No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I have not been able to find the screen entry to disable whatever "safety" feature that won't let me back up this truck (2019 Warlock) with my drivers' door open. I like to do that when doing tiny adjustments to connect to my trailer. Yes, the backup camera helps a lot, but I'd still like to watch the surroundings closely when doing this. What am I missing? Or will "Nanny" never play ball? :Angry:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong. Do the rear seat headrests block your view also?
Now with that being said, if you latch the seatbelt the "Auto Park" doesn't kick in if you open the door. You could order yourself a 3" rigid seatbelt extender from these guys: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I think it even disengages with seatbelt on , no? I thought any open door like that wont allow you to back up?

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
If you apply the brake to show you are in control it will back up

Thanks, I will check that out.

And to crash68 who usually gives good advice, you get pretty damned judgmental sometimes---as I say judgmentally myself :Big Laugh: ; the reason I like to keep the door open is I keep a lock in the ball receiver so I get close, then get out and remove the lock, noting how far I have left to back up and watch the ground out the door to do the last 8 or 12 inches, then get out again to connect the trailer as I have done for 50+ years, thank you.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
This issue has been discussed before on this site. A search should get you to the right thread. If I remember correctly the fix seemed to be to keep the seat belt buckled.

thanks, I will search for that in the forum.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong. Do the rear seat headrests block your view also?
Now with that being said, if you latch the seatbelt the "Auto Park" doesn't kick in if you open the door. You could order yourself a 3" rigid seatbelt extender from these guys: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/

And BTW: I am backing up to a small, low utility trailer that is not as high as my tailgate so it is not visible around the headrests. And before you ask, yes I have the "Parksense" turned off. Not being snarky, I just realized a minute ago that most of the folks on this forum that discuss towing are doing so with travel trailers which would be visible out the back window. Just an FYI, no worries here, I originally thought perhaps there was a place to turn off that safety feature but could not find it myself so I was asking for help. Tenga buen dia.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
And to crash68 who usually gives good advice, you get pretty damned judgmental sometimes---as I say judgmentally myself :Big Laugh: ;
I'll give anyone crap that can't use their mirrors correctly, people don't realize how much of danger they are to other people on the road when they don't know how to use them. Then there is always the possibility if your head is hanging out the door and somehow you hit something with the door, it's all bad after that.
If you have a back up camera there should be no issue putting the ball under the coupler. It doesn't matter the size of the trailer, mirrors don't lie about where it's at.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
I'll give anyone crap that can't use their mirrors correctly, people don't realize how much of danger they are to other people on the road when they don't know how to use them. Then there is always the possibility if your head is hanging out the door and somehow you hit something with the door, it's all bad after that.
If you have a back up camera there should be no issue putting the ball under the coupler. It doesn't matter the size of the trailer, mirrors don't lie about where it's at.

I hook up to my trailer on my own 20 acres, off of a roadway I built, under my trees to do my work around my ranch, sometimes taking it on the road to get gravel or sand, etc. If I jam my door (or head) backing into my tree, it's on me.
yes the backup camera is great, I love it, but I lock my trailer coupler so getting directly under it at the start is not the thing to do. Keep your "crap".

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
If you apply the brake to show you are in control it will back up

100% correct! :winner_first_h4h: Thank you very much! I just went out and tested it and with light braking pressure, it backs up just fine with the door open. Yay! The engineers thought that one through OK. Oh, and I did not have to buckle the seat belt.

Hmmm, bm02tj, you're not a Bosun's Mate 2nd Class Petty Officer are you?

Last edited:

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are welcome
No I am not

All they need is to know it is under control
The nanny things **** me off but I understand they can not fix stupid so we have to put up with
some of this stuff and just know how to get around it enjoy the truck

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks, I will check that out.

And to crash68 who usually gives good advice, you get pretty damned judgmental sometimes---as I say judgmentally myself :Big Laugh: ; the reason I like to keep the door open is I keep a lock in the ball receiver so I get close, then get out and remove the lock, noting how far I have left to back up and watch the ground out the door to do the last 8 or 12 inches, then get out again to connect the trailer as I have done for 50+ years, thank you.
I think the issue is more that you've been doing the exact same routine for a long time, and you don't want to change. I mean, I might suggest you take the lock off before backing up. Or maybe close the door while actually moving. But people are creatures of habit. I get it, you don't want to change your routine. If you haven't run over yourself in 50 years, I doubt you're in danger of that now.

I use a seatbelt extender to disable the auto park because there are times I need to have the visibility when driving off road. Like trying to avoid a log or large rock when you can't see it with the door closed. I also don't like nanny devices, so I'd probably have it even if I didn't drive off road. :rolleyes:

I don’t know if it’s related, but I got a recall “U07- DX 8-SPEED ROTARY S” which was to enable the “auto park”, I rejected that one
What year is your truck? The recall for the auto park came out in like 2018. I'd be very surprised if you have a 5th gen that didn't come with it already.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 flex
I think the issue is more that you've been doing the exact same routine for a long time, and you don't want to change. I mean, I might suggest you take the lock off before backing up. Or maybe close the door while actually moving. But people are creatures of habit. I get it, you don't want to change your routine. If you haven't run over yourself in 50 years, I doubt you're in danger of that now.

I use a seatbelt extender to disable the auto park because there are times I need to have the visibility when driving off road. Like trying to avoid a log or large rock when you can't see it with the door closed. I also don't like nanny devices, so I'd probably have it even if I didn't drive off road. :rolleyes:

What year is your truck? The recall for the auto park came out in like 2018. I'd be very surprised if you have a 5th gen that didn't come with it already.

Well I agree that removing the lock before backing down into the trailer would work and work well. My situation is that I park the truck up a hill by my house, and I just back it down the hill to the trailer (using mirrors even, har!) and of course the key to the lock is in the truck, etc. I'm just too lazy to walk down there with the key, unlock, walk back up to the truck, and so on.

I'm not sure who asked how old is the truck or even he was asking me, no hot-shot computer whiz here. My truck, for the record is a 2019 1500 Classic Warlock 4X4. Man, that's a mouthful after years of saying it's a 1/2-ton, no? And I have found that some of my truck is like the 4th gens and some is like the 5th---go figure.

"Auto-park"? Huh? It might be in there, I dunno. I do have "Park Sense" in this guy.

I must confess that I do like some of the nanny stuff. blush. :rocking:

Bruno rubio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2014 - this truck is new to me, the previous owner did not care for recalls, when I called the dealership they said I had 7 outstanding recalls :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the door open to look when driving up onto the ramps - pretty hard to see the end of the ramp from inside and you can barely feel it at best since the tires are as wide as the ramp.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
100% correct! :winner_first_h4h: Thank you very much! I just went out and tested it and with light braking pressure, it backs up just fine with the door open. Yay! The engineers thought that one through OK. Oh, and I did not have to buckle the seat belt.

Hmmm, bm02tj, you're not a Bosun's Mate 2nd Class Petty Officer are you?

U cannot disable it, safety feature one of the ones FCA put in after the times FCA vehicles backed up and/or went forward and rolled over PPL, like the actor from Star Trek. But U can buy a seatbelt extender and/or what I will post below to get past the problem w/o riding the brakes (got on Amazon). What I use when out in the field moving trailer and in/out ref getting hay bales and such. NOW on Public Roadway, I never use cheater always use seatbelt. And once in a while, at residence, I have to open door to check clearances, just all depends when backing at garage.

seat belt stuff.JPG

Last edited: