NightMares 01 Sport Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
My guess would be water that finally burned out. I had an issue before with some rain getting in through my hood scoop into my cylinder 1 and making my truck miss hard. No idea how it could have gotten in there but I suggest pulling the plug and cleaning it.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went through everything yesterday just to make sure it's all working correctly. Plugs are still good, replaced the IAC to ensure everything is working correctly, and the truck's running great.

Hopefully will find the time to get the spacers off the truck this week, as on New Years we're going on a snow trip with a local off road club. Kiddos will get to do some sledding for the first time, and then we'll do some snow wheeling afterwords. Wish I could say I'm going to push the limits of my truck, but not going to take the risk of doing anything crazy with my pregnant wife and little kids in the truck.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Went through everything yesterday just to make sure it's all working correctly. Plugs are still good, replaced the IAC to ensure everything is working correctly, and the truck's running great.

Hopefully will find the time to get the spacers off the truck this week, as on New Years we're going on a snow trip with a local off road club. Kiddos will get to do some sledding for the first time, and then we'll do some snow wheeling afterwords. Wish I could say I'm going to push the limits of my truck, but not going to take the risk of doing anything crazy with my pregnant wife and little kids in the truck.

Aww come on what's the matter!? Scaring the wife is half the fun. Plus you would probably get to see your newborn already. Lol jk jk...sounds fun though. My truck has never seen snow.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha! I finally found the truck from the flex thread!!! Very nice man!

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aww come on what's the matter!? Scaring the wife is half the fun. Plus you would probably get to see your newborn already. Lol jk jk...sounds fun though. My truck has never seen snow.

Haha where we're going is a couple hours from the closest hospital and set pretty deep in the mountains, meaning lots of snow driving to get back to a hospital a couple hours away as it is. I'll take it easy ha.

Haha! I finally found the truck from the flex thread!!! Very nice man!

Thanks man! It's still coming along.

Well, I'm diving into the next biggest aspect of this truck. Axles.

This Friday with my paycheck I will officially be paid off from everything I've recently done, so why not just rack it back up again, right?

Ordered today:
Front:
Nitro Gear & Axle (D44-488-NG) 4.88 Ring & Pinion
Yukon (21177) Front Inner Left Axle Shaft
Yukon (21155) Front Inner Right Axle Shaft
Yukon (21685) Front Outer Axle Stub
Yukon (14023) Master Overhaul w/Timken Bearings
ARB (RD116) Air Locker 3.92 Up
ARB (170112) Diff Breather Kit
ARB (CKMA12) High Performance Compressor

Rear:
Nitro Gear & Axle (C9.25-488-NG) 4.88 Ring & Pinion
Yukon (14135) Master Overhaul w/Timken Bearings
Yukon (21032) Alloy Rear Axle Shafts
Yukon (26019) Dura Grip Limited Slip

And that's it aside from random axle seals I'll pickup locally. Should see it all next week, then having a co-worker help me out with the install.

I'm soooo fawking excited with this.

Edit: Updated 12/30 with part number and part updates

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gearing makes so much of a difference. You definitely won't regret it. I went 4.56s over the summer and only sitting on 33s the truck just runs better. The transmission doesn't struggle as much, I got my bottom end back, overall one of my favorite mods by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gearing makes so much of a difference. You definitely won't regret it. I went 4.56s over the summer and only sitting on 33s the truck just runs better. The transmission doesn't struggle as much, I got my bottom end back, overall one of my favorite mods by far.

I can't wait to get this all done right now.

I called in this morning and talked to Yukon some more. I went ahead and cancelled the truetrac and went with the Yukon LSD.

I'm also considering now thanks to Merc of calling in and changing in from 4.56 to 4.88 gears.

Update: Changed the gears to 4.88's. Should be here either Thursday or Monday of next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after a conversation yesterday on another thread, I've decided to skip out on quite a few different things suspension wise. After doing a ton of research last night, I've got my game plan set, along with a few changes in other aspects of the build.

First, going to save a ton of money by choosing not to use DOR's 4 link kit. Instead, I'm going to go a different route.

Front suspension, I'm going to contact DOR and see if I can just order in the lower long arms and upper short arms and replace the BDS arms so I can have some more adjustment and be able to shift the axle forward more than it is. The BDS arms are non adjustable, so where it sits is where it stays.

