Need some info on these heavy duty Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just one mans opinion.... the power wagon is waste of time and money unless for some reason you REALLY want the lockers.

I mean you can get 4.10s in a normal truck, you can add a winch for 1k bucks. done.

99% of people are offroading their big 2500 crew cab trucks to the point where they need locking diffs front and rear with disconnecting sway bars.

Don't get me wrong, its cool as hell, but I just don't see any functionality in it for 99% of people in this truck market. Other than simply wanting it. So you could save yourself thousands of dollars by getting a 6.4 Mega Cab with 4.10s.

You can't get a Warn 15K winch and full rated mount for $1,000. More like $3,500 to $4,000. The Power Wagon is a bargain even if you don't use the lockers. You get a lift, offroad tires, forged wheels, upgraded suspension, winch, lockers, plus some. Another major benefit is you don't have to hunt through hundreds of dealerships looking for the single 4.10 equipped truck just to find out it is a base model Tradesman.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha this thread sure did go sideways pretty much from the first post. OP should of spent that 3hrs doing his own research and gathered 100% fact, instead of typing a 5000 word book of questions that just muddied the water with a bunch of useless opinion. probly just a tire kicker anyways with nothing better to do on a lunch break

for the other guy, I never heard the pw described mearly as a heavy duty raptor but that's highly inaccurate imo. any self respecting pw owner should be insulted by such a comment

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
just one mans opinion.... the power wagon is waste of time and money unless for some reason you REALLY want the lockers.

I mean you can get 4.10s in a normal truck, you can add a winch for 1k bucks. done.

99% of people are offroading their big 2500 crew cab trucks to the point where they need locking diffs front and rear with disconnecting sway bars.

Don't get me wrong, its cool as hell, but I just don't see any functionality in it for 99% of people in this truck market. Other than simply wanting it. So you could save yourself thousands of dollars by getting a 6.4 Mega Cab with 4.10s.

Let me know when your stock 2500 4x4 does Hell's Gate and get back to me on your nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9feGGhzRiNk

So are you planning on buying a POS Harbor Frieght winch for 1K?

The Power Wagon comes with 2 inches of factory lift over the stock 2500 4x4, so there is money saved.

I just installed 35's today, no rubbing. No trimming, no lifting. Get back to me on doing that without a level on a stock 2500 Diesel 4x4 on the stock wheels.

13092268_228271164220073_766444275_n.jpg

Locking diffs if you want them will cost a lot of money. Let's not forget, on the fly transfer case, a real one, not a toggle switch on the dash.

Also, I'm rated at 10K pounds pulling.

I'll grant you that most people don't actually wheel their vehicle.

for the other guy, I never heard the pw described mearly as a heavy duty raptor but that's highly inaccurate imo. any self respecting pw owner should be insulted by such a comment

:word: It's called an analogy and I think it works fine since both are setup for offroad in different categories, but to the average unlearned, it makes perfect sense to compare the two. The point was to dumb it down for someone who didn't know what a PW was. Most have heard of the Raptor because of Ford's marketing. I know few who know what a Power Wagon is.

Also, I earned my boasting. By actually wheeling my Power Wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESojiZub4A

13129409_236229080070816_1470513574_n.jpg

:flipthebird:

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that's the problem. people need to go get all learned up. three pages in, the OP is asking in the pw is a mega cab. the page before is asking if the pw has a solid axle in front. its hard to comprehend this nonsense. I have to question if that type of person should be allowed to own the almighty power wagon

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
Pardon me, but isn't that what a forum is for? Regularly the first post would take me 30 mins to ask / look up. I'm in and out all day hauling gravel so it comes down to time. Sorry if I ruined your day by asking questions that I could've looked up after a 16 hour day, my bad lol.

Some of the questions are opinionated, so if I'm already making a thread, why not ask the other questions I need answered? Honestly, most of the things people ask on any forum is stuff you can look up, without people asking these questions, the forum would be dead. Anyway, sorry to ruin your guys's days by asking questions you didn't need to respond to or look at, but I hope today goes better for yall.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Let me know when your stock 2500 4x4 does Hell's Gate and get back to me on your nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9feGGhzRiNk

So are you planning on buying a POS Harbor Frieght winch for 1K?

The Power Wagon comes with 2 inches of factory lift over the stock 2500 4x4, so there is money saved.

I just installed 35's today, no rubbing. No trimming, no lifting. Get back to me on doing that without a level on a stock 2500 Diesel 4x4 on the stock wheels.

13092268_228271164220073_766444275_n.jpg

Locking diffs if you want them will cost a lot of money. Let's not forget, on the fly transfer case, a real one, not a toggle switch on the dash.

Also, I'm rated at 10K pounds pulling.

I'll grant you that most people don't actually wheel their vehicle.

