Oil Catch Can ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you have any issues with water freezing
I've never had any issues with mine freezing up in Canada.But i stay on top of draining them a bit more often in cold temps,and always drain them after i've been driving the vehicle for awhile and the can is warmed up. My Moroso cans are mounted to the rad (truck) and very front of the engines in the cars so they sit out where the wind can hit it them,so they run colder then most cans do.

skates15

Reaction score
I've never had any issues with mine freezing up in Canada.But i stay on top of draining them a bit more often in cold temps,and always drain them after i've been driving the vehicle for awhile and the can is warmed up. My Moroso cans are mounted to the rad (truck) and very front of the engines in the cars so they sit out where the wind can hit it them,so they run colder then most cans do.
That's an interesting point. I plan to install a Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can which mounts to the radiator fan shroud. I'm in Minnesota and so if it is -10 would the water freeze in the can?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's an interesting point. I plan to install a Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can which mounts to the radiator fan shroud. I'm in Minnesota and so if it is -10 would the water freeze in the can?
Keep on top of draining it more often in the winter,then it's not an issue,and drain it while the engines still hot,as the can should also be hot to.Biggest mistake guys make in the winter is letting the can get full,then they try to drain it cold,not gonna work .

skates15

Reaction score
Keep on top of draining it more often in the winter,then it's not an issue,and drain it while the engines still hot,as the can should also be hot to.Biggest mistake guys make in the winter is letting the can get full,then they try to drain it cold,not gonna work .
Thanks for the tip. Do you use or recommend using a drain kit for easier disposal?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the tip. Do you use or recommend using a drain kit for easier disposal?
The bigger Moroso cans are set-up with a drain valve,i just stick a piece of hose on the valve,so that the can drains under the vehicle.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We had issues with Ford V10's on gaseous fuels and open breathers. The breathers were mounted off to the sides, if I remember right, and didn't get hot enough to prevent water freezing in cold, humid temps. We had a flurry of complaints during ice storms in mid-USA when they'd start, then quit dur to breather clogging. (in power generators).

fyi - story

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The bigger Moroso cans are set-up with a drain valve,i just stick a piece of hose on the valve,so that the can drains under the vehicle.

I have a Moroso CC from my last 4th gen. The mounting bracket wasn't really compatible with a 5th gen so I picked up a Mishimoto for our current truck. The drain valve from the Moroso threaded right into the threaded hole in the bottom of the Mishimoto so it's easy to drain by placing a cup under the drain tube since there's plenty of room underneath.

Attachments

• Catch can 3.jpg
    Catch can 3.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 13

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a Moroso CC from my last 4th gen. The mounting bracket wasn't really compatible with a 5th gen so I picked up a Mishimoto for our current truck. The drain valve from the Moroso threaded right into the threaded hole in the bottom of the Mishimoto so it's easy to drain by placing a cup under the drain tube since there's plenty of room underneath.
My original Moroso can from my old 4.7 started life as a catch can for a mod motor Ferd,that i've repurposed a few times over the years,and is the one currently on my 300. I did have to fab up a couple new brackets to make it work.At 1 point in time it was on the wifes old 2016 shaker hood Challenger and i made a bracket so it fit around the shaker,then when that car got traded off,the can went onto the 300,where i made another bracket. Good thing i have about 20 ft of 1.5" X 1/8" flat bar laying around,lol.
The truck and 1320 actually use the proper can for their applications,but nobody made a 4.7 specific can back when i put a can on my old 2013 4.7,so i used a Ford can on it,and i'm to cheap to throw it away,so it's been repurposed a couple times over the years,lol.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My original Moroso can from my old 4.7 started life as a catch can for a mod motor Ferd,that i've repurposed a few times over the years,and is the one currently on my 300. I did have to fab up a couple new brackets to make it work.At 1 point in time it was on the wifes old 2016 shaker hood Challenger and i made a bracket so it fit around the shaker,then when that car got traded off,the can went onto the 300,where i made another bracket. Good thing i have about 20 ft of 1.5" X 1/8" flat bar laying around,lol.
The truck and 1320 actually use the proper can for their applications,but nobody made a 4.7 specific can back when i put a can on my old 2013 4.7,so i used a Ford can on it,and i'm to cheap to throw it away,so it's been repurposed a couple times over the years,lol.
Sounds like fun. I was planning to fab up a bracket to fit the Moroso to the 5th gen but couldn't find anything in the garage to modify for that. Plus I'm getting lazy in my old age LOL. I got a really good deal on the Mishimoto so I went with that instead.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sounds like fun. I was planning to fab up a bracket to fit the Moroso to the 5th gen but couldn't find anything in the garage to modify for that. Plus I'm getting lazy in my old age LOL. I got a really good deal on the Mishimoto so I went with that instead.
I can relate to the lazy part,lol.Once i get the ambition up,i'm usually okay,but that building up the ambition is getting harder every year,lol

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased mine off Fleabay and it's all billet aluminum, Nice hoses and fittings. Has a 1/4 turn ball valve at the bottom that make it easy to drain. Actually really great quality at not even 1/2 the cost of name brand ones.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the fact that the UPR one sits close to the engine. It will see more engine heat and shouldn't freeze as easily. I recommend in the winter to check them more often and to empty them after a long drive so you can empty it after the hot gases went through it so there shouldn't be anything frozen inside.

skates15

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pic. I was looking at the Mishimoto drain kit but it's all plastic, including ball valve. The one you have looks perfect. Maybe I can pickup a Morose drain kit. Was it difficult to unscrew the bottom of the catch can? I read that the drain hole is screwed in tight.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had one for the past few years. I even keep a plastic jug with the contents that I've drained from it. I probably have half of a liter of nastiness from about 45k miles in there that would've been in my intake. No thanks. I went cheap and bought an ebay knockoff. I had to use other hoses because the ones that were supplied with the can collapsed instantly.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for posting the pic. I was looking at the Mishimoto drain kit but it's all plastic, including ball valve. The one you have looks perfect. Maybe I can pickup a Morose drain kit. Was it difficult to unscrew the bottom of the catch can? I read that the drain hole is screwed in tight.
I don't remember having any issues removing it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I suppose only a few of you guys remember when all engines had a breather that let that extra air out through the valve cover. Later they extended it to a hose that went under the engine, near the frame. Then they routed it into the air cleaner, through a PCV valve.
Positive Crankcase Ventilation.
Those were the
good,
old,
days..............

The most recent older car I worked on was my SIL's 64 Ford Falcon with
a 260 V8, it had a chrome breather on the valve cover. Very stylish.
That is also where you poured oil into the engine.
I remember when the breather was on the block,
BTW the link for Got Exhaust does not work for me , maybe because I am in Canada?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I remember when the breather was on the block,
BTW the link for Got Exhaust does not work for me , maybe because I am in Canada?

I'm in Canada and purchased from Nick. The website also works. Check your internet or firewall if you have.