Rear suspension, I'm going to only order in the BDS frame brackets. From there, I'll order in another pair of lower long arms from DOR, then weld on some DOM tubing and turn the single arms into Y links. With that, I'll be able to stretch the rear if needed, and the adjustability will allow me to get my pinion angle correct. I'll use some more DOM and make a track bar, build a brace between the frame rails and mount it all up. On the top of the axle in the rear I will be doing a truss kit, so I'll just tie into that for both the track bar mount and coilover mounts.

Front I'll be using the Synergy coilover conversion brackets, rear I'll be cutting two sections out of the bottom of the bed and bringing the coilovers up into there, prerunner style, and finish everything off with some Fox 2.5 coilovers. With it being setup for rocks and trails, I have no need or use for remote reservoirs, so just the Factory 2.5 Coilover is what I'll be getting. Fox is currently closed for these holidays, I talked to my rep at BDS and he has his contact with Fox he'll get me in touch with so I can explain what I'm doing, and from there get part numbers and prices for the 4 coilovers and get this project rolling probably come tax season.

Also decided to go against the Tiregate. Instead, I'm going to go with TAG bumper (Tactical Armor Group) and give their rear bumper and tire carrier a shot. I'll be ordering it in bare steel so I can get it color matched to the truck, options will include: Multicarrier system, bare metal, shackle mounts, jack mount, and cb antenna mount.

Instead of Jerry cans, I'm going to go with the Titan Tanks "Trail Trekker" that will mount behind the spare tire, and have a syphon system to refuel with, thus why I'm not doing the jerry can mounts I'm planning on not doing the FabFours headache rack now, instead I'm thinking of either a polycarbonate or aluminum rollup tonneau cover, like the RetraxOne. Inside the bed I'll have my Undercover Swing Case and planning on doing the Smittybilt Adventure Box towards the front of the bed. Without the headache rack, I feel it might look weird with the CB antenna just chilling, so that's why I'm ordering the tire carrier with the cb mount.

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't wait to get this all done right now.

I called in this morning and talked to Yukon some more. I went ahead and cancelled the truetrac and went with the Yukon LSD.

I'm also considering now thanks to Merc of calling in and changing in from 4.56 to 4.88 gears.

Update: Changed the gears to 4.88's. Should be here either Thursday or Monday of next week.

Be careful, you may decide against going with 37s after driving 35s with 4.88s lol. I know bbartow runs that set up and he doesn't complain too much.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful, you may decide against going with 37s after driving 35s with 4.88s lol. I know bbartow runs that set up and he doesn't complain too much.

I can always go 5.13 when I do the 60's with 37's. I won't be going to 37's until these items below are checked off:

Rear axle linked
Coilovers front & rear
7" of lift
Dana 60's
Current 35's are bald

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no gears or locker. I'm impatient.

Just sent off a bunch of drafts to our decal guy. Redoing some designs and a few updates.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no gears or locker. I'm impatient.

Just sent off a bunch of drafts to our decal guy. Redoing some designs and a few updates.

Post some up when you get an answer. Curious to see what you're thinking about.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll update once I have them all installed. Just gave the go ahead after he tweaked them around a little bit, will be picking them up tonight after work. Nothing crazy, just little touches at this point. Dinking around with designs right now for when I get ready to do a full respray.

Once I get my hood ordered and grille modifications designed and done, I plan on repainting the entire truck at that point. I'll reorder all the decals back in, lay down the base coat on the truck, install all the decals, then clear over everything to prevent fading or flaking on everything.

Still toying with color ideas, although I'll probably end up just respraying PR4 on the truck. If not, then here's kinda what I'm thinking.

Current

CURRENT_zpspxe9ybmh.jpg

Blue

BLUE_zps1dlprsub.jpg

Gun Metal

DARK%20GRAY_zpstvg6nuif.jpg

Silver

SILVER_zpsx4pvhgcd.jpg

Copper

COPPER_zpsixwlreyl.jpg

Lime

LIME_zpsuk7ramiv.jpg

And for chitsngiggles I made one Plum Crazy. Actually looks cool, but I'll never do it.

