New AT tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyShadow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport (Quad Cab)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya. Think that has anything to do with it feeling sluggish?

I wouldn't be surprised if it does. But I'm thinking its the weight or grip of the tire. Because even coasting down steep hills, it doesn't seem to roll freely. Definitely seems like there is a lot of rolling resistance.

TXMarine1

Reaction score
Lincoln, NE (originally from China Spring, TX)
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7

Man that is a nice pickem up truck. Do you have air ride suspension? The best has milage I've ever gotten with this truck was 569 miles on a tank of gas from Waco, TX to Minneapolis, KS. If we didn't hit a north wind in Wichita, KS we would have gotten 600 miles.

Semper fi20190310_140145.jpg 20190310_140145.jpg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'll pull the trigger on Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs this summer...great reviews from users and magazines alike. Pricey? Oh, yeah, but a personal injury lawyer friend of mine (yep, you need one, too) told me good tires are everything. He has seen what bad tires can do to a car and the folks inside it.

TXCOMT

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I think I'll pull the trigger on Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs this summer...great reviews from users and magazines alike. Pricey? Oh, yeah, but a personal injury lawyer friend of mine (yep, you need one, too) told me good tires are everything. He has seen what bad tires can do to a car and the folks inside it.

TXCOMT
Thing is, with all the technology packed into today's vehicles the only thing connecting all that fancy **** to the road is the 4 tires you put on it.....so why cheap out on the one thing that you rely on most...... doesn't have to be any one brand in particular or the best of the best, but buy something that a company will stand behind.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thing is, with all the technology packed into today's vehicles the only thing connecting all that fancy **** to the road is the 4 tires you put on it.....so why cheap out on the one thing that you rely on most...... doesn't have to be any one brand in particular or the best of the best, but buy something that a company will stand behind.

True! It's like when shooters buy cheap scopes or photographers buy cheap lenses...why do that?

TXCOMT

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
True! It's like when shooters buy cheap scopes or photographers buy cheap lenses...why do that?

TXCOMT
Or like when guys in my trade buy Wal-Mart boots or cheap gloves....some times when you depend on something you just shouldn't cheap out.

OP
OP
J

JROOT327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TXCOMT

I'm leaning towards these too now. Any idea how often they do the rebates? Cooper has one that goes to the end of the month, but I'd like to wait a bit to throw down the money for the XLTs.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar

I agree.
I myself don't cheap out on tires, brakes/rotors, headlights and engine oil.
Grandpappy always said that you usually get what you pay for.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I agree.
I myself don't cheap out on tires, brakes/rotors, headlights and engine oil.
Grandpappy always said that you usually get what you pay for.
You do, to an extent. After a certain price point I believe you pay for a name, example...nitto and toyo vs cooper and general....ive run all 4 companies and guess what....all 16 tires were black, round and went *** *** *** down the road. 2 were a good bit more than the other 2 companies and for what....branding.....buy smart.....not cheap

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar

TXCOMT

Ha!!! So true! I used to sell guns at a wholesale level and seen so many dealers buy a $2K Weatherby 340 Mag. rifle and a $100 Trashco scope to top it. Unreal!!!

drozek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do, to an extent. After a certain price point I believe you pay for a name, example...nitto and toyo vs cooper and general....ive run all 4 companies and guess what....all 16 tires were black, round and went *** *** *** down the road. 2 were a good bit more than the other 2 companies and for what....branding.....buy smart.....not cheap

so what tires would you recommend?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
so what tires would you recommend?
Well, what are you looking to accomplish and what's your budget. Looking for an agressive look but drive on road all the time or do you need something that performs offroad and willing to compromise on road?

It's a broad spectrum subject that is only narrowed down on a case to case basis. What I need vs you could be completely different.

drozek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, what are you looking to accomplish and what's your budget. Looking for an agressive look but drive on road all the time or do you need something that performs offroad and willing to compromise on road?

It's a broad spectrum subject that is only narrowed down on a case to case basis. What I need vs you could be completely different.

Sorry def should have elaborated more. Almost no off roading, like gravel roads nothing major, I drive mainly highways to work and back. Pulling a trailer with 3 or 4 bikes to the race track. Budget, money isn't an issue for the correct time that will last me. I am at 60k right now and the OEM tires slip on any wet conditions in chicago. I have a second set of wheels that I will use for winter tires.

ImaginThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran the original Cooper AT3 on my old 99 F150, great tire for wet traction and the snow up in the mountains. My current 14 Ram came with some GY Duratracs on the last half of their life treadwise. They did good in all the lowland snow we had this year, and wet traction has been ok, they are a notch below which may be in part to the treadwear.

One thing I will miss in the old size for my F150 of 265 70 17 was the ability to get the C Load Range / 6 Ply tire. Don't know why this is not the standard load for 1/2 ton pickups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr