No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I have any reason to back up with my door open... but I can disable this with my Tazer[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you sure? I was under the impression you couldn’t, even with the Taser. I don’t know about that Alpha OBD thing, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Are you sure? I was under the impression you couldn’t, even with the Taser. I don’t know about that Alpha OBD thing, though.

I havent tried it yet. But i do have the option on there to disable Autopark. i will give it a try at lunch.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I havent tried it yet. But i do have the option on there to disable Autopark. i will give it a try at lunch.
Let me know how that works. I want disable mine... I really hate that feature.

For those of you that say, that's stupid to disable that feature, well then how did you fare all these years without it 'eh?
I'm 68 and have done fine without it. That feature is for idiot drivers... End of story.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah, I’d like to know as well. I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting that Tazer for other things, primarily just to keep my fog lights from dropping out as soon as I hit my brights but if that’s another thing it does, I’d like to turn mine off as well. Even though I don’t cry about mine and act like I just can’t understand why it’s there, if it’s something I can turn off, I’d like to turn it off just because I have the ability to do it.

But how old is your truck? Is it new enough to where you had to have that security bypass in order to use it? Also, if shutting the auto park off with that Tazer is possible, is that one of those features where are the Tazer device has to stay plugged into your OBD port all the time like it does supposedly if you wanted your side view mirrors to fold in automatically when you park?

beebop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It annoys me too that I can't back up with the door open, but instead of being pissed off at the nanny state, I use it as a good opportunity to remind myself of why they did it....because what I'm about to do is dangerous. Let's be honest - for 80% they need the safety net, while the other 20% can and will always find the work around.
PROUD 20%er here! I've been using the seat belt "extenders" for 2 years now on my 17 Ram and my 19 Charger. Always work great, and yes I DO buckle up anytime I'm on a public road. And I still haven't run myself over!

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong.
I guarantee that there is zero chance you could back my snowmobile trailer up into my single garage. There is three inches of clearance total, so 1.5 inches on each side. If I had tow mirrors, then I might be able to see on both side but I don't. If the truck is at any degree of angle, then I completely loose the view on that side. When I get to the door I have to get out usually five times or more to verify that I'm not going to clip the sides. I then usually back it up another inch or two at a time which gets real old if you're getting in and closing the door each time...confirm, get in, close door, back up a few inches, open door, get out to confirm, get back in, close door, back up a few inches, open door, get out....

Shame on me for buying a house with too small of a toy garage!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I guarantee that there is zero chance you could back my snowmobile trailer up into my single garage. There is three inches of clearance total, so 1.5 inches on each side. If I had tow mirrors, then I might be able to see on both side but I don't. If the truck is at any degree of angle, then I completely loose the view on that side. When I get to the door I have to get out usually five times or more to verify that I'm not going to clip the sides. I then usually back it up another inch or two at a time which gets real old if you're getting in and closing the door each time...confirm, get in, close door, back up a few inches, open door, get out to confirm, get back in, close door, back up a few inches, open door, get out....

You just described one of hindrances that people have using mirrors, they're perception of physical dimensions change. If the trailer fits through the door, then it doesn't matter if you can only see one side. The trailer doesn't become wider, taken to a larger scale semi driver's regularly rely on one or the other mirror. Now the shorter the trailer the faster the angle of the trailer will change putting you closer to the door frame, means you need to keep the trailer straighter.
Any chance of installing a 10' wide door? ..lol

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

For those of you that say, that's stupid to disable that feature, well then how did you fare all these years without it 'eh?
I'm 68 and have done fine without it. That feature is for idiot drivers... End of story.
See, that’s the thing....In all my years of driving, I have never put myself in a situation where auto park would have engaged if it had existed. Therefore, it doesn’t bother me one bit that it exists now.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, I don’t understand the need to hate it because it’s not like there’s no way around it if you just absolutely must have your door open to back up but whatever man, whatever makes ya happy....[emoji846]

Who has said it was stupid to disable it? The only thing I’ve read is just the part about why people feel like they have to open their damn doors just to back up but nothing about it being silly to disable it or work around it.

But you know, you make no point at all asking how did we fare all these years without it, I don’t care how old you are. I always have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case but so far since I’ve faired all these years without having to use it, it’s not a reason to not have one or not get one just because I’ve never needed one.

