New and need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capt_lunker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. This has probably been asked before but......
I currently own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500, crew cab, 4x4 with a 5.3 and 3:42 gears. I tow usually at least once or twice a week, if not more. I tow a 7x16 Stealth enclosed trailer with a V nose and slant top. It all aluminum and only weighs 1800 pounds and I only get 11 mpg towing it empty and 8.5 mpg with 2 atv's in it. I normally get 21 on the highway empty. A buddy of mine tows about the same weight with his Dodge 1500 and gets much better towing mileage than I get. So I'm thinking of trading to a Ram 1500. Looking for something slightly used......2013-2014. Can't decide between a Larmie and a Sport. What are the differences besides chrome grill and bumpers? Also, how can I tell by the vin what the gear ratio is and what do you guys recommend??
Thanks in advance

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Look for the 5.7 with the 8sp and 3:92 gears.
And I think you are correct the Larime and Sport are just different options for thing like chrome no chrome type of things, go to Rams website and I am sure it would all be spelled out there.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Plop the VIN into an online decoder (just search Ram VIN decoder- I would post a link but my phone is a sketch-case) and it will give you a list of standard equipment then the optional equipment. If you don't see a different axle ratio listed in optional, then you have the standard which I *believe* was 3.21.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Laramie package is basically "top of the line" with all the options. Sport is going to be the next step down, basically. Cooled seats I believe are standard in a Laramie, option on the Sport. Leather is slightly different, and a few other things. There's more chrome on the Laramie, the Sport will have the color matched bumpers, mirror, door handles.

I agree with above, get the 8 spd transmission with 3.92 gears. It will be a lot better for your towing requirements.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
One other difference I have found in the Sport vs. Laramie is payload. If that's a consideration- Sports are usually higher.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your looking @ a spacific vehicle 13-14 on a lot , the bar code sticker will probably be still be on the rear axle , drivers side on the bottom between the differential and the hub. Can't remember exactly but it will have a several digit number on the sticker and within that number will be ....321 , 355 , 392 , 410 , 456 you get the idea . I agree with the above 3.92 is probably the best all around gears.
To my knowledge the 8 speed xsmn only comes available in 3.21 & 3.92 .

Hope this helps !

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Double check your math and reasoning if you want to trade only for so called better mpg. You may not get better mpg at all, and then you'll waste lots of money and get an unknown truck that may have all sorts of issues.

I get 18 mpg on freeway empty with my camper, 12 mpg city, 1500 2013 5.9 hemi 4x4, 8 sp . It all depends how you drive and hills or not...

Even in your best case, you'll win 2-3 Mpg, waste thousands on trade in, and end up with a used unknown truck that you have no idea was maintained or not or abused. Look through the forum on all the lifters and manifold bolt issues that hemi engines are having, and that's from guys who love their trucks, bought it new, and took good care of them. And you want to gamble with buying a used one while having a perfectly good new chevy truck? My advice just keep your chevy and maybe try to change gears for better fuel economy or some other option if available... Or drive slower if you're so concerned about saving money on gas.

Good luck

Poram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you find a Ram truck get the vin and look up the equipment ------------>

Try this link, just put your VIN number at the end of the link and it should list everything about your truck.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

Oh yeah use caps for the letters in the VIN

The link has worked for my old 2004 2500 Cummins diesel and as well for my new 2016 1500. Unfortunately I don't know how many years it will go back.

Bill

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Check out the Tow Guide, I would go 3.92 or higher and 5.7 or higher for sure.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thumbs up to Kap1. Well said.

I've always been a GM guy. I just got a 2015 Ram Sport after a 2 year stint in a 2014 Subaru WRX, 2006 Silverado prior to that.

capt_lunker You've got a good truck now, if anything I'd say your mileage will decrease with a 5.7 HEMI. I got 14mpg in my 4.8L V8 2006 Silverado, thats why I got rid of that and got the WRX. I was getting 21 MPGs in the rice rocket. I'm almost getting 15 MPG in city traffic (mostly sitting) in my new Ram Sport 5.7 HEMI.

If MPGs are your driving factor, and you're only towing 1800 lbs, maybe scrap the full size truck idea completely and consider a GM Colorado/Canyon V6 or 2.8L Turbo Diesel? I was looking at those, but the deisel option is pricey (truck reviews resulting in ~35 MPG), and a new fully loaded compact GM truck reaches the low end full size truck price range. I went with a Ram because I wanted all of the sexy bells and whistles with the remote entry, leather, park assist, uconnect, etc. and need the full size for kids car seats. I don't tow anything now, but if I do in the future, I have the 8 speed (which you can only get with the 6.2L in GM) and the torque.

Just my $0.02

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
are you really towing the atv's around often enough that a few mpgs is worth trading for a different truck? if you have other reasons or simply like the ram better thats fine, but if your only reason is mileage, i would say keep your chevy. the money youll save keeping your truck will buy you a lot of fuel.