:word: It's called an analogy and I think it works fine since both are setup for offroad in different categories, but to the average unlearned, it makes perfect sense to compare the two. The point was to dumb it down for someone who didn't know what a PW was. Most have heard of the Raptor because of Ford's marketing. I know few who know what a Power Wagon is.

Also, I earned my boasting. By actually wheeling my Power Wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESojiZub4A

13129409_236229080070816_1470513574_n.jpg

:flipthebird:

While I did use power wagon wheels my standard 2500 fit 35's just fine. Any of the 2014 and later HD trucks can fit 35's.
There is pretty much no difference between your transfer case and the electronically shifted one except the electric motor could fail leaving you without 4wd, at the same time though the linkage on your shifter could get out of adjustment and do the same thing.
I think the world of power wagons, but if you don't off road often it is a pretty pointless package in an HD truck that you want for payload. The Laramie pw's get lower payload than most 1500's do.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ford has made ALOT of changes since the 6.0 and 5.4. They are leading the pack in technology. The 6.2 is no slouch by any means, 6.8 unstoppable and the 6.7 is a power house. We have a fleet of them both gas and diesel will not a single regret.

Ram 2500 has coils and 3500 has leaf springs. If your looking for payload get a 3500 as the 2500 leave room for improvement.

The three different engines power ratings are according to the transmissions. 6 speed manual, 6 speed, 6 speed aisin.

Stay away from the gas engines, mated to the wrong transmissions unless you want to do a 4.56 gear swap. If you want a used 545rfe 5 speed go with it over the 656rfe 6 speed.

The cheapest truck will be the Ram, but you get what you pay for.

Keep in mind your on a ram site asking about ram trucks, do you think you will hear much negitivity on ram?

Look up some real world test and reviews.

Pickuptrucks.com the special reports has head to head comparisions
Tfltrucks.com real world driving comparisions under load.
I sold my 2011 ford super duty 6.2 engine which was a decent truck.I can tell you my new 6.4 hemi ram 2500 would run circles around my old ford.Troll on:flipthebird:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I sold my 2011 ford super duty 6.2 engine which was a decent truck.I can tell you my new 6.4 hemi ram 2500 would run circles around my old ford.Troll on:flipthebird:

I am not sure I would a .23 second difference 0-60 and a .4 seconds difference in a quarter mile between a Ram 6.4L with 4.10s and a Ford 6.2L with 3.73 as running circles around it. If the gap was much bigger with the same or similar gear ratio then I would agree, but not with less than half a second difference and the slower vehicle having a the tallest rear gear ratio it comes with.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
I gotta say, the power wagon has the name lol. I thought it was a more heavy duty tow pig which is why I was so interested in them. I still like them because they look nice but I can throw a leveling / lift kit on any truck so I'm looking at just a bare bones Tradesman 2500 and putting leather in it. I personally don't like all the tech stuff, I like manual door locks, manual windows, just a standard radio and climate control, etc. Power windows and door are nice, but I don't need my radio to tell me the weather so that's where I draw the line haha.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I gotta say, the power wagon has the name lol. I thought it was a more heavy duty tow pig which is why I was so interested in them. I still like them because they look nice but I can throw a leveling / lift kit on any truck so I'm looking at just a bare bones Tradesman 2500 and putting leather in it. I personally don't like all the tech stuff, I like manual door locks, manual windows, just a standard radio and climate control, etc. Power windows and door are nice, but I don't need my radio to tell me the weather so that's where I draw the line haha.
Since I'm too lazy to scroll up to the exact post 31k for a 40k truck is an amazing deal if that is out the door. I paid 34k for mine otd and mine stickered for almost 41k.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not sure I would a .23 second difference 0-60 and a .4 seconds difference in a quarter mile between a Ram 6.4L with 4.10s and a Ford 6.2L with 3.73 as running circles around it. If the gap was much bigger with the same or similar gear ratio then I would agree, but not with less than half a second difference and the slower vehicle having a the tallest rear gear ratio it comes with.
Put a trailer on the back of a Ford f-250 and watch the ass end drop,put one behind a ram 2500 tell me what you think then.I guess you will need rear air bags on the ford might be a good answer.:happy107: I have pulled trailers with both and my choice is the Ram.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Put a trailer on the back of a Ford f-250 and watch the ass end drop,put one behind a ram 2500 tell me what you think then.I guess you will need rear air bags on the ford might be a good answer.:happy107: I have pulled trailers with both and my choice is the Ram.

Oh another towing trend, have you seen the 6.t tow Ike, it was outclassed by the 6.0. A half ton could have towed that load better than the 6.4.

Long live the horse!!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ford has made ALOT of changes since the 6.0 and 5.4. They are leading the pack in technology. The 6.2 is no slouch by any means, 6.8 unstoppable and the 6.7 is a power house. We have a fleet of them both gas and diesel will not a single regret.

Ram 2500 has coils and 3500 has leaf springs. If your looking for payload get a 3500 as the 2500 leave room for improvement.

