Oil Filter Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What oil did this engine have in it most of its life? If it's had synthetic in it then yes synthetic high mileage. If it's been on conventional oil I'd stay with conventional high mileage at this point. Changing from conventional to synthetic now may give you some issues with oil leaks, however the high mileage part may help. If it was mine, and this is strictly my opinion I'd go with synthetic high mileage. The RP filter is a good choice, I didn't mention it because around here they're not readily available.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
RP filters aren’t available in my area either, but Amazon stocks them Prime. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as well. 2 days and they are on my shelf....keep 2 on hand as the missus ‘18 Terrain Denali uses same size filter.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Hemi didn't like PP at all, had PUP been on the shelf somewhere local I would have given it a try. The dealers around here say they can't even get PUP 5/20 or 5/30 and the only PUP they stock at all is 0/40, and that's in ltd supply. I figured if I have to order a serviceable oil it will either be Amsoil or redline. Either one I can order straight from manufacturer and not have to go thru a middleman. From what I've seen on Amazon they don't actually stock PUP, they just order it from someone else to be drop shipped to you. As you can tell, I'm not big on Amazon, but that's just me, some love it and that's cool too.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use pup 5/20 and works well n my hemi. Was a M1 user since the early eighties but my 11 hemi didn't like it. Used a couple To filters, but some due to change my oil, an will be using a my second fram synthetic filter. I also follow a 6000 mile or six month oci.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I put the 5w20 in it myself. Had read on dodge forum someone said it helped their 4.7 from ticking.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Hemi didn't like PP at all, had PUP been on the shelf somewhere local I would have given it a try. The dealers around here say they can't even get PUP 5/20 or 5/30 and the only PUP they stock at all is 0/40, and that's in ltd supply. I figured if I have to order a serviceable oil it will either be Amsoil or redline. Either one I can order straight from manufacturer and not have to go thru a middleman. From what I've seen on Amazon they don't actually stock PUP, they just order it from someone else to be drop shipped to you. As you can tell, I'm not big on Amazon, but that's just me, some love it and that's cool too.

What I would be interested in is if someone uses their dealer for all oil changes and if their cam/lifters/engine fail and FCA for some reason does a UOA then comes back and says "this isnt factory approved oil", would the dealer fess up and say "sorry we dont use Pennzoil because we cant get it"?

Or would they start to claim the owner changed the oil outside of when the dealer did it, and *the owner* didnt use factory approved oil?

Im also curious as to what dealers put on the invoice for an oil change if they dont actually have the Mopar branded Pennzoil. Do they still (falsely) put the Mopar part number? Or do they put some random shop material, or do they put what they actually used?

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it did have a mopar filter on it. they changed the oil when they replaced all of the lifters and then again when they changed the timing chains and guides. Nothing they have done has helped.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When they replaced the lifters, cam chains and guides do you know if they actually checked the cams or rockers for wear?

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I don't but would assume. I paid them 4800$ for what they did and still didn't fix it.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I tried the 5w30 full synthetic oil. Cold start it sounds like it doesn't have any oil in the motor. Went to 5w30 conventional with Lucas oil stabilizer. I will wait for in the morning to see what that does. If that doesn't help I will get rid of the truck and never buy a ram again.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's kinda sad - but adding all these extra oil additive products just never seen to help with these noisy ticking motors.

John: I'm curious - what Synthetic 5W-30 oil & filter combo did you try?

just a thought: If you chose to keep your Ram for a couple more years.
you might spend a bit more $$$ for a OCI & try RL 5W-30 w/RP or FU oil filter & give it @ least 2K miles.

just a suggestion.

I know for sure: Most think the Ram Hemi is noisy?
listen to a new Ford 5.0L Coyote engine!

At least Ford has some what of a fix for it.

My son's GMC 5.3L is no where near quiet.
I honestly feel with the cylinder deactivation BS & the VVT systems in place the once smooth quiet running V8s days are rare & few!
(Same for the V6s) Though I have never witnessed a truly smooth/quiet V6.

Good Luck in your Quest!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hope the RL oil helps!
Give it at least 2K miles.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything wrong with the MO-339 ? why is everybody trying to use a diff oil filter ?
I bought my truck used, and did the 1st oil change at a pop/moms shop some months ago they used 5w30 dino, and i just changed my oil today and went with Castrol Edge 0W20, i didn't think it was going to be a big deal, hopefully..., there are really crazy stories about this engine ticking around, damn.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anything wrong with the MO-339 ? why is everybody trying to use a diff oil filter ?
I bought my truck used, and did the 1st oil change at a pop/moms shop some months ago they used 5w30 dino, and i just changed my oil today and went with Castrol Edge 0W20, i didn't think it was going to be a big deal, hopefully..., there are really crazy stories about this engine ticking around, damn.

Its just a cheap ordinary filter with nothing special about it. If you want the best filtration and capacity for the Hemi the RP 20-820 is hands down probably the best you can easily get with the Amsoil filters (Also made by Bosch) right behind them. There is a thread around somewhere documenting filter testing if you have the time to find it.

In my experience with Edge and the Hemi (A few 5.7's in the immediate family of varying ages) you either want to either use 0W40 A3/B4 (Euro Spec) or 5W30 HM to keep them quiet. The same Hemi owners in the family also happen to work for a distributor that carries Edge, RP, and others so they've run a few different oil's in them as have I. So far for an "off the shelf" oil Edge 0W40 has been the best at keeping them quiet, at-least in the 5.7's I've been keeping tabs on. The top dog is still Redline as far as I'm concerned, but I can understand not wanting to shell out for it.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The RL 5w30 makes my 4.7 idle rough. I'm gonna leave it in because it cost so much!

johnnyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RL oil is no better than any other oil out there. After driving around for an hour parking for 20 mins with engine off starting it up sounds like it has no oil in it. $66 wasted