My OEM+ Cold Air Intake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Recently came up with the idea to make my own "track style" intake, but couldn't an inline filter I liked. I had the S&B on my truck, it was on there when I bought the truck. Didn't want to mess up a perfectly good S&B so I had one of my friends swap with me for his OEM intake. I felt no real difference in performance, but he had a K&N panel filter in there... In order for this intake to work the way I wanted to, I had to move the coolant overflow bottle, that was super simple, I just unbolted it and moved it closer to the center on the radiator. I also got rid of the AGS while I was in there. So I used a Spectre 4" duct flange, a silicone 45* coupler, a straight silicone coupler, a piece of 2' 45* aluminum pipe, and an aluminum velocity stack. Also got rid of the K&N and got an OEM EcoDiesel air filter.

Have had it on for about a week now, and I love it. No real difference in performance, which I was expecting. Only seems to feel different on he highway when there's an excess of air. IATs stay within 2-3 degrees of Ambient temp at highway speeds, and drop to the same temp as ambient at wide open throttle. Water also does not seem to be as big of an issue as some would have thought. Enjoy some pics!

IMG_6811.jpg IMG_6812.jpg IMG_6813.jpg IMG_6814.jpg IMG_6809.jpg

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Did you close off the original air inlet?

If not you may want to try it.

Think of it this way. If the front in pushing air into the box; the original air inlet is letting it out. The air is taking the path of least resistance.

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Did you close off the original air inlet?

If not you may want to try it.

Think of it this way. If the front in pushing air into the box; the original air inlet is letting it out. The air is taking the path of least resistance.

You're talking about the horn that went into the fender right? That's gone, hence the duct flange. you can see it in the last pic. the hole in the fender is still there, but there's nothing attached to it.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You're talking about the horn that went into the fender right? That's gone, hence the duct flange. you can see it in the last pic. the hole in the fender is still there, but there's nothing attached to it.

But is the hole in the air box there? If so a little duct tape should seal it.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
No, that's where the 4" pipe goes into. it completely sealed off.

Theoretically that should increase the psi in the box and get more air into the motor then the normal set up.

If you want, you could try adding a larger intake hole - think funnel to capture more air.

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Theoretically that should increase the psi in the box and get more air into the motor then the normal set up.

If you want, you could try adding a larger intake hole - think funnel to capture more air.

You’re saying larger velocity stack? For example, 5” stack down to a 4” pipe at the box...?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great @Dannyn_01 !

I'm a big fan of the OEM intake since its a factory sealed cold air intake. However I cant stand how restrictive the factory route thru the fender to the intake duct is and this is a great solution.

Do you have a scantool or anything similar to monitor the intake temps?

Can you post some pics of the coolant overflow moved over?

How did you attach the 4in pipe to the box?

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looks great @Dannyn_01 !

I'm a big fan of the OEM intake since its a factory sealed cold air intake. However I cant stand how restrictive the factory route thru the fender to the intake duct is and this is a great solution.

Do you have a scantool or anything similar to monitor the intake temps?

Can you post some pics of the coolant overflow moved over?

How did you attach the 4in pipe to the box?

I’m using the Torque Pro app on the tablet I use for AlfaOBD. I have a screen with just the Ambient Temp and Intake Temp next to each other so it’s super simple to read and compare.

I used a “duct flange”. Basically a flat square flange, with a 4” hole on the center for a pipe to clamp onto. I didn’t have to modify the stock box, it fit in there nice and snug. All I did was use 2 of the 4 bolt holes and a small bead of silicone around the edge to help it seal.

Here are the pics of the overflow... it works great the way it is, but I do plan on grabbing a cheap one off amazon and mount it elsewhere.

29F8AB92-B383-4FC7-8BCE-B679ECD43C2C.jpeg 4F0CF33F-D13B-429C-BF3E-F7CD4FE4DF34.jpeg BADFBD40-1526-4752-B6FE-194BE94D4218.jpeg CB924540-209F-46DE-8F04-231CDA0BDD63.jpeg B0BF7959-6C0C-4720-90E9-A28F57528F8E.jpeg

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Great pics, thanks!

Have you noticed a difference in intake temps since doing this?

you’re very welcome!

unfortunately I didn’t have the tablet setup before this. I was hoping to find someone else’s info on the stock intake, or even the S&B but I didn’t have any luck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was running the factory intake it was always around 7-10* above ambient temps on the highway. I remember the S&B was virtually the same as the factory setup when I had that for a short time.

Sounds like yours is doing better than that which shows its definitely working...

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
love the idea man perfect for turbos or supercharged trucks.. but on a naturally aspirated motor you want the air intake to have the shortest air travel distance. air gets more turbulent with longer pipes and bends truck almost has to fight for air that second when u hit the throttle ..i think vararam is the only intake company that did everything rite.

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
love the idea man perfect for turbos or supercharged trucks.. but on a naturally aspirated motor you want the air intake to have the shortest air travel distance. air gets more turbulent with longer pipes and bends truck almost has to fight for air that second when u hit the throttle ..i think vararam is the only intake company that did everything rite.

i agree with you, but hears where I don’t ... the factory intake draws air through a tight 90° elbow right at the air box, where it proceeds to go into the fender, where it gets its air from a tiny hole next to the headlight. Seems to be not so smooth and kind of tight. Where this is a smooth, almost straight, huge pipe that runs the same length as the factory setup. It has to be a just a little better than what was there before.

*edit* - If i look through the velocity stack I can see the back of the air filter

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i agree with you, but hears where I don’t ... the factory intake draws air through a tight 90° elbow right at the air box, where it proceeds to go into the fender, where it gets its air from a tiny hole next to the headlight. Seems to be not so smooth and kind of tight. Where this is a smooth, almost straight, huge pipe that runs the same length as the factory setup. It has to be a just a little better than what was there before.

*edit* - If i look through the velocity stack I can see the back of the air filter

The factory set-up also draws air from the high pressure area in front of the pass side tire.If you follow the original fender duct,it's also open at the bottom to get air from the front tire. I like your set-up,and as you stated is superior to the factories set-up.Looks good Danny

OP
OP
Dannyn_01

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The factory set-up also draws air from the high pressure area in front of the pass side tire.If you follow the original fender duct,it's also open at the bottom to get air from the front tire. I like your set-up,and as you stated is superior to the factories set-up.Looks good Danny

Ah, I was unaware of the other opening. Good to know.
Thank you very much!

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I like the vararam design just a short about 6inch tall straight pipe connecting the filter to TB and thats it haha love the simplicity..

Think of a straw the longer it is the harder to suck air out of it now add few 45deg bends gets even harder :)