Morimoto HID help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s not causing an error?

Actually no errors before AlfaOBD. Neither with my HID with all their stuff nor with my led fog with resistors nor with my led high beams, nor with all my other leds (reverse, 3rd brake light ,...). I have a 2016.

And no errors after the changes to led for all except hid for the hid in alfaOBD.

EDIT: no error with the new settings (HID or LED) for my HID and LED with resistors when the engine is off - ACC on. I will check later when the engine is on.

Here what I found:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/ViewSpecification?specificationId=733

Last edited:

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is exactly what was happening to me, sometimes the passenger side would take 10-15 seconds, I’d get the light out warning then it would fire. After only a day the ballast blew. Installed new ballast and sometimes passenger light would work sometimes not. Then I replaced the igniter made no difference. 3rd day the drivers ballast blew.

I removed the harness and resistors, set HIgh Intensity Discharge to yes, left all other headlight settings as they were. I still have 1 issue, the passenger light doesn’t always fire when I unlock the doors but it does fire every time when the lights come on, auto or manual.
I’m going to replace the passenger igniter 1 more time when I get the replacement and see if that fixed the final issue.

If you turn off illuminated approach your headlights won't click on with locks. I turned mine off or the lights will go on and off as the trucks trying to start. I removed my harness and resistors today everythings working great now thanks AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you turn off illuminated approach your headlights won't click on with locks. I turned mine off or the lights will go on and off as the trucks trying to start. I removed my harness and resistors today everythings working great now thanks AlfaOBD.
I don’t want to turn off the approach but thanks. Glad you’re work well

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually no errors before AlfaOBD. Neither with my HID with all their stuff nor with my led fog with resistors nor with my led high beams, nor with all my other leds (reverse, 3rd brake light ,...). I have a 2016.

And no errors after the changes to led for all except hid for the hid in alfaOBD.

EDIT: no error with the new settings (HID or LED) for my HID and LED with resistors when the engine is off - ACC on. I will check later when the engine is on.

Here what I found:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/ViewSpecification?specificationId=733

Just checked with the engine on and everything works also without any error codes.

fyreman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is anyone running non canbus hid with the alfa settings? 35w or 55w on factory harness. I have a 2017 2500 with factory projectors. I'm looking to upgrade. DDM is near by and trying to figure out what I need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Is anyone running non canbus hid with the alfa settings? 35w or 55w on factory harness. I have a 2017 2500 with factory projectors. I'm looking to upgrade. DDM is near by and trying to figure out what I need.

All you'll need are bulbs (style depends on year) ballasts (35w) and ignitors.

Along with alfaobd

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Exactly what @RedSRT4Me said. That the setup that is working well.

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update, everything has worked well for a week now. Turning on HID in Alphaodb and eliminating the harness and replacing the ballasts has stabilized everything.
Still not sure if I was just unlucky and had 3 bad ballasts or if something in that harness was killing them.

I have to say it’s a much cleaner and easier install eliminating the harness and those huge resistors.

I also installed HID 55w low beams in my 2015 PW. Headlight Revolution also send a harness with big resisters, but I did not install the harness. Just installed the bulbs and ballasts and set the HID to 'YES' using AlfaOBD. Works Great.

I called Headlight Revolution and their Sales Desk guy s surprisingly knowledgeable. He knew all about the HID setting and how PWM works with our Canbus. He suggested I hold on to the harness they sent for a week or so to make sure no issues, and went ahead and emailed me a return authorization for the harness ($80).

Very happy with my HID upgrade.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also installed HID 55w low beams in my 2015 PW. Headlight Revolution also send a harness with big resisters, but I did not install the harness. Just installed the bulbs and ballasts and set the HID to 'YES' using AlfaOBD. Works Great.

I called Headlight Revolution and their Sales Desk guy s surprisingly knowledgeable. He knew all about the HID setting and how PWM works with our Canbus. He suggested I hold on to the harness they sent for a week or so to make sure no issues, and went ahead and emailed me a return authorization for the harness ($80).

Very happy with my HID upgrade.
That is awesome! Glad everything is working.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I installed Morimoto HID conversion. Consists of the relay harness, ballast, igniter, bulbs

Passenger side lasted 2 days, had to replace bulb

Passenger side went out 2 days later, call TRS and they are sending me a new ballast

1 day later (today) drivers light goes out on my way home.

So in 6 days the lights worked a total of 1 day.

What the hell can be causing this? The relay harness connects to the battery and has its own ground.

I thought Morimoto was supposed to be quality stuff???

TRS has been great and I’m sure they will send me another ballast, but I need to figure out what’s going on, everyone seems to swear by these HID’s and I’m very close to going back to LED, maybe not as bright but they worked.

I had commented earlier in thread about ballast failure also. Well, As of last evening, I just had my 4th Morimoto market ballast failure in under a year. I went on Ebay and ordered a cheap set of HID's that has been on my wifes charger since 2008 with no issues and in my Toyota FJ since 09. Once the unbranded ballast arrive I will deal the TRC and see about another replacement Morimoto ballast again. Needless to say the Morimotos will be shelved and I will keep running the Unknown units. The last issue I had I was told there was a known issue of bad ballast and my replacements were the new type. Guess they were wrong.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've had the Morimoto 35W HID's in my truck replacing the stock projector low beams for over 3 years with no issues. So I'm heading to Montana this week and I stop in Beaver Utah spend the night. About 5am getting ready to leave and low and behold my headlights don't work. I started troubleshooting and long story short I'm guessing both ballasts are gone as I was able to trace voltages to them but nothing out of them. Also the main 12V is exactly where it should be so no ground issue. I'm now driving back home from Provo (where i was able to get a hold of a dmm) to Chula Vista during daylight hours to put back the stock lights. I defiantly will no longer trust anything other than a stock OEM light base and harness. Much less can happen with that simple setup.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the regular bulbs, the HID (bulbs, ballast etc...) have a lifetime.
Definitely less than the regular bulbs indeed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've had the Morimoto 35W HID's in my truck replacing the stock projector low beams for over 3 years with no issues. So I'm heading to Montana this week and I stop in Beaver Utah spend the night. About 5am getting ready to leave and low and behold my headlights don't work. I started troubleshooting and long story short I'm guessing both ballasts are gone as I was able to trace voltages to them but nothing out of them. Also the main 12V is exactly where it should be so no ground issue. I'm now driving back home from Provo (where i was able to get a hold of a dmm) to Chula Vista during daylight hours to put back the stock lights. I defiantly will no longer trust anything other than a stock OEM light base and harness. Much less can happen with that simple setup.

Don't feel bad,i had HID's from a very respected vendor on here in my 13,when they worked they were great,but i couldn't trust them to work for more then a couple hours at most.The vendor warrentied several ballasts and resistors,up till i got totally pissed with them,and ripped them out and put the stock lights back in.They taught me how to pull the headlights out in about a minute though,with-out removing the grill.After that go around,i won't put a set of aftermarket HIDS in another Ram.Some guys have no issues,but there's also lots of guys who do have issues with aftermarket HIDS in Rams,and when they shut down after dark in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan at 2:00am and it's snowing,life sucks,that was the final straw,lol

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I pulled the lights out of my truckPXL_20201107_234259008.jpg yesterday. When i pulled out the drivers side light assembly i heard some rattling like sand inside the assembly. When i removed the back cover and pulled the hid bulb out it was busted. I'm back to stock bulbs for now. Threw away the whole hid system.