My TPMS sensor Blew Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the wife was in the house and heard a loud pop outside. She thought maybe my air compressor went off, but turns out it was one of my TPMS sensors. The stem has a huge tear in it. Just blew while parked in the driveway, haven't driven the truck since yesterday.

With that said, can I just buy oem sensors or do I need to get something else. I have aftermarket wheels and rims, but I believe the sensors in them now are the originals from when it was stock

OctaneMatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had tires put on yesterday, during installation the shop called me to let me know that of my stems were leaking. Turns out they can rebuild them. My shop repaired both sensors for $11 each. Much cheaper than buying replacement sensors.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can use a rebuild kit and reuse the actual sensor.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, after some research I did determine the stem is replaceable and am taking it to a shop to have it replaced. So glad that is possible as I didn't want to have to buy all new sensors! Kinda wierd how it just blew a hole like it did while sitting in the driveway.

OP
OP
MarshRam

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it fixed. Had to run down to Tire Kingdom to get it done. He said one of the sensors was cracked. Probably explains why one of them went out when I had tires put on last year, which has been a mystery since. I suspected one got damaged during that tire install. Anyhow, guy from Tire Kingdom said they had the sensors in stock and would replace all of them, which I was all for until he told me each sensor was $98. $400 for the sensors, no thanks, that's just ridiculous.

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol $98 a sensor, the dealer is only like $56. Id sell the whole extra set I have for $98...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They definitely tried to hustle you. Don't even have to dismount to change them. Just pop the bead, swap it and re seat.