No backing up with drivers' door open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meanwhile, I can take all 4 doors off of my wife's 2021 Wrangler just like I could on her 2017 Wrangler and drive in any direction without the seat belts on! Makes sense!

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While there's a lot of extra opinion shared in this thread, I truly appreciate the quick tip that applying my brakes will allow me to open the door and still reverse. Thanks, bm02tj , for restating that tip.

I occasionally want to open my door, not to put my head out, but because I need to see the ground to back up precisely 2 inches, or some similar amount. So while I appreciate the comments on learning to use mirrors and backup camera, there are times when it's just tight enough I want a measurement of how far I moved the truck.

Pretty entertaining thread and discussion . . . .

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meanwhile, I can take all 4 doors off of my wife's 2021 Wrangler just like I could on her 2017 Wrangler and drive in any direction without the seat belts on! Makes sense!

You can but it’s not recommended. And besides, those are jeeps; not ram trucks. And not only that, some states require the mirrors to be put back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the 21 wrangler is an 8 speed auto, then it has auto park. If the seat belt is unbuckled with the doors off, it’ll auto park.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the 21 wrangler is an 8 speed auto, then it has auto park. If the seat belt is unbuckled with the doors off, it’ll auto park.
I made a smart ass comment.....I apologize. It does have 3 pedals!

Last edited:

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ha
While there's a lot of extra opinion shared in this thread, I truly appreciate the quick tip that applying my brakes will allow me to open the door and still reverse. Thanks, bm02tj , for restating that tip.

I occasionally want to open my door, not to put my head out, but because I need to see the ground to back up precisely 2 inches, or some similar amount. So while I appreciate the comments on learning to use mirrors and backup camera, there are times when it's just tight enough I want a measurement of how far I moved the truck.

Pretty entertaining thread and discussion . . . .
I have been driving trailers forever, been across this great nation of ours hauling stuff more times than I know......I always do the door open thing. I went to hook up my snowmobile trailer over the weekend and did it. I live in the northeast, the 37(no idea how many I have but I have the surround view) cameras and sensors around my truck are always covered with ice or salt so they are all useless. I just leave the front and rear sensors off so I don't have to listen to the reminders. My 16 used to reset but these stay in previously set position.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made a smart ass comment.....I apologize. It does have 3 pedals!

Smart ass comment or not, the other guy did make a good point that if it’s a jeep that’s equipped with the eight speed transmission, it will still auto park itself unless you have your seatbelt on.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ha

I have been driving trailers forever, been across this great nation of ours hauling stuff more times than I know......I always do the door open thing. I went to hook up my snowmobile trailer over the weekend and did it. I live in the northeast, the 37(no idea how many I have but I have the surround view) cameras and sensors around my truck are always covered with ice or salt so they are all useless. I just leave the front and rear sensors off so I don't have to listen to the reminders. My 16 used to reset but these stay in previously set position.

Come on man, it doesn’t matter how many times you hitch up to a trailer, not remembering or not caring to give your sensors and your camera lens a quick wipe before you get in the truck is no excuse.… LOL.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Come on man, it doesn’t matter how many times you hitch up to a trailer, not remembering or not caring to give your sensors and your camera lens a quick wipe before you get in the truck is no excuse.… LOL.

I just went out and did 3 things......2020 3500 6.4 Gas
  1. Took picture. You can actually see out of my cameras today20210202_133940.jpg
  2. Tried the seatbelt clicked in, I can go forward and reverse without auto park kicking in
  3. Tried no seatbelt, auto stop park kicks on, cycle to park and back to forward....still no go but when I cycle from park to reverse I can back up without auto park kicking on.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing like someone self incriminating themselves about not knowing how to use their mirrors, the name tells you their function....wait for it "sideview mirrors". I bet I could hide in your blind spots.
I see hundreds of people weekly that do not have their mirrors adjusted correctly, if your wondering how I know is I can't see them in their mirror.
Nope, obviously you don't park in situation like some of us do. So who is self incriminating? ;)

