Need some info on these heavy duty Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
And yes. It was way over the legal limit the truck and trailer. The ducks weigh 11 lbs. 10 to a crate. 5 crates wide. The width and length.

Yeah, I would say 17k would be waaayyyy over that truck and trailers rated limits. Be careful with that.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
Yeah, I would say 17k would be waaayyyy over that truck and trailers rated limits. Be careful with that.
Young and stupid..... I did it twice and quite. And told them why i quite. And they kept on doing it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Young and stupid..... I did it twice and quite. And told them why i quite. And they kept on doing it.

Well good for you. No paycheck is worth your own life or anyone else's. It is a shame that they would rather cheap out and risk other people's lives than to pay for a bigger set up to do it right and safe.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
Well good for you. No paycheck is worth your own life or anyone else's. It is a shame that they would rather cheap out and risk other people lives than to pay for a bigger set up to do it right.
You are so right. They stuff you learn about people..... it keeps you on your toes. Up here anyways.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
Well guys, thank you so much for your input!

I think I'm going to be looking for a Power Wagon or a properly equipped (for my purpose) 2500 gasser. A diesel would be nice but I need one and there's just too much I'd feel would need to be done for me to feel comfortable in the truck (though some folks here have already said that's mute with these trucks). My last question is, does the Power Wagon come with a mega cab? Also, how much bigger is the mega cab than the next size down?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ford has made ALOT of changes since the 6.0 and 5.4. They are leading the pack in technology. The 6.2 is no slouch by any means, 6.8 unstoppable and the 6.7 is a power house. We have a fleet of them both gas and diesel will not a single regret.

Oh look, here we go trolling for Ford again. Don't recall the OP asking for feedback on the Ford trucks. Do you actually get paid by Ford for each post you write?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well guys, thank you so much for your input!

I think I'm going to be looking for a Power Wagon or a properly equipped (for my purpose) 2500 gasser. A diesel would be nice but I need one and there's just too much I'd feel would need to be done for me to feel comfortable in the truck (though some folks here have already said that's mute with these trucks). My last question is, does the Power Wagon come with a mega cab? Also, how much bigger is the mega cab than the next size down?

Nope, only in a Crew Cab with a 6'4" box.

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
seen some conflicting info OP, but a 2500 gasser with 6.4 has a couple gear options. I run a 2015 outdoorsman 2500 with 6.4 and 4.10 gear. tows my 5er like a baus.

side note, the HD coils in the 2500 ride exceptionally better if your doing any dirt road travelling, less hop.

also the power wagon no longer has 4.56 option as far as I know the last of the 4.56 was 2012/2013 era. I miss mine dearly...minus the ****** payload cap

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
just one mans opinion.... the power wagon is waste of time and money unless for some reason you REALLY want the lockers.

I mean you can get 4.10s in a normal truck, you can add a winch for 1k bucks. done.

99% of people are offroading their big 2500 crew cab trucks to the point where they need locking diffs front and rear with disconnecting sway bars.

Don't get me wrong, its cool as hell, but I just don't see any functionality in it for 99% of people in this truck market. Other than simply wanting it. So you could save yourself thousands of dollars by getting a 6.4 Mega Cab with 4.10s.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
Yeah, I'm not exclusively looking for a Power wagon, but if it's on the market for the right price I'm picking up because it is cool haha. I'm still not sure if I want to buy new or used with 30k miles or so yet.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How close are you to Maryland? Because there are some Power Wagon Laramie models for sale for like 49k online over there. That's by far the lowest price ive ever seen on them.

http://www.ourismanchryslerdodgejee...00-Bowie-f3e54a9f0a0e0ae77546168acde49a38.htm

^^^ Not sure how much of the price is fluff, but they seemed eager to sell them when I was there a month ago. I think you could land it at 50-51k (assuming you don't qualify for all the rebates). I don't know if that's a great price or not, honestly, but it seems like a good deal based on MSRP.

Last edited:

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
just one mans opinion.... the power wagon is waste of time and money unless for some reason you REALLY want the lockers.

I mean you can get 4.10s in a normal truck, you can add a winch for 1k bucks. done.

99% of people are offroading their big 2500 crew cab trucks to the point where they need locking diffs front and rear with disconnecting sway bars.

Don't get me wrong, its cool as hell, but I just don't see any functionality in it for 99% of people in this truck market. Other than simply wanting it. So you could save yourself thousands of dollars by getting a 6.4 Mega Cab with 4.10s.

I also agree with this, and i'm a previous power wagon owner, while it was "cool" at the time, the payload and tow rating hit basically made it a 1500 that rode like a bag of hammers.

and did I ever use the lockers? nope...other than to test that they worked, same with the sway bar. and i used the winch twice, which a normal tow rope could of handled.

also not a fan of the new appearance items of the PW, the chrome lettering on tail..ick, the digital mud decal...ick. my 2012 had the old school lettering on hood and decal, the two tone rockers with pin stripe and the tailgate decal, they looked cool IMO.

but again the tow rating hit is ridiculous.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
I'm closer to Seattle haha. There's a '13 with 66k miles within reasonable distance to look at for 34k.

