No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder if my 2020 Power wagon is faulty. Today I tried backing up with the door open and no seat belt fastened. It backed up even when I took my foot of the brake altho not sure I needed to go that fast in reverse as seems like having a little brake was still faster than I would normally back up.. maybe I did not have my foot off the brake long enough tho. as weaving through the walmart parking lot was plenty scary...just kidding it was in my own driveway.
Keep in mind it will only engage when going UNDER 1.3 mph. You would have to quickly completely remove your foot from the brake pedal for it to engage. So, when people say it “slams” itself into park, it’s just being over dramatic because of the disdain for the feature. It’s more of a roll stop, like when parking on a slight incline without engaging the parking brake. You just proved how hard it is to actually engage auto park when you get rolling with your foot on the brake.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind it will only engage when going UNDER 1.3 mph. You would have to quickly completely remove your foot from the brake pedal for it to engage. So, when people say it “slams” itself into park, it’s just being over dramatic because of the disdain for the feature. It’s more of a roll stop, like when parking on a slight incline without engaging the parking brake. You just proved how hard it is to actually engage auto park when you get rolling with your foot on the brake.

I don’t think I’m being over-dramatic because the one and only time where my auto-park engaged, it literally came to an abrupt stop like you shoved it into park before coming to a complete stop. Made a god-awful racket, about like what I described, “slamming” virtually any automatic transmission into park. Lol.

But what are you saying, the auto-park only engages when the speed is below 1.3 miles and hour? Seems like that day in that parking lot, I was going a lot faster than that when it indeed slammed itself into park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to find this discussion. I like to open the door to see the front wheels line up with the ramps I use for working under the truck. (as well as when to stop) Well, that ain't happening with this truck as it puts on the brakes as soon as I open the door. Now I am gonna try the seat belt idea!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad to find this discussion. I like to open the door to see the front wheels line up with the ramps I use for working under the truck. (as well as when to stop) Well, that ain't happening with this truck as it puts on the brakes as soon as I open the door. Now I am gonna try the seat belt idea!
Hmmm...I always just place the ramps right in front of the tires, and drive right up on them. It’s obvious to me when the tires rest in the ramp indent cradles.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jimmy07: I have hand made wood ramps with no indent...but still, I prefer to see what the front tires are doing and where they are on the ramps....just my way of doing it..

Over The Hill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 2018. 2021
Engine
Eco-Diesel, 5.7 Hemi
On my 2021 1500 Laramie, a light on the brake release comes on,PUSH the release and door can stay open while backing.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe on the newest trucks they linked in the seat sensor to auto park so if your butt was in the seat it did not auto park
Could some one try that and let us know
this would stop people doing a bypass or getting mad

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Wow this is a LOT OF CHAT for such a
simple answer. Keep your foot on the brake, open your door, maintain some type of pressure on the break while backing up. . Be safe & stay American

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow this is a LOT OF CHAT for such a
simple answer. Keep your foot on the brake, open your door, maintain some type of pressure on the break while backing up. . Be safe & stay American
I don't need to do that. I can open my door and floor it if I wanted.