Need some info on these heavy duty Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Navistar made them a pretty hefty 7.3L though lol. The 6.0 is a good engine if you get it bullet proof, but the 6.4L to me was just put out way before it should've been. I personally think if all the emissions stuff was never on it, it would be a great engine as what killed them was the regen and the DPF clogging.

I think Ford cut ties with them out of fear of loosing the brand name. There where multiple lawsuits because the new emergency vehicles that had the 6.4's where dieing left and right which alternatively made it so people couldn't get aid fast enough.

The 7.3 for several years only made 225 hp out of the box. Later ones did better but it always underperformed for the cubes. That's why it was know for reliability. It literally couldn't hurt itself.

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
The 2002's made 275, then jump to a 2003 with the 6.0 and it made 50 hp more and it could hurt its self plenty. What it comes down to is design. The 7.3 was a pretty simple engine with less moving parts. Then we went to the 6.0 with more moving parts. For example in the turbo, and sure the turbo's did better but they broke a lot more often because there where more parts to improve power, but also more parts to break.

I don't really want to turn this into a why Ford did good 17 years ago thread though lol.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
funny you should mention 17yrs, didn't f250 use more or less the same doors from '99-'16 ? that's 17yrs if my 3rd grade math is correct

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
funny you should mention 17yrs, didn't f250 use more or less the same doors from '99-'16 ? that's 17yrs if my 3rd grade math is correct

I'm pretty sure they used the same cab and bed until 2010. Only thing that changed was the front end and maybe the tailgate

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Troll, troll. That hurts, I provide the fact and most accurate information do date on the real performance and get called a troll. If any of the "fan-boys" can prove the 6.4 operates otherwise post it... Until then speak the truth to presepective buyers.

Theres more to towing than trailer squat and sag.

Ultimate Three-Quarter-Ton HD Challenge: Eisenhower Pass - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] - The Fast Lane Truck

2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L HEMI and Gear Hold Feature [Ike Gauntlet Video] - The Fast Lane Truck

Attachments

• 6a00d83451b3c669e201a511e7ae86970c-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b3c669e201a511e7ae86970c-800wi.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Troll, troll. That hurts, I provide the fact and most accurate information do date on the real performance and get called a troll. If any of the "fan-boys" can prove the 6.4 operates otherwise post it... Until then speak the truth to presepective buyers.

Theres more to towing than trailer squat and sag.

Ultimate Three-Quarter-Ton HD Challenge: Eisenhower Pass - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] - The Fast Lane Truck

2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L HEMI and Gear Hold Feature [Ike Gauntlet Video] - The Fast Lane Truck
Come back with some new updated material Ford fan boy.:homoswitch:

OP
OP
M

manuellabour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not yet applicable
Engine
Not yet applicable
When it comes to a truck, I don't care how fast it is, it's a truck lol. When towing a trailer, slow and steady wins the race, not going 100 mph down the interstate. As long as the vehicle can get up to the speed limit, that's all I need. If I needed speed I'd buy a GT350 or something along those lines.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
All this "which is best in class" talk is futile. If you're that close to the cutoff with your needs go up a class and like magic all of the big 3 have the capacities you'd need :happy107:

Side note: so the ram lost by 3 minutes on the ike test, big deal. If you're going to be 3 minutes late because you couldn't go fast enough you were going to be late anyway lol. Ya'll have spent way more than 3 minutes debating all these test results and charts anyway so I really don't see what the big deal is. I'm personally going to buy a truck based on capacity, price, configuration and features over how well it does in the ike test every time.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
When it comes to a truck, I don't care how fast it is, it's a truck lol. When towing a trailer, slow and steady wins the race, not going 100 mph down the interstate. As long as the vehicle can get up to the speed limit, that's all I need. If I needed speed I'd buy a GT350 or something along those lines.

Those trucks were not going nowhere near 100 mph. If you do the math of their times on the 7.2 mile run. The Ford's average speed was 45 mph, the GM averaged 43 mph, and the Ram's average speed was 36 mph with the speed limit on that stretch of road being 60-65 mph. The only reason why the Ram had such a slower speed is because the truck's limp mode kicked in and if it weren't for that then it probably would have had a much higher average speed. However, the limp mode is a part of its design so you have to take it into account. Also, the hill they did that test on is relatively flat at the beginning and starts getting steep about 1/5 of the way up which is why the Ram had the fasted starting speed before the limp mode kicked in and it started backing down to 30 mph.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The one thing about that PUTC test is that I wish they would have had the 5.7L 2500 in there. It probably would have done better than the GM, and would have probably pulled a quicker time up the Ike than the 6.4L pulling 90% of it's rated weight being that it doesn't seem to have this limp mode like the 6.4L does. Well it may have it, but it hasn't been reported by any 5.7L 2500 owners from what I have seen.