Stay away from the gas engines, mated to the wrong transmissions unless you want to do a 4.56 gear swap. If you want a used 545rfe 5 speed go with it over the 656rfe 6 speed.

The 6.8 is an old outdated motor that is only available in the chassis cab, it really never made much power and had the same issues with spark plugs that plagued the 4.6 and 5.4 motors.

Where do the coils leave room for improvement? Ram and your God like Ford have almost identical payload numbers for their 250/2500's and 350/3500's.

While not the best gear ratios for the gas motors the 66rfe is an amazing improvement over the 545rfe or the 65rfe. They had a horrible 1st gear and incredibly weak overdrives that burned up on a regular basis if used for heavy towing. Also you proved how little you really know because the only difference between a 545rfe and a 65rfe is programming, otherwise they are identical.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

I will agree on the sag if you bought one with the standard suspension package which is what dealers stocked on their lots 95% of the time. It only had 3 leaf springs and squatted with just an ice chest in the back. The $160 "camper package" F250s are hard to find, but it gave the 3/4 ton the exact same 5 leaf rear suspension as an F350. Basically the truck was an F350, but with an F250 badge on it. Seeing how cheap the package is, I don't know why dealers didn't stock them as much.

Sort of like why I don't get why dealers don't stock more 4.10 geared 6.4L Rams. It is not that expensive of an option and you would figure that they would think more people would want them.

Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will agree on the sag if you bought one with the standard suspension package which is what dealers stocked on their lots 95% of the time. It only had 3 leaf springs and squatted with just an ice chest in the back. The $160 "camper package" F250s are hard to find, but it gave the 3/4 ton the exact same 5 leaf rear suspension as an F350. Basically the truck was an F350, but with an F250 badge on it. Seeing how cheap the package is, I don't know why dealers didn't stock them as much.

Sort of like why I don't get why dealers don't stock more 4.10 geared 6.4L Rams. It is not that expensive of an option and you would figure that they would think more people would want them.
I fully agree:favorites13:

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
I used to own a 6.8L V10 in my old '99 F-350 Lariat and if you do your spark plugs yourself, then you're fine. I own a '97 F-150 with the 4.6L as well and it's the same thing. The reason the 6.0's where so bad is because Ford decided a torque to yield head bolt was a great idea (as we know it wasn't). It comes down to Ford didn't like to torque down things and that leads to problems. Of course the 6.0 has other issues like the turbo's, but it just seams to me Ford is cutting too many corners and they want a ton of money for their truck.

Any more, Ford's heavy duty trucks are the same. If you look up the 2016 F-250 and F-350 towing cap, the 250 is rated 200 lbs more than the 350 for its smallest max tow. I don't understand what Ford's trying to do, but the F-250 and 350 are the exact same truck in my eyes.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Any more, Ford's heavy duty trucks are the same. If you look up the 2016 F-250 and F-350 towing cap, the 250 is rated 200 lbs more than the 350 for its smallest max tow. I don't understand what Ford's trying to do, but the F-250 and 350 are the exact same truck in my eyes.

The same goes for the Ram 2500 and 3500. The 2500 is rated to tow slighlty more than their similarly configured 3500 SRW counterpart.

Oh, and the 6.0L was built by Navistar(International). The issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L(also built by Navistar) was one of the main reason why Ford decided to make the 6.7L themselves ending their partnership with Navistar.

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I used to own a 6.8L V10 in my old '99 F-350 Lariat and if you do your spark plugs yourself, then you're fine. I own a '97 F-150 with the 4.6L as well and it's the same thing. The reason the 6.0's where so bad is because Ford decided a torque to yield head bolt was a great idea (as we know it wasn't). It comes down to Ford didn't like to torque down things and that leads to problems. Of course the 6.0 has other issues like the turbo's, but it just seams to me Ford is cutting too many corners and they want a ton of money for their truck.

I'm not sure the 6 leaker was entirely ford's fault. Those were contract purchased and built by International. It would be the same as if the CTD had problems, wouldn't be FCA's fault.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
The same goes for the Ram 2500 and 3500. The 2500 is rated to tow slighlty more than their similarly configured 3500 SRW counterpart.

Oh, and the 6.0L was built by Navistar(International). The issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L(also built by Navistar) was one of the main reason why Ford decided to make the 6.7L themselves ending their partnership with Navistar.

Navistar made them a pretty hefty 7.3L though lol. The 6.0 is a good engine if you get it bullet proof, but the 6.4L to me was just put out way before it should've been. I personally think if all the emissions stuff was never on it, it would be a great engine as what killed them was the regen and the DPF clogging.

I think Ford cut ties with them out of fear of loosing the brand name. There where multiple lawsuits because the new emergency vehicles that had the 6.4's where dieing left and right which alternatively made it so people couldn't get aid fast enough.