Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, 1350 usd is list price.

Once you factor in having to buy projector headlights, adaptors and the retrofit parts/ labour, Jeremy’s Custom built headlights are more money than these headlights.

list them on ebay for $1600, somebody might buy them that just cant wait for them to be in stock

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
I was told tails were in first thing Monday morning and would get shipped out asap, then talked to them this morning and they said they will be shipped out today. It's now end of business day and still no shipping email. So frustrated with this wait

Joemagnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any more reviews of these things? Gotta be quite a few out there by now. Haven’t really seen a whole lotta feedback are they something to be excited about? How is the output? Heard lots about how they look and I don’t think there’s any concern that they don’t look good. More concerned that they maybe aren’t as bright as advertised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got an email today from CarId. They say the new "estimated" ship date is May 15. They refunded me $60 if I'd wait till then. What the hell, I accepted.

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any more reviews of these things? Gotta be quite a few out there by now. Haven’t really seen a whole lotta feedback are they something to be excited about? How is the output? Heard lots about how they look and I don’t think there’s any concern that they don’t look good. More concerned that they maybe aren’t as bright as advertised?

These are mine after last adjustments, no oncoming flashing as of yet

51910a624909c456480a47d152d888c9.jpg0966b36a760cc3320627baa48bdb48d2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’m guessing that since all the preorders haven’t been filled that there should be more feedback over the next couple of weeks once the backlog clears and people start installing them.

OP
OP
Dejaclue

Dejaclue

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’d say the light output is waaaay better then stock. The lights are obviously more aesthetically pleasing. A few people including myself have had the left light aiming off from the right light. I adjusted mine but it looks like I went a little to far and need to re-aim it. There is a chrome bezel at the end of the bottom drl and turn signal for some reason. Everything else is black. The drl’s are VERY bright and are really what makes the light assembly stand out. Overall I’m very happy with the purchase even with the long wait. I also got the Morimoto fogs for free and love those as well. The dogs are easier to install and aim then the headlights. If there is anything specific you want to know, just ask.

c0v3rr1d3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How is the side to side output of the headlights, one thing i've noticed with both the projectors on my 1500 and now the regular lights on my 2500 is the side output is non existent, for instance if you are making a left hand turn onto a dark road at night, you have no idea whats on the side of you as you turn in. (if that makes any sense)

OP
OP
Dejaclue

Dejaclue

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the side to side output of the headlights, one thing i've noticed with both the projectors on my 1500 and now the regular lights on my 2500 is the side output is non existent, for instance if you are making a left hand turn onto a dark road at night, you have no idea whats on the side of you as you turn in. (if that makes any sense)
That’s one of the many things I didn’t like about my stock lights but with these it’s a major improvement. When I drive next to a car at night I can see the cutoff from these lights on their car. I had quads by the way.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone here with a black ram with the Morimotos passed through downtown Manhattan today around 12:30? NJ plates. Only caught a glimpse of the del. Wasn't sure if it was these out in the wild or a 2019.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$1000 would be too much for first gen lights with no factory warranty.
You'd be better off just returning them if you don't like them. No one is going to pay full retail cost second hand
I sold them for exactly what I paid to member on the forum and it was well over a $1000. So both of you were wrong. Also the vendor I bought mine from will warranty the lights, if ever needed, for the new owner.

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok original first batched here. Here’s my thoughts on the lights. They look nice! I received replacements for my first ones the other day. Issues with the first one drl on the right flickered and left headlight was not level in the slightest had to have headlight adjusted too the max for a some what normal look. Looking at the plugs on switching them out they were full off water and starting to corrode on both sets. Also light output started to fade over time and kelvin changed I will say not professionaly tested but noticed by people that carpool with me. There are differences in both sets on first set there was no mat black but all gloss where now they worked in mat I’ll attach pictures also my lights are constantly being out shined on the road by other vehicles with stock headlamps

DE55D057-626D-4B10-B663-8D0A4AFFB890.jpeg

F7EB99B8-8DFE-472D-8D87-C3D460433E40.jpeg

E895555F-96FA-42CB-ACF9-FEBF6F71377C.jpeg

9B929AB8-B598-49CF-90FB-6361409C1376.jpeg

FECCF0E6-5EEA-4B37-8261-FCB5F08924DE.jpeg

CumminsFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I spent $200 at the dealer getting the DRLs turned on for a stock look on the turn signals which is waisted now since you have to use the fuse tap so the DRLs never shut off on the turn signals just dim

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok original first batched here. Here’s my thoughts on the lights. They look nice! I received replacements for my first ones the other day. Issues with the first one drl on the right flickered and left headlight was not level in the slightest had to have headlight adjusted too the max for a some what normal look. Looking at the plugs on switching them out they were full off water and starting to corrode on both sets. Also light output started to fade over time and kelvin changed I will say not professionaly tested but noticed by people that carpool with me. There are differences in both sets on first set there was no mat black but all gloss where now they worked in mat I’ll attach pictures also my lights are constantly being out shined on the road by other vehicles with stock headlamps

