Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inthespeedlane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi express package
Had the hemi tick the past month. Had a misfire code on one of the cylinders. They said one of the rods are likely bent. Dealership recommends a cam and lifter replacement for 10k or engine replacement for 14k on my 2015 ram v8 with 63000 miles on it.

Might just pay the diagnostic and take to a smaller shop to have them repair it.

I'm a little bit apprehensive as to whether they have been maintaining it correctly. I have the essential care plan and sometimes when I get my truck back my tires aren't rotated. Also I changed the oil myself before turning it in and saved the oil filter which had a 2015 date code on it. I'll see if they replace the oil filter this time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Honestly that is weird, the usual suspect is a cam lob is wiped and not the rods bent. If the rod was bent, I am missing why they would just replace rods and lifters. Basically, they are full of *****, like really pouring over the edge full of te rdz. You most likely do need cam.lifters, mise well throw rods in too, small cost considering. Or go to small shop and ask them if they can check rods and if needed then add cam to the job. That's the issue when dealers are full of te rdz, it messes up how the truck gets fixed.

Find the lubrication threads in my sig, learn some lubrication strategies.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
BTW, the vast majority of these happen between 70-130k miles of trucks that will need cams, so you are just a little early on yours.

OP
OP
I

inthespeedlane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi express package
Honestly that is weird, the usual suspect is a cam lob is wiped and not the rods bent. If the rod was bent, I am missing why they would just replace rods and lifters. Basically, they are full of *****, like really pouring over the edge full of te rdz. You most likely do need cam.lifters, mise well throw rods in too, small cost considering. Or go to small shop and ask them if they can check rods and if needed then add cam to the job. That's the issue when dealers are full of te rdz, it messes up how the truck gets fixed.

Find the lubrication threads in my sig, learn some lubrication strategies.

Yeah I'm about to take it to a smaller shop and call around for some quotes if anyone knows some in maryland let me know.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
makes you wonder, would an extended warranty would have helped.

I know that my eco-diesel extended warranty is still in effect

Gas powered engines have a longer warranty

EDIT:
back in 2015
I think you could still buy a Lifetime Extended Warranty
More recently, Mopar stopped offering that warranty

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

inthespeedlane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi express package
makes you wonder, would an extended warranty would have helped.

I know that my eco-diesel extended warranty is still in effect

Gas powered engines have a longer warranty
I had an extended warranty that expired in July of this year. How long is yours for ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I drove my 2016 Ram eco-diesel, up the day that the Car Carrier dropped it off at the dealership.
JANUARY 16, 2016
my extended warranty was the longest warranty that i could get for an eco diesel
It ends January 15th, 2023 at midnight

I was under the impression that Gas engine Rams extended warranty was for 8 or more years

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
You could probably pick up a salvaged engine for alot less. While its out do a hellcat oil pump swap and maybe lifters depending on mileage.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in mid 2021, the dealership diagnosis of the ticking noise in my ‘17, determined my then 44K engine had “piston slap” they replaced the engine on their dime.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would get a second opinion, period.

regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98420 miles.

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the breakdown of the prices your dealer is quoting? I ask because MSRP on a new 5.7 from Mopar is $7495. I can't see how that's getting to $14,000

OP
OP
I

inthespeedlane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi express package
Back in mid 2021, the dealership diagnosis of the ticking noise in my ‘17, determined my then 44K engine had “piston slap” they replaced the engine on their dime.
Lol Lucky

OP
OP
I

inthespeedlane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi express package
What is the breakdown of the prices your dealer is quoting? I ask because MSRP on a new 5.7 from Mopar is $7495. I can't see how that's getting to $14,000
I think they don't want to do it lol. This dealership service department mostly services emergency vehicles from the looks of it.

I've called around to a few local mechanics to take a look.

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Had the hemi tick the past month. Had a misfire code on one of the cylinders. They said one of the rods are likely bent. Dealership recommends a cam and lifter replacement for 10k or engine replacement for 14k on my 2015 ram v8 with 63000 miles on it.

Might just pay the diagnostic and take to a smaller shop to have them repair it.

I'm a little bit apprehensive as to whether they have been maintaining it correctly. I have the essential care plan and sometimes when I get my truck back my tires aren't rotated. Also I changed the oil myself before turning it in and saved the oil filter which had a 2015 date code on it. I'll see if they replace the oil filter this time.

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
GO TO another dealer or shop, bull ***** on bent rods..

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Neomoritate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they don't want to do it lol. This dealership service department mostly services emergency vehicles from the looks of it.

I've called around to a few local mechanics to take a look.
I suggest looking at rebuilt engines also. You can find better warranties than new, at significantly lower prices.