Morimoto LED Fogs (13+)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Yeah, I put these on my site......and backorder. UGH.

Overall....not as bright as HIDs........I think for fogs, they'd be stellar.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So, since the Morimoto's were backordered I decided to see what was available on ebay. I found these that appear to be a knock off and thought... for my fogs... what the heck.

I have never owned HIDs so I can't compare but they are much brighter the 9005 halogens i had in my fogs. I can hardly tell my headlights are on. Time will tell how long they'll last but i must say I am impressed with their output.

If the morimoto's don't come in soon I will probably order a set of H11s for my lows.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Did any of you have any issues with radio interference? We've seen several issues with LED fog lights in the 4th gen RAM platform. They will light up just fine, but several people have said if you turn your AM/FM radio on when the fog lights are on, there is static or interference.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Did any of you have any issues with radio interference? We've seen several issues with LED fog lights in the 4th gen RAM platform. They will light up just fine, but several people have said if you turn your AM/FM radio on when the fog lights are on, there is static or interference.

interesting. I will have to see. i don't normally listen to AM/FM.

**EDIT*** I checked mine a little while ago and none of the LED lights i have installed cause any radio interference. I can say that the LED i put in the reverse lights and LP lights are causing some interference with the the back up cam. but its not that bad.

Last edited:

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
So what's the benefit of LED fogs? Just curious, as it seems from what others have said they're not as bright as HID's? Is it just ease of installation compared to HIDs? I know they're brighter than stock.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
For me, they are brighter than stock, simple plug and play and almost half the cost of a full HID system.

Like most, I feel that true HIDs belong in projectors and I have no desire to break open my housings right now.

It was raining on the way to work this morning and I could see much better than with my 9005s and did not get flashed by a single oncoming car.

Last edited:

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
For me, they are brighter than stock, simple plug and play and almost half the cost of a full HID system.

Like most, I feel that true HIDs belong in projectors and I have no desire to break open my housings right now.

It was raining on the way to work this morning and I could see much better than with my 9005s and did not get flashed by a single oncoming car.

Do u have a link for the leds u installed?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Anyone looking at the LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Anyone looking at the LED bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs?

I did. The 2 negatives for me was that they only have 1 side-emitting LED and because of the fan they will not fit in the factory 4th Gen headlight housing without significant modification to the dust cap.

The Morimoto LEDs (and the ones I linked to) are small enough that they can fit inside the factory housing under the dustcap.

I started with the bulbs for the fogs from ebay so I could test them out while waiting for the Morimotos to come back in stock. I like these so much that I might the H11s from the same place. based on the pics there is very little difference between the 2.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I did. The 2 negatives for me was that they only have 1 side-emitting LED and because of the fan they will not fit in the factory 4th Gen headlight housing without significant modification to the dust cap.

The Morimoto LEDs (and the ones I linked to) are small enough that they can fit inside the factory housing under the dustcap.

I started with the bulbs for the fogs from ebay so I could test them out while waiting for the Morimotos to come back in stock. I like these so much that I might the H11s from the same place. based on the pics there is very little difference between the 2.

How long have u had them for. And do u always run ur fogs with ur heads on?

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
They have only been on since Friday. Yes, in always run my fogs. Headlights alone might as well tape a flashlight to the hood LOL!

Haha more like 3 flashlights at least!

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Any luck on the AM/FM radio issue? I have both 9005 and H11 versions of these LED bulbs, but haven't tested them on the Ram yet so they are not on our website.
LMJYV1.jpg

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
@ Enlight. No problems with the 9005s I put in my fogs. Give me a deal on some H11s and I will test them for you :)

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a feeling that's going to be the next gen is these high power LEDs on all 4 sides or more.
I agree. But I also hope they can continue to make the LEDs more efficient so they can be installed using only the factory harnesses/wiring. If the only way to brighter LEDs in our trucks requires relays and such then to me it is probably better to stick with HIDs.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
@ Enlight. No problems with the 9005s I put in my fogs. Give me a deal on some H11s and I will test them for you :)

I just realized you must have a 09-12 Ram since you put 9005 in the fogs (specification is H10/9145 but 9005 can be made to fit). I've seen issues only on the 2013+ model. The Computer system is different. I'll shoot you a PM.

-------

The limiting factor for LED headlights / fog lights has little to do with wiring and everything to do with thermal management. Have you ever seen a household LED bulb? They have huge massive heat sinks for bulbs that only put out 800-1000lm. To be 100% accurate, most of these LED headlights and fog lights you see on the market will not last anywhere near as long as a household LED bulb.

I have tested these exact bulbs you put in your fog lights, they consume 18W of power each bulb. To run 18W of power in a small space like headlight housing or fog light housing, is extremely difficult. Basically the higher the operating temperature, the shorter the life time. Everybody says LED's are 30000hrs, but these aftermarket automotive LEDs will be closer to 3000hrs, if that. Simply because of the higher operating temperature. And the fact that the LED's themselves are in a sealed housing.

By comparison, HID and Halogen bulbs are made from 2 things. Glass, and metal. Both of which could care less about super high temperatures. LED's are akin to your computer hardware. Try heating up your computer to boiling temperatures and things will shut down pretty quickly.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just realized you must have a 09-12 Ram since you put 9005 in the fogs (specification is H10/9145 but 9005 can be made to fit). I've seen issues only on the 2013+ model. The Computer system is different. I'll shoot you a PM.

-------

The limiting factor for LED headlights / fog lights has little to do with wiring and everything to do with thermal management. Have you ever seen a household LED bulb? They have huge massive heat sinks for bulbs that only put out 800-1000lm. To be 100% accurate, most of these LED headlights and fog lights you see on the market will not last anywhere near as long as a household LED bulb.

I have tested these exact bulbs you put in your fog lights, they consume 18W of power each bulb. To run 18W of power in a small space like headlight housing or fog light housing, is extremely difficult. Basically the higher the operating temperature, the shorter the life time. Everybody says LED's are 30000hrs, but these aftermarket automotive LEDs will be closer to 3000hrs, if that. Simply because of the higher operating temperature. And the fact that the LED's themselves are in a sealed housing.

By comparison, HID and Halogen bulbs are made from 2 things. Glass, and metal. Both of which could care less about super high temperatures. LED's are akin to your computer hardware. Try heating up your computer to boiling temperatures and things will shut down pretty quickly.
You are correct, my Ram is a 2012. We kinda hijacked the original thread.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ive been running these since I installed with 0 issues! Still performing great, havent had one person flash me and has been night and day difference with stock lights. I installed both heads and fogs in my 09 and run them simultaneously..