Melting seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
2013 2500 Cummins: Has anyone ever seen this happen to a leather seat? The back seat is like new, it's barely been sat on. I left the truck at the airport with nothing on the seat and no sign of any damage and I return two weeks later to this. There is no explanation, no liquid from anywhere. All doors were locked and no sign of any foul play. I am wondering if the seat heater mechanism has anything to do with it.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I had to guess (and nothing was spilled on it) I would say it was a reflection from a mirror or something shiny outside that was focused on that part of the seat during the day? Kind of like a magnifying glass. Almost looks like it moved across the seat as the sun moved down?

Maybe I'm way off but can't think of anything else. The heater can't even come on without the truck running so pretty sure it wasn't that.

OP
OP
D

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The heater wasn't on. The truck was parked at the airport for two weeks, but I don't know if the heater mechanism has some kind of fluid in it.

OP
OP
D

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If I had to guess (and nothing was spilled on it) I would say it was a reflection from a mirror or something shiny outside that was focused on that part of the seat during the day? Kind of like a magnifying glass. Almost looks like it moved across the seat as the sun moved down?

Maybe I'm way off but can't think of anything else. The heater can't even come on without the truck running so pretty sure it wasn't that.

It was parked in a covered garage in Atlanta, so not that hot in November. Windows also have dark tint.

Last edited:

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I would suspect some kind of light being reflected/magnified onto the seat, though "covered garage" makes that more difficult. I don't see that the foam is affected, so, don't really think its the seat heater, as well as the un-likelyhood that it could switch on with out ignition power. There is no fluid in the heated seat. Other thought is some kind of chemical. Make sure you do post if you ever find out exactly what it was! Quite a mystery!

OP
OP
D

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I would suspect some kind of light being reflected/magnified onto the seat, though "covered garage" makes that more difficult. I don't see that the foam is affected, so, don't really think its the seat heater, as well as the un-likelyhood that it could switch on with out ignition power. There is no fluid in the heated seat. Other thought is some kind of chemical. Make sure you do post if you ever find out exactly what it was! Quite a mystery!
It is a mystery! And I hate to think of the cost of a new seat!

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
It is a mystery! And I hate to think of the cost of a new seat!
Well, I can tell you that! :) I just ordered a driver seat bottom foam and leather perf seat bottom cover for my 2010, from www.theseatshop.com, and it was $312 (normally $388, but black friday sale through today!)

EDIT: I just realized, I think you are saying this is the rear seat? I had assumed front seat, so my costs I mentioned are kind of irrelevant. Sorry!

OP
OP
D

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, I can tell you that! :) I just ordered a driver seat bottom foam and leather perf seat bottom cover for my 2010, from www.theseatshop.com, and it was $312 (normally $388, but black friday sale through today!)

EDIT: I just realized, I think you are saying this is the rear seat? I had assumed front seat, so my costs I mentioned are kind of irrelevant. Sorry!
Yes, the single seat section of the back seat. I'll check that site, I was expecting over $1k.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It was parked in a covered garage in Atlanta, so not that hot in November. Windows also have dark tint.

Well that kind of kills that theory. Did you have your suitcase sitting there on the way to the airport? Maybe something leaked out of that? It does kind of look like the leather "bled" a little by the purple stains on the foam? I don't believe the rears seats are real leather but some sort of vinyl which would make sense they way it kind of dissolved? It's one for the mystery books for sure, never seen anything like that.

OP
OP
D

diceuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well that kind of kills that theory. Did you have your suitcase sitting there on the way to the airport? Maybe something leaked out of that? It does kind of look like the leather "bled" a little by the purple stains on the foam? I don't believe the rears seats are real leather but some sort of vinyl which would make sense they way it kind of dissolved? It's one for the mystery books for sure, never seen anything like that.

That was my first thought, that maybe something leaked from the luggage, but that's not the case. The suitcase was completely dry and nothing had leaked out.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Check with your insurance and see if covered by comprehensive. Many moons ago I went to the store and bought some bleach. The bottle leaked and ate a hole in the seat. The insurance covered it and the good news was I had a $0 deductible

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like something was spilled on that part of the seat and it took awhile for it to react and do the damage. Does the seat have any odor on it , of a chemical or something to do that kind of damage. The truck heater wouldn't even come on for the back seats if the truck is not running. Think back did you lend the truck to someone before you went to airport, maybe question them on it.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was there any luggage on that seat when you went to the airport?
Was it just your luggage or was there a woman's bag there?
Because what it looks like to me is nail polish remover, my wife buy a product that is purple, but I would think you'd smell that because it stinks!

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me this really looks like some sort of liquid acid causing this. The pattern is similar to liquid soaking into fabric. See how it easily soaked along the threads.
Is there any chance that someone squirted something through the back window? Is there any smell? What does it feel like when you touch it with your fingers?
Acid would make it sticky I think

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone broke in and switched their damaged seat with his like new seat. Sure, unlikely, but not impossible. It's a crazy world!

I'm joking of course. This is some mystery. I've had leather in almost all of my cars and have never seen anything like this.

Blaze Bullock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I've seen that happen before but never that bad. Usually just from the way people slide onto the seat. I've never heard of it happening from just sitting in a shaded garage and seemingly overnight though.

What are you going to do to repair it? A buddy of mine got new leather seats from Katzkin on his Tacoma and he swears by them. They still look good even after 211k miles and 14 years of consistent riding. https://katzkin.com/leather-care/

You could get a repair kit but from what I've seen they're pretty expensive. I'd just go with new upholstery.