Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoodis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi guys, new to posts and ram 5.7 truck in General. But basically my issue is the multiple misfire code I am getting, and it does not show me which cylinder is actually misfiring. I had got the truck for a fair price due to misfire on cylinder #5 and did all the basic tests and ended up needing to change the camshaft and lifters, I did everything that I honestly feel was proper in the tear down/rebuild. I replaced camshaft, lifters, head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, head bolts, upper cam phaser (VVT). Originally I didn’t get the timing correct and vehicle wouldn’t start, so I had to tear back down and redo the timing, after doing that I put the engine back together and started the truck, only to start horrible with a very rough Idle which ended up stalling out and not starting again. With codes p0300, p2008, p2017. And originally the only code was misfire on cylinder #5. I don’t know where I could have gone wrong! Or even, how could I diagnose where the issue is coming from? Whether it’s pushrods, vac leak or something else rather? Thanks to anyone who has some advice to offer!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Never done one but it appears like your intake runner is cocked in the bore, I think it is rubber. Did you even touch that? Ignore the misfire code which is cool because most of the time you have a laundry list to check, it is something going on with your runner. When you take it off, my guess you will easily see this. It is kinda a pita, so get more opinions before doing this.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi guys, new to posts and ram 5.7 truck in General. But basically my issue is the multiple misfire code I am getting, and it does not show me which cylinder is actually misfiring. I had got the truck for a fair price due to misfire on cylinder #5 and did all the basic tests and ended up needing to change the camshaft and lifters, I did everything that I honestly feel was proper in the tear down/rebuild. I replaced camshaft, lifters, head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, head bolts, upper cam phaser (VVT). Originally I didn’t get the timing correct and vehicle wouldn’t start, so I had to tear back down and redo the timing, after doing that I put the engine back together and started the truck, only to start horrible with a very rough Idle which ended up stalling out and not starting again. With codes p0300, p2008, p2017. And originally the only code was misfire on cylinder #5. I don’t know where I could have gone wrong! Or even, how could I diagnose where the issue is coming from? Whether it’s pushrods, vac leak or something else rather? Thanks to anyone who has some advice to offer!
Do a compression test.The Hemi is an interferance engine,and if you had the timing out,and tried to start it,it might have bent a valve,or a pushrod.Compression test will tell you if you have issues with either a valve or pushrod

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I see there is other possibility then a cocked valve peter, whatever the term is for that thing in the valve that protrudes out. Could also just be clogged. Either clogged or cocked the bad air flow causes the misfire.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if you can actually bend that thing when doing engine work, probably not, just brainstorming to the why. If you hit it hard or something. Or dirt got in vac, dunno. Couldnbt see one for the hemi, but you see this guys was just stuck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id bet money on a Intake push rod not clicked in all the way or missed the hole happens all the time and will cause random multiple missfires pull valve covers turn engine over check to make sure they all move and that they are clicked in all the way.

OP
OP
S

Stoodis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@Wild one @jws123 ok so I managed to get home and do compression test with cylinder 8 and 6 pushing 0 psi while others vary from Cyl 1 -150, Cyl 3 -210, Cyl 5 - 180, Cyl 7 - 170, Cyl 2 - 190, Cyl 4 - 180

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one @jws123 ok so I managed to get home and do compression test with cylinder 8 and 6 pushing 0 psi while others vary from Cyl 1 -150, Cyl 3 -210, Cyl 5 - 180, Cyl 7 - 170, Cyl 2 - 190, Cyl 4 - 180
Yep so check the push rods on cylinder 8 and 6 bet they are not clicked in or in the wrong hole easy to do It will cause no compression.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
True pushrods the most common issue with cam install, wouldnt it be ticking if the pushrod wasnt cupped?

OP
OP
S

Stoodis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
@Wild one @jws123 hey guys, so a little good and bad. The good is that I did have pushrods out of place, and they looked good, didn’t roll them though. And the truck started and ran better than before! That’s for sure! But I have misfire on cylinder 8, and I noticed the rocker was movable still after torque to spec. After compression test it was still getting 145. Any tips as to what I need to do to fix this issue?

OP
OP
S

Stoodis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I should also mention that I can hear a ticking/tapping sound coming from cylinder 8 while I throttle

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one @jws123 hey guys, so a little good and bad. The good is that I did have pushrods out of place, and they looked good, didn’t roll them though. And the truck started and ran better than before! That’s for sure! But I have misfire on cylinder 8, and I noticed the rocker was movable still after torque to spec. After compression test it was still getting 145. Any tips as to what I need to do to fix this issue?
If it's pumping 145,it sounds like the valves are all good. I'd run it for a day and see if it gets any better.It can take a few miles to get everything pumped up and working properly.With the spread you have on your compression test,the motor sounds like it's a bit tired,so i don't know how much more money i'd throw at it,before i considered swapping it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stoodis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If it's pumping 145,it sounds like the valves are all good. I'd run it for a day and see if it gets any better.It can take a few miles to get everything pumped up and working properly.With the spread you have on your compression test,the motor sounds like it's a bit tired,so i don't know how much more money i'd throw at it,before i considered swapping it.
Alright sounds good! Thanks, buuut what would you do to fix the tapping sound or maybe you know a post I could read?
Also how difficult is a swap? You ever do one?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Alright sounds good! Thanks, buuut what would you do to fix the tapping sound or maybe you know a post I could read?
Also how difficult is a swap? You ever do one?
You're in the Bridge,join the Alberta GCSRT8 Owners page on facebook and hunt up Evan Abel on the page,and see if you can get him to listen to it for you.He runs a pretty healthy Jeep out of the Bridge. I forget if Tach Tech / Dan lives in Lethbridge or the Hat,but i think Dan also lives in Lethbridge.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should also mention that I can hear a ticking/tapping sound coming from cylinder 8 while I throttle
Did you prime the new lifters before installation?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94793 miles.