Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the box and see if you have the old filter design with the screen backing.

I would run it since it is on there.

I think I will have to move to a Wix XP or the SRT filter after my old Fram Ultra stock is depleted. I think I have one maybe two left.

Royal Purple filters are hard to find here and 5 times the price of ones in the US. Just not worth the hassle.

I just paid like 16 bucks for a RP 20-820 from a shop local to you in Alberta: mopac auto supply

They also carry RL for about the same amount per quart, had it all shipped to me in ON because it was cheaper than amazon or partsource when it's not on sale there.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just paid like 16 bucks for a RP 20-820 from a shop local to you in Alberta: mopac auto supply

They also carry RL for about the same amount per quart, had it all shipped to me in ON because it was cheaper than amazon or partsource when it's not on sale there.
@Wild one

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's where i buy my Redline oil and Royal Purple filters from Mike,as Bill / Mopac is the cheapest place i've found in Canada,also doesn't hurt that i've known Bill for 25 years and he gives me a hell'va deal on everything.They're my local brick and mortar speed shop and i support them as much as i can,he will usually come fairly close to the online prices on alot of speed parts.I'm old school i support the local shops even if they are slightly higher in price then Amazon or the other online suppliers. my philophosy has always been to support the local shops,as they'll be there if there's any issues with something i've bought

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I bought a fram xg2 off Amazon a few weeks ago. was definitely the old version. should have bought more haha. will be changing to another full syn filter for the next time. too bad I liked them...

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
its really too bad cause they were a steal up here in Canada! I started checking the prices of the wix and royal purple equivalent and they range from more than 2x to more than 4x the price of 1 xg2 on Amazon (11.50 CDN before tax):favorites68:

is there another affordable syn filter option in Canada?

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Ok guys. I changed my oil this weekend and went with the RP 20-820 for the first time. MAN, yall werent kidding when you said it is a tight fit. Granted, I have a 5th gen now, but I was starting to sweat thinking I may not get it to fit in there. Its going to be a huge mess and some cussing happening next oil change. I am happy I could fit the larger filter on the engine, but am wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok guys. I changed my oil this weekend and went with the RP 20-820 for the first time. MAN, yall werent kidding when you said it is a tight fit. Granted, I have a 5th gen now, but I was starting to sweat thinking I may not get it to fit in there. Its going to be a huge mess and some cussing happening next oil change. I am happy I could fit the larger filter on the engine, but am wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze...
Then use the 20-500 next time.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Then use the 20-500 next time.

Didnt know that was even an option. All Ive ever heard folks talk about are the 10-48 or the 20-820.
The 20-500 looks the same diameter of the 10-48, just longer... Thanks for the heads up.

The larger diameter was the biggest issue when getting the 20-820 to fit. I ended up installing it dry, with no oil in it, because it all ran down my arm. Lol
Im already thinking I may poke a hole in the center and let it drain before I remove it for the next oil change.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Didnt know that was even an option. All Ive ever heard folks talk about are the 10-48 or the 20-820.
The 20-500 looks the same diameter of the 10-48, just longer... Thanks for the heads up.

The larger diameter was the biggest issue when getting the 20-820 to fit. I ended up installing it dry, with no oil in it, because it all ran down my arm. Lol
Im already thinking I may poke a hole in the center and let it drain before I remove it for the next oil change.
I wrote up an analysis back a ways in this thread. Search for my user name in this thread and you'll find it.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I wrote up an analysis back a ways in this thread. Search for my user name in this thread and you'll find it.

Just to update your post for those interested... Thanks!

"Handy database.

Database's filter capacity is stated in displacement - is not the filter area, only the canister volume. If you equate a rough correlation between canister volume and filter area, the Royal Purple filters are as follows:
10-48 = 28.21 cu. in. standard size
20-500 = 37.95 cu. in. oversize length +34% volume
20-820 = 45.60 cu. in. oversize diameter +62% volume
EDIT:
Fram XG10060 = 23.54 cu. in. -16.5% less volume!!!

So yes, 20-820 provides the biggest canister, but 20-500 provides the exact match fit to the engine interface and gives 1/3 more volume, so I think I'll just try that for minimal problems."

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, well, you can throw the Fram out now that it's been reported they cheapened the XG line to a blend instead of synthetic. No wire backing either, since paper doesn't need it.

After working for corporations for 32 years and seeing this behavior many times, it smells like a cost reduction with lower performance that "nobody will ever notice" - except us, of course.

This change will likely result in higher restriction to oil flow, less efficient filtration, and shorter change intervals = higher engine wear at higher mileage, and possible Hemi valve train issues. I suspect this was driven by Trico's takeover of Fram. a.k.a. "it's all better now" that the executives get more bonuses.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Yeah, well, you can throw the Fram out now that it's been reported they cheapened the XG line to a blend instead of synthetic. No wire backing either, since paper doesn't need it.

After working for corporations for 32 years and seeing this behavior many times, it smells like a cost reduction with lower performance that "nobody will ever notice" - except us, of course.

This change will likely result in higher restriction to oil flow, less efficient filtration, and shorter change intervals = higher engine wear at higher mileage, and possible Hemi valve train issues. I suspect this was driven by Trico's takeover of Fram. a.k.a. "it's all better now" that the executives get more bonuses.
Hey Hemimann, i see in your stats you have the royal purple 20-500 filter,i went on theyre web site and that number didnt come up for the 6.4 hemi>Is it an exact fit just longer? I want to try it for more oil capacity?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hey Hemimann, i see in your stats you have the royal purple 20-500 filter,i went on theyre web site and that number didnt come up for the 6.4 hemi>Is it an exact fit just longer? I want to try it for more oil capacity?

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
just tried the link you provided,it says does not fit i even tried different years and same response
Posted above......evidently you didn't see or read.......explains it for you even has photo comparisons

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Posted above......evidently you didn't see or read.......explains it for you even has photo comparisons

So as i said before Hemimann`s vehicle is a 2017 ram 2500 6.4hemi redline oil, royal purple 20-500 filter so where is that on the chart YOU put up,its not.The sheet shows for a 3.7l v6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So as i said before Hemimann`s vehicle is a 2017 ram 2500 6.4hemi redline oil, royal purple 20-500 filter so where is that on the chart YOU put up,its not.The sheet shows for a 3.7l v6
So instead of arguing the point,when you can clearly see Heminmanns running the filter,why don't you go buy one and compare it yourself. CJ is one of the better guys on here,and you probably shouldn't snub your little nose at him,so get off your *** and go buy the damn filter.Just my 02 bud

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see all of the over sized replacements here. Oil filters attach at a butt plate, as long as the threads match and the canister fit is flush with butt plate, it will work assuming it doesn't bump into something around the suspension. The 20-820 diameter is larger then the 10--48, but we know that works, the 20-500 actually has the same diameter as the 10-48, it's just .4 inches taller. So if you are down there, see if you have an extra 1/2 inch tall wise, if so then you're good.