2013 Ram 2500 4WD Crew Cab 149 Power Wagon 5.7

The only reason I'm saying no to this truck right now is because if I'm spending this amount of money, it's going to be what I want and I do not want cloth seats. They're a paint to clean, I'd rather wipe a wet rag over a leather or vinyl seat lol. I'm not going to get seat covers either, but I'll probably look into getting the seats re-upholstered in leather if I find "the" truck minus the seats. The hard thing about this one is for 6k more I can get a brand new tradesman with 0 miles, and that's before dealer pricing comes into play.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I would encourage you to go with the 6.4L in either gear configuration over the 5.7L. Just my opinion though.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How close are you to Maryland? Because there are some Power Wagon Laramie models for sale for like 49k online over there. That's by far the lowest price ive ever seen on them.

New 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Truck Crew Cab For Sale in Bowie MD | VIN: 3C6TR5FJ8GG197495 | Serving Laurel, & Washington, D.C.

^^^ Not sure how much of the price is fluff, but they seemed eager to sell them when I was there a month ago. I think you could land it at 50-51k (assuming you don't qualify for all the rebates). I don't know if that's a great price or not, honestly, but it seems like a good deal based on MSRP.

Lots of fluff, believe me.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
So I called a local dealership, there is a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab tradesman, MSRP of 40,465, down to 31,757 after their spiel about rebates and all that. For 1,500 extra they will put leather in for me. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it's 4x4 with some extras (ex: convenience, clearance lights, plow prep, steps) the yes it's not a bad price. I'd say get them to include the leather upgrade and sold. I'm sure some have done better on price and will chime in.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I called a local dealership, there is a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab tradesman, MSRP of 40,465, down to 31,757 after their spiel about rebates and all that. For 1,500 extra they will put leather in for me. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

If it's 4x4 with some extras (ex: convenience, clearance lights, plow prep, steps) the yes it's not a bad price. I'd say get them to include the leather upgrade and sold. I'm sure some have done better on price and will chime in.

That is just over 21.5% off MSRP, about 2% better than the majority of deals. Unless there is some extraordinary rebate or extra consume cash I doubt you could do much better.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As far as gears I want at least a 3.55, but I'd much rather go 4.10's. I don't know if Ram offers these gears, this is just my Ford knowledge coming into play lol. What are my options bearing that in mind? I'm not opposed to getting the truck I want and re-gearing, but I already know that's another 2k.
With all due respect, without driving the truck its pretty ignorant to be choosing gear ratios. Just cause you had a smaller rear end in your Ford doesn't mean that directly correlates to what Ram offers. Your final drive gear depends upon your engine and transmission gearing. A smaller rear axle ratio on your Ford could be necessary because your engine or transmission were putting out less power. The Ram 6.4 or the Cummins 6.7 put out a lot of power and the 6 speed transmission keeps the trucks in the right power band most of the time. With a lot more HP and better trans gearing, the rear axle ratio is higher (numerically lower) because their is plenty of power being delivered.

Moral of the story... drive the truck first before you start making absolute statements. My Tundra had a 4.30 rear end, but my Cummins "only" has a 3.42 rear end. As much as I loved my Tundra, my Cummins can pull WAY more than the Tundra ever could...

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
With all due respect, without driving the truck its pretty ignorant to be choosing gear ratios. Just cause you had a smaller rear end in your Ford doesn't mean that directly correlates to what Ram offers. Your final drive gear depends upon your engine and transmission gearing. A smaller rear axle ratio on your Ford could be necessary because your engine or transmission were putting out less power. The Ram 6.4 or the Cummins 6.7 put out a lot of power and the 6 speed transmission keeps the trucks in the right power band most of the time. With a lot more HP and better trans gearing, the rear axle ratio is higher (numerically lower) because their is plenty of power being delivered.

Moral of the story... drive the truck first before you start making absolute statements. My Tundra had a 4.30 rear end, but my Cummins "only" has a 3.42 rear end. As much as I loved my Tundra, my Cummins can pull WAY more than the Tundra ever could...

I made the mistake of gambling with gears on my current Ford which is why I am looking for a new truck. Of course I also need a bigger truck, but I know what I want / need and that's what I'm going to be looking for. I'm not going to be looking in the diesel market as there is too much that I would need to do to the engine for me to feel comfortable with it, but your right, a diesel puts out much more power so you don't need pully power with the gears. Sure I'm not against test driving a truck with less than 3.55's, but I know what I want. Do I need them? Probably not, I probably don't need the 3/4 ton truck either but I'm spending a good chunk of change so I'm getting what I want. When I bought my F-150 I quickly realized that I should have gotten a truck with the bigger engine or bigger rear axle, or bigger trans. I don't want to feel like that again, especially beings that I'm looking north of 40k for a truck (30k if I jump on this tradesman).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca