Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
None that I can think of, if they don't leak they don't leak.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, my truck finally hit 5k and change the oil with 4qt's RL 5-30 and 3qt's of RL 5-20 and this time went with the new Fram Titanium filter with the elongated holes. Truck is pretty noisy on start up and quiets right down. My first OCI was the same oil combo but with a WIX XP. I moved away from WIX due to the low efficiency rating but if it keeps the truck quiet, what the hell right. Anyone using the Purolator Boss?

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, my truck finally hit 5k and change the oil with 4qt's RL 5-30 and 3qt's of RL 5-20 and this time went with the new Fram Titanium filter with the elongated holes. Truck is pretty noisy on start up and quiets right down. My first OCI was the same oil combo but with a WIX XP. I moved away from WIX due to the low efficiency rating but if it keeps the truck quiet, what the hell right. Anyone using the Purolator Boss?
I have used the boss filter before, no issues. I change oil and filter around 5-7k miles. I still prefer Wix....I've done multiple UOAs with Wix filters across multiple vehicles and have not seen issues with them.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd go back to win xp, these trucks tell you what to do. Before they were upgraded I ran the puro boss and it made my engine tick, went to RP with same oil and the truck was quiet. Now the boss is a completely different filter, but for me there is no reason to take a different girl to the dance. If it aint broke...

Titanium is a blend, wix xp is synthetic, I would think wix xp would be better in every way.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe Titanium isnt a blend, but they say it is, just another poorly worded marketing example. Maybe it is a blend of synthetic media, but since "blended" means something known in filtration, why would anyone use that term if it isnt paper/synthetic media? It is priced like synthetic, and rated like synthetic, but they use the word blended media. Honestly, I can't figure out what it is, so I would use something I don't need a decipher ring to understand.

Fram..

Metal Screen Back Synthetic Blend Media™ increases dirt-trapping and dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life, exceeding today’s synthetic oil change intervals.

Stronger, more durable synthetic blend media provides an outstanding 99%+ dirt-trapping efficiency.*

Rigid metal-screen support offers exceptional pressure resistance and flow spacing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Not suprising Wix XP doesn't have tick issues - it is low efficiency relative to others (Royal Purple, Fram XG). If there were no free-flowing high efficiency filters out there, then I'd be using Wix XP.

But there are free-flowing high efficiency filters - Royal Purple and Fram XG. So why use Wix? You get the best of both filtering parameters with RP & Fram - adequate oil flow and low engine wear.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
it doesn't surprise me the thin wix xp 100% synthetic media is a quiet choice, and we know the spun microglass filter media outlasts any oil. I do prefer the thicker looser rp filters, but if for some reason my rp was ticking, I'd go straight to wix xp as a choice. My hemi has proven some filters make it tick and others don't, same oil. I'd never accept engine tick if all I have to do is change the filter, I care more about that then efficiency rating. The proof is in the recent long term ram forum members experience, his engine wasnt ticking on his combo but now ticks.

The bad part of the GM test was not having wix xp in the results to gauge the efficiency, those patches don't lie. The manufacturing of filters seams to be on shaky ground, we never know what is going away or what is going to change, I think wix xp has a place, might not be the "best" for all of the considerations tick and efficiency, but it seams to address one of those well, and maybe the other, we just don't know.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
it doesn't surprise me the thin wix xp 100% synthetic media is a quiet choice, and we know the spun microglass filter media outlasts any oil. I do prefer the thicker looser rp filters, but if for some reason my rp was ticking, I'd go straight to wix xp as a choice. My hemi has proven some filters make it tick and others don't, same oil. I'd never accept engine tick if all I have to do is change the filter, I care more about that then efficiency rating. The proof is in the recent long term ram forum members experience, his engine wasnt ticking on his combo but now ticks.

The bad part of the GM test was not having wix xp in the results to gauge the efficiency, those patches don't lie. The manufacturing of filters seams to be on shaky ground, we never know what is going away or what is going to change, I think wix xp has a place, might not be the "best" for all of the considerations tick and efficiency, but it seams to address one of those well, and maybe the other, we just don't know.
I've never had any issues with WIX XP's in the past. Saw the Titanium at Auto Zone and figured what the hell. Probably just going to run with RP and get the best of both worlds.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know many of you in the 4th gens are running the RP 20-820, but I've read that it doesn't fit in the 5th gens. Is that true? Anybody running the 20-820 in a 5th gen and can tell me if it's an easy fit for a shop guy in a hurry?

I'm currently using the smaller 10-48, but this oil change I've noticed twice a loud tick on startup for 2 seconds and then immediately quiet after that. So its not actually the real hemi tick that is plaguing our hemis (which would tick on every startup and slowly fade out or stay there after warm), mine is definitely that dry startup problem.

Want to try a different filter ...

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what oil or additives are you using? who said the 20-820 doesnt fit?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm running 5w-30, previous oil change was 5w-20 on same small RP filter. No additives. I have about 6200 to 6500 miles on the oil change/filter, about 4 months of driving.

I don't know where I read it doesn't fit, possibly on this forum, it was months ago (probably last year) when I was trying to figure out which RP filter to get and I thought I read the larger one doesn't fit.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w30 what? Why did you go to 5w30?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Redline 5w-30. I switched to RL because I read that it can quiet the engine, and it does. By "quiet", I don't just mean "hemi tick", I mean the entire engine just sounds quieter/smoother when it's idling or running. I ran RL 5w-20 on same familter last OC, I believe it was slightly noiser than current 5w-30, and since I tow in the spring/summer/fall months I wanted something thicker than the watery 5w-20.

So again, I don't think this is "hemi tick", this is just a dry startup tick. About 1 to 2 seconds of nasty ticking noise immediately after engine catches when it starts, and then suddenly instantly it's gone. I've watched enough videos to where I'm sure I can distinguish between "dry startup tick" and "hemi tick", and I don't believe I have the actual hemi tick problem.

To me it sounds like an oil filter problem, (maybe a bad ADV) not an oil problem, but I'm far from an expert.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
20-820 will fit, I'd try that, and if that didnt work I'd try wix xp. Most of us with hemi tick fixed dry tick along with hemi tick with the strategies at ram forum. It seams like you did all you can with brand, now there are some moves you can make filtration and weight, next time you may opt for 0w30. Every once in a while even a different brand then redline helps.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm trying 0w-30 this winter because I had possibly piston slap last winter, I will get the 20-820 and cross my fingers then.

Totally not worried about the dry tick, it's only happened twice but if even that can be eliminated then all the better.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm trying 0w-30 this winter because I had possibly piston slap last winter, I will get the 20-820 and cross my fingers then.

Totally not worried about the dry tick, it's only happened twice but if even that can be eliminated then all the better.
keep syn thread and redline thread updated, thanks

So 5w20 redline had no piston slap but 5w30 did? Maybe even update when not to use redline thread when you have all relevant testing up.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had it with both 5w-30 and 5w-20. They still sounded quiet in the winter when hot (though the 30w still sounded most quiet), it was just a low down knocking noise when engine was cold that I didn't like that I want to fix for this winter.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Use the RP 20-500 if bigger diameter is the problem for you with RP 20-820. It's slightly less media area. I posted an analysis previously on this thread.

@Burla - completely agree that oil flow is far more critical than contaminant removal efficiency - IF we have to make that choice. My premise is that we don't have to make that choice when using the RP bigger elements or the Fram XGs. We get both benefits.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had it with both 5w-30 and 5w-20. They still sounded quiet in the winter when hot (though the 30w still sounded most quiet), it was just a low down knocking noise when engine was cold that I didn't like that I want to fix for this winter.
I personally am interested if 20-820 would fix this, it might.

Same oil, my truck ticked on the filter on the right, and not the one on the left when I replaced it. These hemi's are this finicky, but I think you can fix that "dry" tick, many of us have. I think the filter that made mine tick might even have better flow then the 10-48 due to it's size, but I never tried it so I can't say for sure. Anyhow, there is no reason to settle for dry tick until you tried enough strategies to call it a day. It might even be something I tried a paper filter on if I tried every spun microglass first. Keep us updated.

16618148574_b2909b4126_c.jpg

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Redline 5w-30. I switched to RL because I read that it can quiet the engine, and it does. By "quiet", I don't just mean "hemi tick", I mean the entire engine just sounds quieter/smoother when it's idling or running. I ran RL 5w-20 on same familter last OC, I believe it was slightly noiser than current 5w-30, and since I tow in the spring/summer/fall months I wanted something thicker than the watery 5w-20.

So again, I don't think this is "hemi tick", this is just a dry startup tick. About 1 to 2 seconds of nasty ticking noise immediately after engine catches when it starts, and then suddenly instantly it's gone. I've watched enough videos to where I'm sure I can distinguish between "dry startup tick" and "hemi tick", and I don't believe I have the actual hemi tick problem.

To me it sounds like an oil filter problem, (maybe a bad ADV) not an oil problem, but I'm far from an expert.
Yes, all of my 5.7 Liter HEMI engines from 2009 up to 2017 had this dry start for a second or so ... no HEMI tick or piston slap ... so, I justified my oil and filter strategy by reading these oil/filter threads and recently made the switch to Red Line 5w/30 from the off the shelf Pennzoil Platinum crap that I've worshiped as the most best oil for my HEMI engines ... well, my current 5.7 Liter HEMI is just a very little over 39, 000 miles on Red Line 5w/30 and my valve train noise was reduced to non existent ... there isn't any dry start up anymore and I should have used Red Line all along ... I'm not turning back ... I will be easing up on the winter months coming up and use 0w/30 ... yep, all is good ...