though because the price of gas would override the mpg savings.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I live in Chicago and I removed my mechanical fan and put in a 180 thermostat. Even on the hottest days I don’t have any issues. Even when I’m towing my 3000 lb boat and trailer on a hot and humid day, it barely creeps over 200 even in stop and go.

OP
OP
G

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Chicago and I removed my mechanical fan and put in a 180 thermostat. Even on the hottest days I don’t have any issues. Even when I’m towing my 3000 lb boat and trailer on a hot and humid day, it barely creeps over 200 even in stop and go.

Nice. I guess that seals the deal. Did you notice an improvement in mpg or power?

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can feel the difference, the throttle response is much better as the engine spools up faster without the weight of the fan. I have a 190 thermostat and a tune and you can a difference in how it drives with and without the clutch fan as I have swapped back and forth. I couldn't say what the mpg or 0-60 difference in the fan is by itself as I did the tune, 190 tstat, and ditched the clutch fan all at once and I picked up a solid 1 mpg +.

I live in the Pacific NW so it doesn't get too hot but there is a substantial difference in cooling capacity from the AC fan vs the V6 efan. The AC fan is on most of time to keep up where the V6 efan cycles on and off much less. I ran the AC fan for about 20k miles and recently put the V6 efan and was amazed at how much less it runs and how much faster it cools the engine down. I believe the fan motors are interchangeable but the shroud makes a big difference. Plus it has spot to clip in the radiator hose holder.

I went with the dorman brand at Summit racing. Quality is good, looks and feels factory.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Clint, part of the stock AC fan (also known as the v6 Efan as they’re one in the same minus where the v6 fan came from) complaint depends on the year of the truck. The 2013 and newer have a better electric fan for their ac. I have my stock ac fan on the truck still with a 180 thermostat and the electric fan is set to come on at 190 and I have 0 issues. I also kept my stock mechanical fan shroud to point the air flow from the electric fan at the engine.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW I've towed my 3500lb camper to FL when it was 90+ there with the V6 efan and coolant never got above 200. I suspect the AC fan with a 180 tstat would perform about as well.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clint, part of the stock AC fan (also known as the v6 Efan as they’re one in the same minus where the v6 fan came from) complaint depends on the year of the truck. The 2013 and newer have a better electric fan for their ac. I have my stock ac fan on the truck still with a 180 thermostat and the electric fan is set to come on at 190 and I have 0 issues. I also kept my stock mechanical fan shroud to point the air flow from the electric fan at the engine.

I have a 2017, so while the the Hemi (electric) AC fan (unshrouded) kept up, it cycles on and off much more than than the V6 e-fan (3.7 liter, pre Pentastar). Now with you leaving the mechanical fan shroud on, then I'm sure it works as good if not better than the V6 e-fan. The motors are the same, but shrouding makes a huge difference as evident by what you did and what I have experienced back to back.

Last edited:

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
No issues on mine. 2018 running just the A/C fan, with lots of mods including a SC and a 180 degree t-stat, coolant rarely gets over 200 in the heat (live in St. Louis), oil barely gets to 205 in high heat.

OP
OP
G

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So maybe a good compromise until I determine if I need the v6 fan is leave the shroud on? I’m putting in a 180 thermostat at the same time.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If not using the V6 fan, I would definitely leave the shroud on, it will act like a venturi.