Oil Filter Oversize / Bigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndcctrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi All:

On all my vehicles I use oversize or bigger engine oil filters; for instance, on my 2000 Dakota I used a filter for a full-size truck instead of factory size (which added about 30% more capacity.

Can anyone tell me which larger filter would fit my Hemi on my '12 1500?

Thanks
-Ken

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
What does "30%" extra filter capacity get you besides the ability to do it?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just buy the filter fpr your 2012 its bigger than what is used on the 2013 and up

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
that's been my ***** since day one. I complained to Wix, and they said they only build to manufacturers spec, nothing more, nothing less. If they built a long filter to some other application, and it fit the thread, diameter, etc of the late Hemis, then we would be in business, otherwise we're SOL.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that's been my ***** since day one. I complained to Wix, and they said they only build to manufacturers spec, nothing more, nothing less. If they built a long filter to some other application, and it fit the thread, diameter, etc of the late Hemis, then we would be in business, otherwise we're SOL.

Better be careful switching filters just because it fits is not the issue does it meet the flow rate and bypass pressure for the hemi is what's important besides a larger filter doesn't do better than a small one if it traps the dirt and flows oil at the correct pressure it is fine, buy a top tier filter and forget it .

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There isn't one. The 12 already has the larger older style filter.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Better be careful switching filters just because it fits is not the issue does it meet the flow rate and bypass pressure for the hemi .

that's what I meant by etc.

that being clarified, I would still go for the larger filter, all other things being equal.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

WIX is not unique in that regard. It is the safe the route to only build and catalog what the manufacturer recommends.

The whole "bigger filter" fad is somewhat of an enigma. For 99% of daily driver type vehicles, it solves no problem from a technical standpoint and is more of a placebo affect for most who do it.

If under warranty and you have a filter failure using a bigger filter, the vehilce OEM can deny coverage and also the aftermarket filter maker can deny coverage since you are using a non-cataloged filter.

OP
OP
N

ndcctrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have used over-size filters for years because I live in a dusty environment, so I believe my filters plug up sooner than the national average. More filter media surface area means longer life to replacement given a consistent dust ingestion.

My environment is also hotter than the national average. Additional oil capacity is good for an engine; 30% larger filter may not be much, but over the life of the truck it makes a difference to me (sold my 1990 Dakota with V-6 at 313,000 miles, no engine work and passed smog every time; sold my 2000 Dakota with 256,000 miles, no engine work and passed smog every time).

As was noted, flow rate is important; the only thing in this case which would affect flow rate would be micron rating. Since the oil filter used on the Hemi is used on other vehicles, I doubt the micron and filter check valve ratings are anything special.

I have 97,000 miles on this used truck already, so warranty coverage is not an issue to me.

So the answer to my original post is "No"; thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Best,
-Ken

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have used over-size filters for years because I live in a dusty environment, so I believe my filters plug up sooner than the national average. More filter media surface area means longer life to replacement given a consistent dust ingestion.

My environment is also hotter than the national average. Additional oil capacity is good for an engine; 30% larger filter may not be much, but over the life of the truck it makes a difference to me (sold my 1990 Dakota with V-6 at 313,000 miles, no engine work and passed smog every time; sold my 2000 Dakota with 256,000 miles, no engine work and passed smog every time).

As was noted, flow rate is important; the only thing in this case which would affect flow rate would be micron rating. Since the oil filter used on the Hemi is used on other vehicles, I doubt the micron and filter check valve ratings are anything special.

I have 97,000 miles on this used truck already, so warranty coverage is not an issue to me.

So the answer to my original post is "No"; thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Best,
-Ken

If you are counting on extra capacity of an oil filter to trap dust particulates, the damage has already been done. Need to invest in better air filtration, not oil.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I am totally in agreement with OP, NDCC. In spite of the protestations by the status quo experts, OP makes good points, about extra oil capacity, extra oil cooling. If somebody made a long filter, which satisfied OEM specs, there's at least two of us, and I suspect more, who would be all over that.

RJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kind of funny, I had local Dealership do an oil change for me in the winter and the filter they put on was an oversized MOPAR filter. Did not write down the part number. I know K&N lists two sizes in their catalog.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
for what year? As far as I know the tall boy (eg Wix 51515, or Fram PH8A) is not metric thread, the later Mopar 2009? and later are metric thread..If yours is a metric, I'd be obliged to know what number it is.

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fram PH8A will not fit anymore, they changed to a smaller size filter. Pre 2013 used Mopar 899 filter, they changed to Mopar 339 filter. They even changed the oil filter untit. So it won't accept any thing else. The thread size is mm22x1.5, the PH8A is 3/4. You could find something to fit, but it won't be right and if something happens to the motor because of it, you could void your warranty.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MoPar offset oil filter fitting

Has anyone installed one of these:
i-b9q3VQz-M.jpg
It is a MoPar part and probably should not cause warranty issues.

Besides providing a drain away for oil when changing the filter, it would facilitate use of a bigger filter:
i-PGGph6V-M.jpg

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i-b9q3VQz-M.jpg

Besides providing a drain away for oil when changing the filter, it would facilitate use of a bigger filter:
i-PGGph6V-M.jpg

I'm interested in this!! Wonder if it causes issues with the 13+ trucks and their electronic steering rack??

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i-b9q3VQz-M.jpg

i-PGGph6V-M.jpg
Do you have a part number??
Link?

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe this is the part number for that adapter part #53021610AF. But it list for 2003 to 2008 Rams only.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
i-b9q3VQz-M.jpg

i-PGGph6V-M.jpg

ooo. I like that.

Looks like it should fit any 5.7/6.1
Might ask shophemi
Oil filter relocate - shopHEMI.com