I’ve been fine with the auto park on my truck because after I learned the hard way one day when it slammed itself in the part when I was moving forward with the door open while slowly moving from one parking spot to another one in a big parking lot, but after that, having my auto ppark doesn’t bother me because I know of quite a few ways around it.

And it’s not just for idiot drivers because even non-idiot drivers are still fallible so, that’s why it’s there. FCA would rather you have that safety feature for just in case. If you never ever have to rely on it then great, nobody cares but if it wasn’t there and you actually showed one day that you’re a true human being and made a mistake, FCA doesn’t want to have to pay the lawsuit for somebody who fell out of their truck and got ran over by it, if they can help it.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Yeah, I’d like to know as well. I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting that Tazer for other things, primarily just to keep my fog lights from dropping out as soon as I hit my brights but if that’s another thing it does, I’d like to turn mine off as well. Even though I don’t cry about mine and act like I just can’t understand why it’s there, if it’s something I can turn off, I’d like to turn it off just because I have the ability to do it.

But how old is your truck? Is it new enough to where you had to have that security bypass in order to use it? Also, if shutting the auto park off with that Tazer is possible, is that one of those features where are the Tazer device has to stay plugged into your OBD port all the time like it does supposedly if you wanted your side view mirrors to fold in automatically when you park?

My truck is a 2020. So yes. it needed the gateway module. But Tazer sends you everything you need.

I also will presume this will be one of the "live" features in the tazer. So it will require the device to remain plugged in. Like the autofold mirror option like you said.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2020. So yes. it needed the gateway module. But Tazer sends you everything you need.

I also will presume this will be one of the "live" features in the tazer. So it will require the device to remain plugged in. Like the autofold mirror option like you said.

Was that security bypass hard to hook up? But yeah, even though all I want is the fog light dropout turned off and the ability to turn my DRL’s on off and designate which lights come on for that, I would like to be able to disable the SiriusXM Travel link but in order to make it to where I can enter text on the nav screen without stopping, I’d have to have the thing plugged in all the time but I just noticed, it didn’t say anything about disabling the auto park… maybe you can on that 2020 of yours but it’s not looking like it on my 2018.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Was that security bypass hard to hook up? But yeah, even though all I want is the fog light dropout turned off and the ability to turn my DRL’s on off and designate which lights come on for that, I would like to be able to disable the SiriusXM Travel link but in order to make it to where I can enter text on the nav screen without stopping, I’d have to have the thing plugged in all the time but I just noticed, it didn’t say anything about disabling the auto park… maybe you can on that 2020 of yours but it’s not looking like it on my 2018.

Read the instructions again for the tazer. Which ate the same even for 19+.

But I can confirm. This feature can be disabled with the tazer[emoji16][emoji2937]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read the instructions again for the tazer. Which ate the same even for 19+.

But I can confirm. This feature can be disabled with the tazer[emoji16][emoji2937]

I haven’t watched the video yet but after looking at the features for the newer body style trucks, it doesn’t say anything about disabling the auto park even on your truck so was this a firmware update that later allowed that or what?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I haven’t watched the video yet but after looking at the features for the newer body style trucks, it doesn’t say anything about disabling the auto park even on your truck so was this a firmware update that later allowed that or what?

Buddy. Unless I'm missing something. It's in there. Below is from part of the instructions.028e71194bec1b88f906c294cf61a7ed.jpg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Install two long orange marker sticks on each rear corner of the trailer. Then you always know where the back is no matter where you are. That's what I did for my small trailer that I could not see, and I did not have a back up camera either.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buddy. Unless I'm missing something. It's in there. Below is from part of the instructions.028e71194bec1b88f906c294cf61a7ed.jpg

Well “buddy”…lol. If you say it works then I have to believe you that it works but that’s not what I’m saying. All I’m saying is that on Tazer’s website, even for the newer trucks... like yours, they don’t list that auto park kill option like it does obviously in your instruction pamphlet that came with your device or whatever it is that you showed me in that picture.

But now that we’ve cleared that up, do you still have to have your foot on the brake pedal or can you back up for go forward with no brake pedal applied? I saw that it said for safety that if you go over 30 miles an hour it’ll let the auto park to do what it supposed to do but what does it mean by something about your foot having to be on the brake?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Well “buddy”…lol. If you say it works then I have to believe you that it works but that’s not what I’m saying. All I’m saying is that on Tazer’s website, even for the newer trucks... like yours, they don’t list that auto park kill option like it does obviously in your instruction pamphlet that came with your device or whatever it is that you showed me in that picture.

