Moog or Timken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
What do you guys and gals think? Moog or Timken? I need to put new wheel bearings in a non Ram. Units come as the bearing and hub assembly. I will have to press them in. Trying to decide which will be better and last longer as the total junk I put in maybe 3000 miles ago made it about a year before they started making noise. They are a PITA to replace. Went to the junk yard this morning to get new steering knuckles so I can do the actual swap in the shortest time possible. Just need to order the new hubs to press in. Appreciate any recommendations.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a mechanic, I always used timpkin bearings and moog chassis parts. Good luck

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last timken wheel hub ,had made in korea on it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I can't guess which is better
I do know that if you go to an Auto Parts Store & ask for a Timken Bearing for a particular purpose,
Then you go to NAPA or a Bearing Supply Warehouse & ask for the same application,
You will have different part numbers

Usually the difference is the amount of clearance or slop built into the bearing is what makes the cost difference

The Auto Parts Store bearing, may have .025 slop
The Bearing Warehouse & usually Napa bearing may have .012 slop

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always had good luck with both brands. Currently have Timkin front wheel hubs and Moog Super Strength greasable ujoints on my truck.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure why this thread got moved to Third Gen, I stated in the original post that this was not Ram related, but no matter.

I'm going to throw down on a press instead of paying to have them pressed in. Last time I had the new hubs in the freezer all night long and had the Ford dealer press them in while I was getting my Taurus scheduled maintenance. It was like the hottest day of the year and they sat there for hours expanding. Gonna put the hubs in the freezer and the knuckles on the grill after I press the old hubs out so they go together nice and easy

Hvytrkmech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had better luck with Timken than any other brand. With that said today most parts are off shore crap. With that said spend less and expect the same results of spending more. The best advice I can give is to do a superior job cleaning the mounting surfaces and overdose it on never seize. Good luck sir

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OEM is timken. My passenger side went out in Jan and I live in Massachusetts and didn't feel like doing it myself in the freezing cold so had the local shop do it. They only stocked Moog... its been 10 months and its already gone bad. The driver side is the original .. 10 years old 135000 miles on it and no problems. Almost kicking myself for not just doing it on my own.

Elvira

Reaction score
I also was a mechanic, gas and diesel....Timken for bearings, Moog for chassis parts

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The boy installed Moog U joints in his Ford S.D. The needles disintegrate in a year. I kid you not. They were made in China.

Went with Timken for the next set, made in Mexico. They are still in there and running smooth @ 2-1/2 years.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The boy installed Moog U joints in his Ford S.D. The needles disintegrate in a year. I kid you not. They were made in China.

Went with Timken for the next set, made in Mexico. They are still in there and running smooth @ 2-1/2 years.
I put a set of Spicer greaseable U joint in my old 06 2500 CTD 10 years ago, a local shop put Moog greaseable axel joints in it, I had no problems from Moog parts in the almost 2.5 years before I sold the truck back in Jan 2022, as of last week all of the pasts I put into the truck are still working without fail for new owner, as I see it there is good and bad in all brands, but I recall when I was younger being told to use always Timken for bearings.......

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So following up here. I bought my press, and I bought a very expensive press kit for removing and installing the bearings. Got the old bearing out yesterday, the press kit worked great. Put the new Timken bearings in the freezer last night and the steering knuckle on the grill this morning. Used the old bearings to set up the press and then went to get the new bearing in place.
W....T....F!!!!!
The Timken bearing has some kind of welded collar that won't allow the clamshell press tool to fit. Everything else is correct. Of course it's past the return date so I'm stuck with these.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We replaced a drive shaft U joint with a Moog. The needle bearings literally disintegrated into powder within a year. Yes, they were greased. Made in China.
Next tried SKF made in Mexico. Still running today, years later.

End of story / lesson.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
We replaced a drive shaft U joint with a Moog. The needle bearings literally disintegrated into powder within a year. Yes, they were greased. Made in China.
Next tried SKF made in Mexico. Still running today, years later.

End of story / lesson.
Wow I had Moog front axle joint installed in my 06 2500 CTD just over 2 years ago, last time I talked to new owner they still going strong...