PLUM_zps2ijucqsn.jpg

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
I don't know, that blue is sexy. Lol

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually after talking to the wife some more about everything, I think we've decided to go diesel for my next truck. I'm thinking possibly another 2nd gen sport, at which with that truck I'll turn into my pavement princess. My current truck will get resprayed the current color.

Going diesel for the main reason of towing. When I get another pickup, my current truck is going to become pretty heavily built, and something that I might not entirely trust on the interstate traveling down to the Rubicon trail, Moab, and other places I plan to go. A Hemi will have the power I want, but ultimately it might be time for me to step up and put my big boy pants on and actually get into a diesel. I'm going to do the same thing we were talking about last week, and that's hold off on doing anything else with my truck BIG for the moment, and come this summer time I'll get it all paid off (or possibly within the next couple months) and start shopping for a DD.

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meh forget the diesel for now. I found my next project aspect of my truck.

www.leatherseats.com

seats_zpsq9ylneka.jpg

Additional for headliner and door panels. Also considering wrapping the dash in it as well.

headliner%20amp%20door%20panels_zpsn1giiwkb.jpg

Also, gears and locker/lsd showed up. However, I'm contemplating only doing the rear right now, returning the ARB, and waiting another 60 days or so for G2 to come out with their CORE locker.

G2 AXLE & GEAR | HOME

Pneumatic like the ARB, but it has a mechanical override that's cable actuated like an ox-locker in case the compressor or lines fail for any reason. Also includes a front diff cover, and G2 just so happens to make a cover for the rear 9.25 which means I can finally have a nice set of matching diff covers ha.

I'll toy with the idea. I don't forsee me going wheeling where I want to go due to it being closed for the winter season, which gives me the time to wait for the G2. However, at the same time, I'd really like to have 4 wheel drive, and I really want to get regeared to save my transmission before it starts to be problematic. I'll ponder the idea over the weekend and decide what to do sometime next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 updates for the day.

First off, I made up my decision on the locker ordeal. I'm going with the CORE locker. I talked to my rep with Yukon and I'm going to return the 4.88 R&P and exchange them for 4.88 thick cut gears. This way I can use the open carrier and regear the truck for the time being. I'm going to order in the G2 Brute series diff cover for the rear and have it ship with the thick cut gears, and when the CORE locker finally gets released I'll order it in for 3.73 down so it works with the gears I already have. The only added expense I will have is a new minimal install kit which is around 50 bucks or so. The locker comes with its own diff cover that matches the Brute line, so it'll all tie together.

Brute cover

g2_axle_gear_brute_differential_covers_hero.jpg

CORE cover

g2-core-44-center-section-with-cover.jpg

So that settles that, now on for update numero dos.

I am pissed. Somewhere within the past little bit on one of the last recoveries (can't remember which one) I noticed my steering start to get a little funky. Seemed like it was catching at times, other times it felt fine. I mostly noticed when making left turns. I passed it off as it needing a retorque on the suspension, but just haven't found the time to get it done.

Well, this morning I decided to be a badass at work and take my front row parking spot again, and while doing my photography end of the deal I started to notice some **** going on.

Front row parking. Sweet flex bro!

20160108_092633_zps1bkzbwuo.jpg

Another angle. So badass. Notice anything weird with the steering?

20160108_084053_zpsj0lrkrkt.jpg

Blah blah blah Badass photo

20160108_092626_zpsidagraav.jpg

Still don't notice? Let's zoom.

20160108_09262601_zps8nhabsps.jpg

No? Hold on.

20160108_09262602_zpsg0s0xymj.jpg

PHAWKING SMASHED STABILIZER!

20160108_09262603_zpsrfy2kgy3.jpg

And if that's not enough to get some blood pumping, check this out.

20160108_092640_zpslblbdajv.jpg

Yeah. Leaking shock. But that's not all.

20160108_09264001_zps2ykjyisw.jpg

Rusting shock!

So I've given up. I just ordered Fox 2.0's to replace everything with. I'll be holding out on going coilovers here for a while anyways, going to stick with my original thoughts of do that and long arm in the rear once I have Dana 60's and I'm ready to bump up to 37's.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that's ****** about the stabilizer shock but will bds not cover the rusting shock at all?

OP
OP
NightMares

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah they did. I got credit for the one shock so rather than get bds i just applied the credit towards the Fox shocks and stabilizers.