But now that we’ve cleared that up, do you still have to have your foot on the brake pedal or can you back up for go forward with no brake pedal applied? I saw that it said for safety that if you go over 30 miles an hour it’ll let the auto park to do what it supposed to do but what does it mean by something about your foot having to be on the brake?

Lol hope you didnt take the buddy comment the wrong way. I didnt mean anything by it anyway. haha.

So the picture i provided was pulled from the instructions from the Tazer website. you dont even get instructions with the tazer. So thats how i found them. They would be hard pressed to advertise EVERY feature of the tazer on the main page though. So maybe thats why its not shown.

Regarding the brake. No. If you watch the video i also show my foot being removed from the brake pedal and the truck moving backwards. Also show the fact i didnt have my seatbelt on. Dont know if that makes a difference. But i showed it. Rofl

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol hope you didnt take the buddy comment the wrong way. I didnt mean anything by it anyway. haha.
Nah....lol. I don’t get too worked up on these web forms… LOL. I only said that because I wasn’t sure if you were being serious or agitated because you coulda thought that I might’ve been arguing with you when I wasn’t… LOL.

So the picture i provided was pulled from the instructions from the Tazer website. you dont even get instructions with the tazer. So thats how i found them.They would be hard pressed to advertise EVERY feature of the tazer on the main page though. So maybe thats why its not shown. .
Well yeah, I can understand that but on the same token, they kind a need to include just what it’ll do just so that the possible customer knows to help entice them to buy it. I mean ****, I could care less about the light show thing but if it wasn’t for this web forum, I probably would’ve not really been interested in it if I didn’t know it would kill the auto park.

Now it just makes me wonder what all it will do that they didn’t mention on their website.

Regarding the brake. No. If you watch the video i also show my foot being removed from the brake pedal and the truck moving backwards. Also show the fact i didnt have my seatbelt on. Dont know if that makes a difference. But i showed it. Rofl
I guess I’ll have to watch it again because at first, I could see you moving your foot from the pedal but I guess I didn’t see you anywhere else after that that you didn’t have your foot on the brake but that’s cool that they have that on there to shut that **** off.

I mean, like I said earlier, I’m perfectly fine with only having to put my seatbelt on behind me if there ever was a time that I had to back up or pull forward with my door open and really, the only time where I’ve ever had to do that is just whenever I go to pull the front of my truck up on my ramps when it comes time to do it oil change. As far as backing up the trailer, I know how to use my shiny little side view mirrors unlike a lot of other people… LOL.

I just don’t like that if you ever forget about it, that’s got to be awful painful on that little park tong inside the transmission (that’s responsible for holding your truck still when you put in park) when it slams itself into park…

I understand the purpose for the safety feature but you’d think that they could’ve come up with a little bit better better way to do that without essentially doing the same kind of damage that could occur if you did that in an older truck that had a shifter on the column and you slammed it into park before you came to a complete stop. This auto park ****’s got to be just as damaging as that would be, I would think.

But yeah, I just got done with tech support with Tazer and they said that even on my truck it does have that auto park kill option so there you go folks, if you’re ******** about the auto park and are too lazy to get you a seatbelt extender or just put your seatbelt on over you or behind you, there is a device that will allow you to turn it off. You’re welcome.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if my 2020 Power wagon is faulty. Today I tried backing up with the door open and no seat belt fastened. It backed up even when I took my foot of the brake altho not sure I needed to go that fast in reverse as seems like having a little brake was still faster than I would normally back up.. maybe I did not have my foot off the brake long enough tho. as weaving through the walmart parking lot was plenty scary...just kidding it was in my own driveway.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I wonder if my 2020 Power wagon is faulty. Today I tried backing up with the door open and no seat belt fastened. It backed up even when I took my foot of the brake altho not sure I needed to go that fast in reverse as seems like having a little brake was still faster than I would normally back up.. maybe I did not have my foot off the brake long enough tho. as weaving through the walmart parking lot was plenty scary...just kidding it was in my own driveway.
It should. Before I disabled it with the tazer. If my door was open and I removed my foot completely from the pedal. I'd say within 5 feet it slammed the truck in park