My built n ordered Ram 1500 showed up with wrong rear end ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A5AB6E8F-F3A0-4CF8-A93E-649A1631EFEC.png
when yes it shows the

If I wanted the 3.92 I would of chose it.
Im pretty sure they cant build the "correct" one, 3.55 not available with Hemi

Maybe OP can get one with 3.92 instead, but my guess is there isnt any cheap or easy way of coming back from this (especially if they already drove it off the lot)

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you sign the papers and take it home? Your best bet would have been to refuse delivery till it was right.
The only way I found out was because of calling fca with my vin# to verify options. Had a feeling driving home. When an option is standard it is not listed on options sheet. My window sticker says nothing about rear end ratio either. If I knew at time of pickup I wouldn’t of accepted it. I was back within an hour of picking it up. The dealership agrees it shouldn’t have a 3.21 according to my build.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If the truck is fine and you like it, I have had two with 3.21's and 35's....but if your fine, ask for free tint, spray in bedliner, etc for the mistake and keep it.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's weird, have never seen that on the build site...I wonder if that is a Canada only thing for some reason? For ours in the US once you select the hemi it upgrades the 8 speed to the one for the hemi and takes away the 3.55 option, only leaving 3.21 and 3.92 as options.

You said you ordered a regular cab, are they taking orders on a 5th gen regular cab now or did you order a 2019 classic (4th gen)? On our U.S. site there doesn't seem to be an option for a 5th gen regular cab, so I went to build a 2019 classic express and could not get a hemi with 3.55's.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only way I found out was because of calling fca with my vin# to verify options. Had a feeling driving home. When an option is standard it is not listed on options sheet. My window sticker says nothing about rear end ratio either. If I knew at time of pickup I wouldn’t of accepted it. I was back within an hour of picking it up. The dealership agrees it shouldn’t have a 3.21 according to my build.

That's also strange, unless window stickers are also different in Canada which they may be...someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe our window stickers list the gear ratio, either under standard equipment or optional equipment.

You said there's other trucks on their lot with hemi/8 speed and 3.55's though? Can you share what dealer this is? We can easily confirm this with some vin #'s from their website. I'm really curious now.

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with everyone else, haven't seen the hemi offered with 3.55's since the older 5/6 speed transmissions, and have only seen 3.55's on the v6's since the 8 speed has been out (2013). Not sure why the build site would offer that, and also a good lesson to never take the salesmans word for anything, they generally don't know very much compared to people on here, who clearly would have told you that it wasn't even an option. Maybe it was an honest mistake on his part, many times it isn't (just say whatever you have to and make the sale), but either way, they don't know squat compared to people on here and people should really stop taking their word as if it were worth anything at all!

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never took someone’s wordB6628FF3-07F1-44F0-9F33-C31EFC06E35D.png . It shows standard on dealership computer as well as my build at home on my pc.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's also strange, unless window stickers are also different in Canada which they may be...someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe our window stickers list the gear ratio, either under standard equipment or optional equipment.

You said there's other trucks on their lot with hemi/8 speed and 3.55's though? Can you share what dealer this is? We can easily confirm this with some vin #'s from their website. I'm really curious now.

its not on our canadian build list or window sticker. i had to look at my differential to confirm what mine was. the only thing it notes is i have an antislip differential

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I can take a picture of my window sticker if you like. Almost every dealer I went to in my city, Windsor Ontario Canada has 2019 classic rams with 3.55s on their lot or at least that’s what’s being advertised. I went to another dealership today pretending that I was interested in ordering the same truck I just did and was shown and told a 3.55 will be included once again.

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's weird, have never seen that on the build site...I wonder if that is a Canada only thing for some reason? For ours in the US once you select the hemi it upgrades the 8 speed to the one for the hemi and takes away the 3.55 option, only leaving 3.21 and 3.92 as options.

You said you ordered a regular cab, are they taking orders on a 5th gen regular cab now or did you order a 2019 classic (4th gen)? On our U.S. site there doesn't seem to be an option for a 5th gen regular cab, so I went to build a 2019 classic express and could not get a hemi with 3.55's.
This is a 2019 4th gen classic express

OP
OP
Nbachorn

Nbachorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the Ram Canada build and price it shows 2 packages available a 26J or 27J for a 4x4 Hemi classic Ram express. They list both with 8spd trans but not the same 8spd, the 26J says DFK 8spd and 27J is a DFD. no idea what the difference is but you can’t get a 3.55 with a DFD 8spd according to the build and price

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the Ram Canada build and price it shows 2 packages available a 26J or 27J for a 4x4 Hemi classic Ram express. They list both with 8spd trans but not the same 8spd, the 26J says DFK 8spd and 27J is a DFD. no idea what the difference is but you can’t get a 3.55 with a DFD 8spd according to the build and price

Yeah that must be something Canadian only, and if it's like our setup, the one 8 speed is built for a little less power and is mated to the v6. Whereas the other 8 speed can handle a little more and therefore goes on the hemi. So in terms of that, the 3.55's are only available here, paired with the v6 and lower trans...so I'm wondering if they are offering the hemi with the lower trans and 3.55's up there?

When I have some more time I'll have to look some of these up to see what exact combination of drive train these are.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its not on our canadian build list or window sticker. i had to look at my differential to confirm what mine was. the only thing it notes is i have an antislip differential

Man they really like to give you guys a harder time up there it seems...you can still lookup build sheets right?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yep. i got mine from the link that has been posted here before.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i stand corrected. it is on the build sheet. my bad. i didn't recall seeing it there before. i remember now after reading of the rear end not matching what was expected before that i looked at my axle to confirm the build sheet info.

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar issue with a Windsor dealer, but mine actually forgot to add 3.92's so I got 3.21's.

Pretty sure the 3.55 is just left over from the 6 speed and their build and price just never got updated when they stopped selling it.

It's in the specs sheet the you can only get the hemi and 8 speed with 3.21 or 3.92 https://www.ramtruck.ca/documents/ramtruck/specifications/2019-ramtruck-1500ds-specifications-en.pdf

The difference between 3.55 and 3.21 isn't really noticeable, especially with the gearing in the 8 speed. And towing wise you only lose 550lbs between 3.21 and 3.92.