Oil Filter Bypass Valve or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've got a new 2018 6.7 CTD and I'm gathering up my parts and supplies for my first oil change. I was planning on using the Mopar filter and the new Rotella T6 15-40. I keep reading people recommending the Donaldson Blue filters but they say they don't have a bypass valve. My question is do the Mopar filters have a bypass ? I know they are made by Fleetguard and the Fleetguard.stratapore is supposed to be a very good filter also but I don't think it has a bypass valve either. This is my first 6.7 CTD and I know that proper maintenance is imperative to engine life with all the emission crap they are suffocating these engines with. I also have some EGR questions but I'll hold off on that. Thanks
Since no one has replied yet I'll go ahead and enter my EGR questions. Does the EGR have a flow sensor on it to measure how much flow is moving through it ? I'm sure it checks for valve operations and makes sure of it percentage of open valve time but does it measure the volume moving through it ? A possible work around ? I'm well aware of the dangers of the EGR. Had 1 grenade on a 12' model Volvo at 1300 rpm under load. They junked it out. As I said in my intro, I've got a lot of questions. Thanks

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Joe: You are correct about the by-pass valves within the filters.
I do (believe) there is a internal by-pass inside the motor itself.
Thus the reason why these filters do not.

I myself am looking into the BDL7349 - I have 4 Stratapores in my garage cabinet.

I received a notification from Amazon that the Wix XP filter was on sale so I bought 6 @ $7 ea.

Once the XP filters are gone I will use the Stratapores.
I will probably stick with the Strata due to the Fluted end.

I like the fluted end filters - my wrench fits them perfect & makes loosening them a snap. As well as snugging up the new filter: It's a tight fit going on through the fender well.

My opinion: The Stratapore & BDL are the top choices for a single filter system.
I might even throw this out there - The Fram Ultra & Royal Purple filter are good choices as well! All are very high quality (wire Backed) Synthetic Media filters.

Here is the filter wrench I use:

256CF340-061D-4B2E-ACB7-8457CBC9D149.jpeg

As for your EGR question : Visit igotacummins.com
There are thousands of active Cummins owners who are active within the forum every day. Your question will get addressed pretty quick.
Never any ridicule or drama - It's a awesome group!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Joe: You are correct about the by-pass valves within the filters.
I do (believe) there is a internal by-pass inside the motor itself.
Thus the reason why these filters do not.

I myself am looking into the BDL7349 - I have 4 Stratapores in my garage cabinet.

I received a notification from Amazon that the Wix XP filter was on sale so I bought 6 @ $7 ea.

Once the XP filters are gone I will use the Stratapores.
Then decided on the BDL7349.

I like the fluted end filters - my wrench fits them perfect & makes loosening them a snap. As well as snugging up the new filter: It's a tight fit going on through the fender well.

My opinion: The Stratapore & BDL are the top choices for a single filter system.
I might even throw this out there - The Fram Ultra & Royal Purple filter are good choices as well!

Here is the filter wrench I use:

View attachment 181966

As for your EGR question : Visit igotacummins.com
There are thousands of active Cummins owners who are active within the forum every day. Your question will get addressed pretty quick.
Thanks for the reply. I belong to that forum as well. I don't even have 500 miles on it yet, but I'm trying to get prepared. The Donaldson filter is supposed to be really good. I researched the Mopar filters and they are made by Fleetguard/Cummins and that's probably what I'll use for a while until I get some miles on it. (Just in case) Thanks again

Reactions: SyN

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is my first 6.7 CTD and I know that proper maintenance is imperative to engine life with all the emission crap they are suffocating these engines with.

Does the EGR have a flow sensor on it to measure how much flow is moving through it ?

On the current generation of RAM Cummins (beginning in 2013), the emissions were moved downstream of the engine in the exhaust. The EGR is the lonely remaining component on the engine. I'm only aware of a PID you can monitor that shows the percentage the EGR is open. Using an application like Torque Pro, you can monitor the PID.

Name ShortName ModeAndPID Equation Min Value Max Value Units Header
EGR: Commanded EGR Comm 169 (B*100)/255 0 100 % Auto
EGR: Actual EGR Act 169 (C*100)/255 0 100 % Auto
EGR: Error EGR Err 169 ((D-128)*100)/128 0 100 % Auto
EGR: Temp EGR Temp 016B ((B-40)*1.8)+32 0 255 F Auto

The above is from a CSV file that has all the known PIDs that can be monitored. The Torgue app can import the CSV. If interested, I would be happy to share the file, it is also available on the Cummins forum.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Say what? 13’ and up have a DPF and SCR, they use DEF fluid and have O2 sensors. The reason why they better fuel mileage is DEF, it takes the place of fuel being added to burn the soot off the DPF. Also due to DEF, they use LESS EGR.