View attachment 164050

View attachment 164051

View attachment 164052

View attachment 164053

View attachment 164054
They’re probably using a Chinese knock-off male connector to mate with the factory TE Connectivity (pink) connector, and the tolerance is off allowing water past the factory connector seal. Make sure you smear dielectric grease across the pink connector, otherwise those terminals will be corroded away pretty quick.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also I spent $200 at the dealer getting the DRLs turned on for a stock look on the turn signals which is waisted now since you have to use the fuse tap so the DRLs never shut off on the turn signals just dim
If you had the LM5 sales code added to your truck, then this will mimic a Canadian truck. The instructions for a Canadian truck have the DRL fuse tap NOT being used, and the male and female blue wire connectors plugged together.

Morgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've got my set installed. I have a 2018 Ram Black Express Eco. My oem headlights are quad halogen reflectors. The light output on those was miserable.

I want to start first by saying, I love the morimotos. They look badass. They look like OEM build quality. They fit really well. They DONT look like cheap aftermarket crap.

having said that.... they don't work. lol. Well, they do work - Sort of. But not really. Let's say that every function of the lights work correctly, just not all at once hahahaha

OK let me explain further.

My truck is a Canadian truck with quad headlights. So those have 2 sets of bulbs. 1 for low beams, and 1 for high beams. And because it's Canadian I have DRL enabled from the factory. The way this works is the DRL is the high beam bulb, but the trucks ECU/BCM sends a lower voltage to that bulb which makes the highbeam bulb burn much dimmer than normal high beam operation.

This is causing all sorts of grief for me. The voltage on the oem highbeam wire is telling the morimotos to actuate the highbeam flap and at the same time seems to cause the morimoto projectors to turn on.

So with my headlight switch in the off position: I get dim DRL's, and high beam lights on.
Turning the headlight switch 1 turn to parking lights: The exact same behavior.
Turning the switch to headlights on: This releases the high beam actuator flap and I get low beams. Then I can manually actuate the highbeam flap as normal.

With any headlight position I get dimmed DRL's :(

ALL THIS HAPPENS BEFORE THE BCM ******* THAT IT CANT FIND MY HIGHBEAM BULBS. THEN, THE BCM FINALLY REALIZES THE HIGHBEAM BULBS ARE MISSING...... I get the bulb out message and then things change.

Now the truck stops trying to send voltage to my highbeam bulbs for DRL's as it assumes the bulbs are burnt out. So.....

Now if my headlight switch is in the off position: I get ultra bright DRL's from the morimotos. They look freaking amazing like this by the way. Also no more headlights with highbeams on when they shouldnt be. Also the auto dimming of the DRL with the sequential turn signal works perfectly which is a really cool feature!
If I turn my switch to the parking light position: The DRL's DIM so normal operation I think(dimming)?
If I turn on the headlights: I get DIM DRL's and headlights on with no Hi beams. BUT....... highbeam toggle doesn't work :(

So far Morimotos response is to suggest I ask my dealer to disable DRL's in the BCM. I haven't tried calling my service manager yet but I'm skeptical if they will do this for me. DRL's are a legal requirement in Canada. Yes the DRL's are active with the fuse tap DRL add-on wire harness so my truck is technically road legal even if dodge disables them for me. But I have my doubts as to whether or not they will actually do it for me in the software because they might ask "what happens if I take out the morimotos?"

My OPTIONS SO FAR:

1) I am going to ask my dealer to do this for me but I'm already expecting a resounding NO. I don't suppose there are any dodge technicians on this forum in the Greater Toronto Area than can do this for me?

2) There is also the OBD Genie route, but apparently my truck has some sort of security module that requires me to go with the extra expensive version of the software fix which will be somewhere just south of 300 USD. Ouch. (dont forget I got US-CAN exchange rates to work with). It does however add a cool option in the Uconnect interface to enable disable DRL's via a check box. (thats cool) My question is, can FCA see if I've done this. Would it void my warranty?????

3) Attempt to wire in Low Voltage Disconnect relay between the OEM harness and the morimoto harness on the highbeam wire. This would trap the low voltage on the high-beam wire before it make's it to the morimoto harness. If I trigger highbeams, the extra voltage would disable the LVD and allow the full 12V to enter the morimoto harness like normal. IN THEORY

I do love the lights. I pre-ordered black friday and have waited and waited. I had hoped it would be trouble free. I suspect Morimoto didn't account for Canadian Trucks with QUAD Halogen Reflector DRL enabled in the software????? But now I'm stuck with a $1600CAN problem and I'm a little frustrated.