New Oil, totally better sounding truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles was on the oil ?
What oil type was in it ?
How many miles on the truck ?
What year truck ?
What engine in truck ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
^^^^^ What he said ^^^^

Ram Year:
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine:
5.7 L Hemi is in his avatar info

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't really know what this thread is about, but I've bought a fair number of old beaters in my lifetime and it is kind of odd when just the addition of fresh clean quality lubricant changes the sound of the engine. Experienced that with a Tercel in the 90s, basically cut the volume of the engine in half in the first three seconds of starting the engine. Nothing special about the oil either just the difference between old and contaminated and .. well who even knows how long it had been in there vs. new and clean.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Very simple explanation, it's like when you get done a tough day at work and you come home a have a few cold beers. You sound different and you let out a few rumbles out your tailpipe.
:cheers:

All of a sudden I feel like having a cold one........

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Switched to Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic today from whatever blend the dealer uses. WOW! My truck has this cool deep gutteral sound, its awesome.

Thought I would mention it.

I'm glad it quieted down for you early, what kind of oil filter did you put on, there is a variety on here that has worked well, go the oil filter thread for more info.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Switched to Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic today from whatever blend the dealer uses. WOW! My truck has this cool deep gutteral sound, its awesome.

Maybe they put in a different weigh oil.

Can you check past and current paperwork?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

When ever you put new oil in, the plastic type substance called viscosity index improvers chains are all intact... LINK

from link..

One of the major issues with the viscosity index improver additives is that they are very susceptible to mechanical shearing. For example, imagine a piece of spaghetti moving with the oil throughout an engine or in a gearbox. There are areas in the engine or gearbox that have very tight clearances and will act much like a pair of scissors cutting the spaghetti noodle (viscosity index improver molecule) into smaller pieces. Over time this greatly reduces the ability of these molecules to add to the viscosity of the fluid.

There is an absolute scientific reason why new oil sounds quieter then used oil, it is branch chained lubrication. Now, the best oil formulas have a way to mitigate this degradation when these vii's break down with anti wear and extreme pressure additives and base oils that also can lubricate better then others, but most of the oils used today off the shelf are at their smoothest when the viis are in tact.

Many guys in the hemi tick thread will say their oil choice was great for 500 miles and then the tick came back, well there ya go.

The holy grail of oil is a self healing vii, they have been trying forever to achieve this. When and if they ever do, it will be a game changer.

Last edited:

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I got excited when I saw this thread title pop up. I switched from Valvoline full synthetic to PP awhile back and my engine has actually gotten louder. No hemi tick, just a lot of valve train and clattering.

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you shut the hood it resets the pcm exhaust baud rate.... js

I only use PUP too. 5 qts of 5w20 and 2 of 10w30 then a can of moly once that lifter starts ticking again in about 5k miles.

Desertdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay guys, I'm going to put the Red Line with a Wix filter to test. My '13 Laramie has just short of 100k miles. I have not owned since new, and Dodge dealer in Az. said it's "just the Hemi tick". I love this truck, and am willing to pay 3x for better oil, go 1/2 the recommended oil change distance, and do it myself if it makes the difference. Stay tuned....

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been using the same Penzoil Platinum with no complaints. But I'm only sitting at 34,000 and it's a 6.2.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI

I have used the pp or pup with either a wix or mobil 1 full synthetic filter since day 1. Truck runs smooth as new. 8yrs no probs!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay guys, I'm going to put the Red Line with a Wix filter to test. My '13 Laramie has just short of 100k miles. I have not owned since new, and Dodge dealer in Az. said it's "just the Hemi tick". I love this truck, and am willing to pay 3x for better oil, go 1/2 the recommended oil change distance, and do it myself if it makes the difference. Stay tuned....

make sure wix XP, has to be XP.

So there is good news, Redline is a long interval oil because of high tbn and it simply does not shear, the two things that is the reason to change your oil. Might I suggest a spun microglass filter, read the filter thread in my sig, royal purple, amsoil ea, wix xp, fram ultra, and there is a purolater option if those don't work for you, see jb1 member in filter thread.

So a 10k mile interval is pretty safe with redline, you may opt for a used oil analysis on the second run with tbn if it works for you, if not then never mind. You can go as high as 18k miles, the uoa would back that up as it reads base number, blackstone will recommend an interval based in science. It depends on how engines is running, and how the miles are, mostly city miles I would do no more than 10k miles and verify with uoa, if you have a lot of freeway miles, oil will last longer.

Kind of important, do me a favor and let me know how it sounds exactly after you change the oil, was there any change at all? If there was literally no change, chances are it's exhaust bolts, you need to take a better look that them.

If you haven't bought it yet, price check through Nick at got exhaust, it's about 12 bucks a qrt shipped to your door with him. Also, for sure get 5w30 with a truck with that mileage. There is a small risk with high mileage oil and redline, sometimes it cleans away junk and it gets louder before it gets better. The "film" needs to repopulate, this has happened to three trucks over the years, everyone over 75k miles. Hit or miss if this happens, but the film can still repopulate.

Now, very important many trucks it takes 500 to 1500 miles or more to go silent, this is the science of the formula. Sometimes, it goes quiet right away, sometimes not. The first time I used it I thought I wasted good money, 500 miles later it was silent. Don't be discouraged and be patient, talk to guys in syn thread, most of us had the same result. Ask questions if you have any in syn thread, many of the guys who killed their ticks stuck around there.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Oil thread.... lol.

I’ve been using that since day one. I don’t have a reference to compare to but my truck sounds nice too [emoji2369]

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Desertdawg can you upload a vid of your tick bud? If so that would be great. I use webcam and youtube, pretty easy even for an old fool like me. Warm Idle video under engine makes the best audio.