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I installed the seat belt extender in my truck it eliminates a lot of aggravation.
I often move my truck with the door open for several reasons.
I also can and do backup with my mirrors and have for several decades.
The nanny state tries to kill of any individuality constantly.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
It annoys me too that I can't back up with the door open, but instead of being pissed off at the nanny state, I use it as a good opportunity to remind myself of why they did it....because what I'm about to do is dangerous. Let's be honest - for 80% they need the safety net, while the other 20% can and will always find the work around.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Nope, obviously you don't park in situation like some of us do. So who is self incriminating?
Still you, your assuming what and where I drive let alone the number of different cars, trucks, RVs and busses. To get my truck in and out of the garage in the backyard I have 3" on either side. My truck is the 149" wheelbase and I've parked my buddy 169" WB in the same spot. Just the 9" longer wheelbase difference from your QC adds almost 6' to the turning radius, the longer truck adds 20'
Aside from my 18' fishing boat, there is 22', 27' and 32' overall length trailers(all 8.5' wide and just the 22' is a flatbed) and 27' Thompson boat.
How often do you park a 32' long trailer in a back in only 12' wide spot that has 50' of clearance straight ahead. I'll do the math for you, with my truck attached the combo is longer than the length available in front of the spot.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, still so many people ******** about this auto park feature… LOL. That subject’s probably been discussed on this thread three times as much as what’s the best tires for my ram?… LOL.

Plain and simple folks, if your truck’s got the auto park then just buckle your seatbelt over you or behind you or if you’re too lazy to do that, go get you one of those simple short seatbelt extenders and plug that into your seatbelt latch and guess what… You’ll never ever have to worry about your truck slamming itself into park ever again all the times you wanna open the damn door to back up. Problem solved… you’re welcome..... Again…

What are some of the keywords to find all those post your talking about? I only found this one.

BTW, the buckling the seatbelt behind me works like a charm. On main roads and freeways, I always buckle up.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is an older post a few pages back where someone puts the truck in reverse then wants to get out and walk behind the truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It annoys me too that I can't back up with the door open, but instead of being pissed off at the nanny state, I use it as a good opportunity to remind myself of why they did it....because what I'm about to do is dangerous. Let's be honest - for 80% they need the safety net, while the other 20% can and will always find the work around.

See, this is what it’s about. It just cracks me up when some people just only think about themselves and act like there’s just no reason at all for this.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are some of the keywords to find all those post your talking about? I only found this one.

BTW, the buckling the seatbelt behind me works like a charm. On main roads and freeways, I always buckle up.

Just type in “auto park” and you’ll find a bunch of them.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Not that I have any reason to back up with my door open... but I can disable this with my Tazer[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RIRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e
There is no reason to have to back up with the door open, if you can't see what you need to with mirrors and back up camera then your doing it wrong. Do the rear seat headrests block your view also?
Now with that being said, if you latch the seatbelt the "Auto Park" doesn't kick in if you open the door. You could order yourself a 3" rigid seatbelt extender from these guys: https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/

Just, wow

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still you, your assuming what and where I drive let alone the number of different cars, trucks, RVs and busses. To get my truck in and out of the garage in the backyard I have 3" on either side. My truck is the 149" wheelbase and I've parked my buddy 169" WB in the same spot. Just the 9" longer wheelbase difference from your QC adds almost 6' to the turning radius, the longer truck adds 20'
Aside from my 18' fishing boat, there is 22', 27' and 32' overall length trailers(all 8.5' wide and just the 22' is a flatbed) and 27' Thompson boat.
How often do you park a 32' long trailer in a back in only 12' wide spot that has 50' of clearance straight ahead. I'll do the math for you, with my truck attached the combo is longer than the length available in front of the spot.
Well, if you do all that without once opening the doors to check the sides, your better than most of us. KUDOS.:waytogo:

Or maybe I'm pickier as I like my trailer, boat and truck parked perfectly in driveway, not an inch off front or back from the lawn or garage. Example, it's exactly four feet, (not 4'1") from the front and rear wheels to the garage wall. I could go on with lot's of other reasons for opening the door while camping... but you get the idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca