New wire harness destroyed my engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flacko Joyde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To start I have a 2013 Ram 1500 (3.6)

I was getting a bad misfire on cylinders 3rd & 5th. I went ahead and replaced the ignition coil for all 6 cylinders as well as the spark plugs. The misfires continued and it was determined that the problem was the wiring harness. I took it to a Dodge dealership and had them do the work. Once I received the truck back, it had loss power, meaning it wouldnt pass 60 MPH and the RPMs stayed at 3k. I should also mention that pressing the pedal to the floor did nothing and it would pick up speed slow. Before getting the wire harness replaced the truck would jerk (common sign of a misfire) but it would still accelerate and go pass 60. My service advisor said the right camshaft and phasers needed replacement. My question is or rather my concern is; why would the truck have this issue when it didn't had it when I took it to get the harness replaced.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
May have been the cause of your misfire in the first place. Bad harness may have caused it and also prevented the ecm from getting the signal to put it in limp mode to protect the engine. Really depends on what wires were damaged in the harness and if voltage was jumping across to wires that shouldn't be energized frying electronic components.

OP
OP
F

Flacko Joyde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot to mention the PCM was also replaced. But how can I take the truck out of "limp mode"

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It'll stay in limp mode until the problem is fixed. You can clear the codes and it may stay out of limp mode for a while, but if it senses an error large enough it'll go back into limp mode to protect the drivetrain.

OP
OP
F

Flacko Joyde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The original problem was the misfire and the pcm and harness was supposed to fix that. What I dont understand is why the truck would lose power.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Original misfire was probably an engine issue to begin with and the dealer just threw a harness on to attempt to solve the issue.

OP
OP
F

Flacko Joyde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The harness was installed because the was no electrical current going to the 3rd and 5th coil boot. The truck was working fine besides the misfire. After the new harness the car did not pass 60.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
The harness was installed because the was no electrical current going to the 3rd and 5th coil boot. The truck was working fine besides the misfire. After the new harness the car did not pass 60.

You probably had multiple problems. Now that the harness is fixed the other problem is more prevalent. Sometimes one problem can allow the second to work half ass. This can be seen in other systems other than automobiles. I was a electrical contractor. Took many years to learn how one problem affect things on the opposite end of the house. My clients love me because of my experience catching hidden problems that they would never think would be related. Or explaining how their current problems may impact other systems in their commercial property and giving them the choice to fix future problems before they are affected.

It seems to me that you are putting blame on the dealer for this "new" problem. It may be their fault but the probability is higher that there are more problems.

I used to always buy used cars with higher mileage and spend the time and money to replace worn out parts. What I've learned is, once a new part is replaced it will exponentially increase wear on the existing old parts or it will magnify the bad condition of the old existing parts. This is especially true in suspension components. Unless you replace everything and even if you do it will never be as great as new.

OP
OP
F

Flacko Joyde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. Not really putting the blame on the dealership just wanted to know why this would happen. But I hear what you're saying.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember right the 12 and maybe 13 3.6's had some head issues that caused FCA to extend the warranty. Not sure what it was all about but you might want to check into it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yeah, I am leaning on heads also. Number 3 and 5 are on the same side. Should be a 10 year 150K mile warranty extension on the heads. There should be a TSB out there for them to check and determine whether it is the head or not.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I am leaning on heads also. Number 3 and 5 are on the same side. Should be a 10 year 150K mile warranty extension on the heads. There should be a TSB out there for them to check and determine whether it is the head or not.
Just my thinking but unless you go in armed with the info on extended warranty the dealer will never tell you about it. Just like the tsb's, unless you tell them where to look they don't know. I'm not saying all dealers are like that but some deffinately are.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just my thinking but unless you go in armed with the info on extended warranty the dealer will never tell you about it. Just like the tsb's, unless you tell them where to look they don't know. I'm not saying all dealers are like that but some deffinately are.

No doubt but the OP needs to do that leg work. I just remember from my Wrangle JK days with the same engine, getting the warranty extension in the mail.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pentastar left cylinder head extended warranty to 10yr 150,000 miles due to cracking issue.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar left cylinder head extended warranty to 10yr 150,000 miles due to cracking issue.

First it’s not a cracking issue. It’s a valve stem issue in the head along with the valve seats. And the left cylinder head is cylinders 2 , 4 and 6. His issue is on the opposite side Wich isn’t involved in that batch of cylinder heads that got an extension on the warranty.

Whoever is working on his truck is truly mis-diagnosing.

The ASD relay provides power to all the ignition coils and injectors and then the PCM provides the ground to fire the coil/cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First it’s not a cracking issue. It’s a valve stem issue in the head along with the valve seats. And the left cylinder head is cylinders 2 , 4 and 6. His issue is on the opposite side Wich isn’t involved in that batch of cylinder heads that got an extension on the warranty.

Whoever is working on his truck is truly mis-diagnosing.

The ASD relay provides power to all the ignition coils and injectors and then the PCM provides the ground to fire the coil/cylinder.

Wasn't saying that was the problem. One of the members above mentioned the 10 year 150,000 mile extended warranty on V6 heads. As I read from various sources the LH head on 11-13 pentastar are prone to cracking on the LH head and rather than replace them all they extended the warranty on them. Might have expanded the recall, but it my my understanding that was the problem that prompted the extended cylinder head warranty.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't saying that was the problem. One of the members above mentioned the 10 year 150,000 mile extended warranty on V6 heads. As I read from various sources the LH head on 11-13 pentastar are prone to cracking on the LH head and rather than replace them all they extended the warranty on them. Might have expanded the recall, but it my my understanding that was the problem that prompted the extended cylinder head warranty.

But what I’m telling you, is that the 11-13 left head is not the issue you’re having. The left cylinder is bank 2 Wich has cylinders 2,4,6. And again, it was NOT for cracking. It’s a valve issue, NOT a cracking issue.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I was getting at was that FCA had extended the warranty on the penstar, something to do with the heads. Yes it was the left head or as it was on my notification the front head, had a 12 grand caravan. Original owners would have been the only ones notified, I'm assuming that's why I kept getting offers to trade the 12 back in for a newer model. That way if something went belly up they could charge an unknowing customer for repairs. Don't under any circumstances take you're vehicle to dealer and say I don't know, it just won't run. Go there with the knowledge of what issues are prevalent with that engine. Recalls, extended warrantys, tsb's can all be found if you just want to look for them.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
jotin is right. Found the original service bulletin and it only covers the left head. Also, the RAM was not even listed on it as a applicable model covered.

Still think it is a similar head issue, just on the right side. Sucks for the OP if this is not covered under any warranty as I think FCA really screwed the pooch on these early Pentastar engines and their head issues.

Magona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you still need the engine I got one for sale I’m located in Illinois