Multiple cylinder misfire- dealer said it was the lifters and cam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi

if you’re still under warranty the consensus is Hemi Honey 5w20 (redline) if you plan on keeping the truck long term. Or at the very least add lubeguard to Mobil 1 or PUP etc. (from the 46586 page long oil thread)
The 6.4's call for 0W-40 in both the trucks and cars,but a few guys are running 5W-30 in them with good success

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was in a very similar situation. Sudden rough running engine. Repair shop spent a week diagnosing. Decided it was a bad lifter that ruined the cam. Shop wanted to do a rebuild or put in a new engine.
I decided to fix it myself. I Fixed it in one day for $80.00
When taking the engine apart, I took the valve cover off. Found a broken valve spring.
Broken valve spring.
Check the valve spring.
It saved me $6,000.00
nice! well done.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The 6.4's call for 0W-40 in both the trucks and cars,but a few guys are running 5W-30 in them with good success
Yes hemi honey is 5w30 redline, as it is a little better at killing tick then 5w20 redline. But, one of the more sound strategies is having someone like the dealer doing all of the changes but adding 15 ounce lubeguard biotech. It isnt something that is going to jump out in a upa as an additive, and fca tends to use high moly oils anyhow, so a high moly count is nothing out of the ordinary. So yes 5w30 reldine has earned it's spot on ram forum, but if someone is trying to keep their warranty intact or trying to keep the price down, this is another good strategy.